Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

rip maxtor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Milo and POTUS posted:

Your operating system is filled with poo poo

yeah we know it's a windows box

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Milo and POTUS posted:

Your operating system is littered with poo poo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://x.com/lusciousbeagle/status/1768879789245337641?s=20

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

This seems bleak for some reason, like we'll be watching GitS in five years as hopeful escapism.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
you need an iPhone now to enjoy the outdoors

Walk-up permits for Enchantments now require a smartphone

www.seattletimes.com - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 posted:

This year, you’ll need a smartphone to try your luck getting walk-up permits to backpack the wildly popular Enchantments in the Central Cascades, the U.S. Forest Service announced on Friday.

But there’s a catch: The new mobile application process only lets people who are within a mile of the Wenatchee River Ranger Station to sign up for the “walk-up” lottery, which makes up a quarter of all Enchantments overnight permits. 

The “geofence boundary,” which requires smartphones or other mobile devices with location turned on, mimics the traditional walk-up method while getting rid of the “cumbersome manual lottery and permit system,” according to the Forest Service. The perimeter also means successful applicants will be close enough to attend the in-person resource and safety briefings, and available to pick up the printed permit for their trip departure the following day.

The walk-up permits are available at 8:30 a.m. from Monday to Saturday at the Wenatchee River Ranger District Office in Leavenworth. A designated group leader will need a Recreation.gov account to sign up for the lottery, according to the Forest Service. 

The daily lottery issues one permit each for the Colchuck, Stuart, Snow Lakes and Eightmile/Caroline zones, while eight people can be allotted for the Core Enchantment Zone. 

Walk-up permits are limited and demand usually exceeds availability, the Forest Service said, as the July to September peak season might have 50 people or more present to enter the lottery on a given day. If more people are present than permits are available a drawing is held to distribute the permits. Participants are asked to show up 15 minutes early. Latecomers cannot take part in the drawing.

The advance lottery, which this year was open from Feb. 15 to Feb. 29, became digital on Recreation.gov in 2011. Before the transition, permit applications were mailed in and drawn by hand.

“Transitioning the lottery to a new digital process will help us free-up limited staff resources to better serve the public,” Wenatchee River District Ranger Erica Taecker said in a statement. “Both the Enchantments advanced and daily permit programs help the Forest Service manage the high visitor use that can result in resource damage if left unmanaged at this extremely popular, sensitive high-alpine destination.”

Interest in the Enchantments, located in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, has exploded over the past decade. Last year, the success rate to get a permit through the advance lottery system was 6% — a spot more coveted than Yosemite National Park’s Half Dome.

Rangers and conservationists say that spike in interest has been caused by population growth, a pandemic-era surge in outdoor recreation and the viral spread of social media capturing scenes of mountain goats, pristine lakes and jagged peaks.

The new mobile app permit system will begin in May. The Forest Service expects to release more details in the coming months on how the daily lottery will work. For updates, check st.news/EnchantmentPermits.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

gatekeeping 'wilderness' by wealth signifier is american af, plebs get back in isocubes plz

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
6% success rate with old system meant you probably werent allowed in anyway.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's really good classic cyberpunk that it's doing something we've done for thousands of years, but slightly faster and just feels a lot crasser.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
everything went downhill since we harnessed electricity

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There was a sweet spot in the late 90s with a poo poo-ton of qualifiers

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tulip posted:

It's really good classic cyberpunk that it's doing something we've done for thousands of years, but slightly faster and just feels a lot crasser.

~Automation~

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ah good now I can simply have my manservant drive my van filled with my many burner phones up to the park entrance and enter the lottery on all of them while I relax at home

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FFT posted:

There was a sweet spot in the late 90s with a poo poo-ton of qualifiers

Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives, oblivious. Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world. Where none suffered. Where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your civilization.

bakahentai
Nov 3, 2003
kuso atama

I let out a lol when these showed up in my takeout on Saturday. Decent cookies at least.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Ah good now I can simply have my manservant drive my van filled with my many burner phones up to the park entrance and enter the lottery on all of them while I relax at home

thank you for the new startup idea

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

RadiRoot posted:

thank you for the new startup idea

already enough of a staple in some areas (PRC I've seen, I'm sure elsewhere) that it's functionally a career path

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

mycomancy posted:

This seems bleak for some reason, like we'll be watching GitS in five years as hopeful escapism.

Stephenson wasn't far off at all in Diamond Age where one of the famous designers made his breakthrough with: Advertisements on the Chopsticks

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yes, that's what I was referencing in this, the Cyberpunk thread, with the "poo poo-ton of qualifiers" being things like generational wealth, skin color, birth location, sex,

I do appreciate you quoting it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Is The Matrix cyberpunk?”

Greatest thread in forums history, locked after twenty thousand posts

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just re-read Neuromancer and Gibson describes the matrix in a single line in the first chapter.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

the vision pro sure seems to have dropped off the face of the earth

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

spaceblancmange posted:

just drumming up excitement for the vision shuffle

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Vision Shuffle constantly shifts your sight through countless viewpoints every few seconds, like Warioware. also, it locks onto your face so you can't remove it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

uber_stoat posted:

the Vision Shuffle constantly shifts your sight through countless viewpoints every few seconds, like Warioware. also, it locks onto your face so you can't remove it.

A cyberpunk story that kicks off with the protagonist playing around with an app that randomly switches what you see with a different user every 5 seconds and accidentally witnessing a gruesome murder that way would be pretty good

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

spaceblancmange posted:

The fate of every new headset, there's a "huh, neat" wave, everybody checks out the 30 minutes of available content, then it's chucked in the closet forever. Carmack was endlessly frustrated about this because you bet your rear end Meta is keeping score; almost nobody uses their headset again after the first session or two, and they don't return them, either. Which is solid business if you're selling hardware but not if you're selling services.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ruffian Price posted:

The fate of every new headset, there's a "huh, neat" wave, everybody checks out the 30 minutes of available content, then it's chucked in the closet forever. Carmack was endlessly frustrated about this because you bet your rear end Meta is keeping score; almost nobody uses their headset again after the first session or two, and they don't return them, either. Which is solid business if you're selling hardware but not if you're selling services.

need to bundle a subscription with the headset

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

wowza hundreds of daily chat turns. thanks for the popup microsoft

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can give my turns to somebody else

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kit Walker posted:

A cyberpunk story that kicks off with the protagonist playing around with an app that randomly switches what you see with a different user every 5 seconds and accidentally witnessing a gruesome murder that way would be pretty good

I think Gibson wrote this more than once.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
in reality all you would see is weird dicks. an entire forest of mangled hogs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

bedpan posted:

need to bundle a subscription with the headset

they started doing that lol. 6 months free so youre sure to forget to turn it off. i use my headset daily though

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Kit Walker posted:

basically the premise of his new series

there’s a server in china that lets vr users connect to pre-collapse multiverse digital tech and work to save each one

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can give my turns to somebody else

That's good ive been talking mad poo poo about you with chatty for years now

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

The Oldest Man posted:

I honestly wonder how difficult it would be to spoof this remotely?

I'm guessing you download some app that you give permission to read your location data. But how difficult would it be to spin up a bunch of VMs with the location set artificially? I doubt an app contracted by the forestry service has a bunch of counter spoofing.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

spaceblancmange posted:

well claude 3 just released and now I can feed the image contents of the customer database into an even bigger more beautiful llm

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Oysters Autobio posted:

I honestly wonder how difficult it would be to spoof this remotely?

I'm guessing you download some app that you give permission to read your location data. But how difficult would it be to spin up a bunch of VMs with the location set artificially? I doubt an app contracted by the forestry service has a bunch of counter spoofing.

Niantic's Ingress was primarily a three-letter agency project meant to gamify mass testing location spoofing prevention. Now you can have phones pretending to be other phones no problem, but if you want to farm movement-based activities for money or do this https://www.wired.com/story/99-phones-fake-google-maps-traffic-jam you gotta get those devices to specific locations

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tokin opposition posted:

That's good ive been talking mad poo poo about you with chatty for years now

im glad to have brought you some measure of fulfillment

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
lol nature
E-contact facilitated by conversational agents reduces interethnic prejudice and anxiety in Afghanistan

www.nature.com posted:

Intergroup contact occurring through indirect means such as the internet has the potential to improve intergroup relationships and may be especially beneficial in high conflict situations. Here we conducted a three-timepoint online experiment to ascertain whether the use of a conversational agent in E-contact platforms could mitigate interethnic prejudices and hostility among Afghanistan’s historically segregated and persistently conflictual ethnic groups. 128 Afghans of Pashtun, Tajik, and Hazara backgrounds were assigned to one of four E-contact conditions (control with no conversational agent and three experimental groups that varied in the conversational agent settings). Participants in the experimental conditions contributed more ideas and longer opinions and showed a greater reduction in outgroup prejudice and anxiety than those in the control group. These findings demonstrate that E-contact facilitated by a conversational agent can improve intergroup attitudes even in contexts characterized by a long history of intergroup segregation and conflict.

One form of indirect contact that has received research and policy attention is electronic contact (E-contact)1,5,12,27,28. Here, individuals from different groups interact via online, virtual, and/or internet platforms that enable, for example, video conferencing or chatting. The use of the internet may bridge interactional gaps between various antagonistic ethno-racial groups in view of the barriers that may militate against the possibility of direct contact in places where rigid segregation norms and rules, protracted conflicts, spatial impediments and so on remain endemic3,12,27,28,29.

Unlike the evidence on direct face-to-face contacts, the evidence regarding the optimal conditions for E-contact remains sparse, thus suggesting the need for more studies to improve our understanding of how technology-mediated contacts can affect intergroup processes and reduce prejudices and hostility5,28,29,30. Likewise, there is a dearth of research exploring the effects of intergroup contact in contexts such as Afghanistan, which is understandable given the volatile intergroup relations and the difficulties it may impose on researchers, relevant authorities, and the participants themselves31,32.

Condra and Linardi’s (2019)33 study in Afghanistan showed that unstructured and unsupervised intergroup contacts may escalate rather than assuage intergroup anxiety and stereotypes, suggesting that researchers should pay greater attention to the conditions surrounding intergroup contacts. Accordingly, we highlight here a particular condition, the use of a conversational agent (CA) to facilitate E-contact, which may yield more fruitful outcomes than E-contact occurring without a CA. CAs are artificial intelligence programs that engage in human-like conversations, using natural language37. Having a CA facilitate online discussions could be a cost-efficient and relatively unbiased strategy for improving E-contact interactions by mitigating the risks of unstructured and unsupervised E-contact interactions by guiding and moderating the conversation to achieve desired goals. We use a CA that does not represent any of the existing ethnic groups in Afghanistan and that can act as a sort of neutral authority figure to support the goal of harmonious multi-ethnic relationships. Although Allport’s7 original concept of authority support focused on institutional and normative backing, we considered CAs a modern application of this idea to the extent that it structures the discussions and functions to ensure a level playing field that enables participants to participate on equal terms and with mutual respect for the opinions of other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
turn back! turn back! let our existence be a warning to you!