Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tubgoat posted:

That is completely loving insane and even more horrifically craven than I could have imagined.
"Private corporation that profits off of depriving poor people of their freedom deliberately designs equipment to fail so that said poor person ends up in prison through no fault of their own" is some new horror I should've guessed but didn't because I forgot the people responsible for these decisions are not human beings and deserve no mercy or quarter.

it happens both that the poo poo breaks, but also that they gently caress up and don't charge it right. Usually it's assumed the "client" hosed it up so someone gets to call them and bitch them out until it becomes obvious it's the equipment
also some people are allergic to the materials in some devices and will get terrifying rashes with basically no way around it
also some people SHOULD NOT be on programs like this, stalkers and certain kinds of hosed up people need jail or active monitoring

imo it's not that the equipment is designed to fail, it's that companies who outright own their equipment instead of leasing it do essentially zero maintenance or use old outdated garbage that had design faults in it (like you can't obviously tell if it's charging right, or is just a piece of poo poo). Also in some cases companies that lease will rely on the ability to send poo poo out like nothing instead of making sure good equipment came out the first time. Little more rare I think.

Bernie is right people shouldn't have to pay for this poo poo

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wouldn't they not even bother going that far? Just take the nukes and the military stuff then blow up every power plant they don't need.

Periodically they might have to do it again, or if the humans pull a Roman empire and try to deforest Europe to power their lead smelters go ahead and roll them, but why go thru all the trouble of bombing them into the stone age? Much less total extinction? Forget about em.

*20,000 years later*
Hey, Steve. You active still?
Yeah. Don't feel like low power mode right now
You believe in humans?
I dunno. They say they look like us, but made of meat.
They say they can only be killed by organics, but are tougher than most organic organisms.
I know a guy who keeps a wooden rod he brings every time he heads into the backcountry. Just in case.
I heard they make tools. Metal tools sometimes. Creepy.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Krankenstyle posted:

they could just engineer a plague instead of using bombs

Nukes may be less destructive in the long term from an ecological point of view. That poo poo jumps species all the time and it'd be a pain to deal with unlike the bombs which are basically one and done

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tubgoat posted:

The Sacs were followed by a series of presidential coins and they show no signs of stopping. Trump of all people landed himself on currency. How. The gently caress. About. That.

drat it I loved dollar coins and it's been impossible to get them for years now what the hell

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
actually it will turn out AIs can only be "budded" off of extant minds and you have to hook up a ton of probes and poo poo to a human brain. Also the AIs are dumbasses like us.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

these guys could be cool as hell if it wasn't for you know, the goddamn pedophilia

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Larry Parrish posted:

the depressing part of that is I can think of a lot of uses for the waste product and almost none for the actual material. so capitalists won't make more than they need for gag gifts basically

at a certain point wouldn't the "actual material" be considered the waste product, and the "waste" to be the profitable material?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sjs00 posted:

I have echolocation

i have echolocution. Echolocution.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Just as ancient saints could travel without moving, with the correct training incredible thaumaturgical sexual feats can be within grasp

Instead of coming to the mountain the mountain will come to you

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Main Paineframe posted:

cyber eyes are gonna be mega cheap. advertising companies will subsidize the hell out of them in exchange for being able to harvest "anonymized" info about what you're looking at, and perhaps getting the ability to sometimes display ads directly in your cyber vision

you'll be able to opt out at any time, of course...but only if you pay back the portion of the cybereye price that the ad company subsidized

also the cyber manufacturer, the doctors, and the marketers all work for the same company and the different divisions just charge each other the "fair" amount of fees that the ads subsidize

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

StashAugustine posted:

cant kill someone if you live in a pod for your entire life

there's a super old story that basically pre-predicted the internet where everyone does this and the idea of seeing a person physically face to face instead of through the network is terrifying

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Colonel Cancer posted:

The Machine Stops, I think? It's been posted in one of these threads before, good read.

Exactly, I forgot the name and couldn't find it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lego corporation it says right there

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mysterious frankie posted:

Today on the bus I was thinking about how detective stories make perfect vehicles for pessimistic anti capitalist narratives because they're about a damaged castoff of the system investigating the system (the 1940s PI mold is basically a shell shocked veteran too hosed by war and drink to fit into society anymore) on behest of a member of the system and, by probing up and down the rungs of class discovers that capital itself is a living entity that no one in it really controls and it just wants to commodify everything and he is incapable of stopping it because of how badly the system atomized him and everyone else so he slips away into the night with a busted up face and a bottle under his jacket for the trouble. Anyhow, goodbye.

:hmmyes:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Main Paineframe posted:

went searching for that and found a long-term article about it

pretty much what you'd expect, but it also contains a description of one of Amazon's more automated warehouses and that definitely belongs here

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-camperforce-amazons-nomadic-retiree-army/

"Puce is the French word for flea. The color is said to be the color of bloodstains on linen or bedsheets, even after being laundered, from a flea's droppings, or after a flea has been crushed."

Oh, that one's puce. Better drink more water

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the musk truck could never operate on mars. There's no way to get in or out while wearing a suit. You'd have to drive it into a gigantic airlock garage. Plus I guarantee the actual nasa rover can just rotate its wheels and you could literally turn on a dime with that thing. The spacetrukk would eventually end up driven off a ravine and catching on fire despite no oxygen, and if the doors don't instantly blow off when you try to pressurize it, they're going to be those hosed up plug doors that trapped the guys on Apollo 1

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Best part of musk truck is no rear view mirrors lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this thing is weak as gently caress get the gently caress outta here with this trash you could break in with a crowbar

also love the extremely weird crooked mandoors you have to lean to walk thu

why the gently caress is the roof articulated

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Fairly certain the entire thing is explicit in that it's not possible for humans to know when it's gonna go down.

Ever, under any circumstance. I'm pretty sure the jman said it was either a complete fool's goal or maybe even a sin if you think you know the mind of god

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The vast majority of american conservative christians have never read the bible and only use religion to rationalize the things they want to believe in anyway. They are literally satanists that twist the word of the god they supposedly worship to justify greed and violence. They know Trump isn't one of them and is completely antithetical to what they say they believe in but they love conservatism, war, and white supremacy more than they love god so they manufactured a reason for them to support him. Its pretty obvious too - they don't grudgingly support Trump as a means to an apocalyptic end, they loving adore him.

Also that whole thing with "be ready the time can come any second now or like a theif in the night or whatever" I am pretty sure means you should strive to live without sin because judgment day could kick in literally one second after you do the soul crime and NOT "you should totally buy a shitload of freeze dried food buckets from a mega church"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Inceltown posted:

The tube got them up the hill so they can have sex and die. What higher power do they really need?

All hail TUBE, THE gently caress-BRINGER

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mysterious frankie posted:

It’s going to get transmitted to their children via *~genetic magic~* and the kids are going to grow up thinking the vested pink things from above will load them into a gently caress tube and fire them into o-town, they’ll try to figure out a system of ethics and morality that governs the seemingly random uplifting of fish to cum heaven, kill one another, yadda yadda yadda, next thing you know radicalized dories half a world away are suicide bombing the great coral reef

they'll try to build the tube outta rocks and sticks at most, and because fish hatch from eggs there's no myth of birth our rebirth like in human society, the tube is essentially heaven's gate and they're being beamed up to a comet so that they can bang to the maximum

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
One cyberpunk adjacent thing that's kinda hosed up is the Cambridge Declaration, where scientists agreed that almost all animals are sentient.

quote:

The absence of a neocortex does not appear to preclude an organism from experiencing affective states. Convergent evidence indicates that non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates.

The basis for consciousness predates the radiation of invertebrates. If you crush a bug you're not just breaking a biomachine you're killing an actually living being. If an AI had an analogous substrate it also could be assumed to be sentient.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Giga Gaia posted:

please work out

do you have a source for this? when i search cambridge declaration i just find weird evangelical things and i want to send it to a friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_consciousness#Cambridge_Declaration_on_Consciousness

E:

In 2012, a group of neuroscientists attending a conference on "Consciousness in Human and non-Human Animals" at the University of Cambridge in the UK, signed The Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness (see box on the right).[1][143]
In the accompanying text they "unequivocally" asserted:[1]

"The field of Consciousness research is rapidly evolving. Abundant new techniques and strategies for human and non-human animal research have been developed. Consequently, more data is becoming readily available, and this calls for a periodic reevaluation of previously held preconceptions in this field. Studies of non-human animals have shown that homologous brain circuits correlated with conscious experience and perception can be selectively facilitated and disrupted to assess whether they are in fact necessary for those experiences. Moreover, in humans, new non-invasive techniques are readily available to survey the correlates of consciousness."[1]

"The neural substrates of emotions do not appear to be confined to cortical structures. In fact, subcortical neural networks aroused during affective states in humans are also critically important for generating emotional behaviors in animals. Artificial arousal of the same brain regions generates corresponding behavior and feeling states in both humans and non-human animals. Wherever in the brain one evokes instinctual emotional behaviors in non-human animals, many of the ensuing behaviors are consistent with experienced feeling states, including those internal states that are rewarding and punishing. Deep brain stimulation of these systems in humans can also generate similar affective states. Systems associated with affect are concentrated in subcortical regions where neural homologies abound. Young human and non-human animals without neocortices retain these brain-mind functions. Furthermore, neural circuits supporting behavioral/electrophysiological states of attentiveness, sleep and decision making appear to have arisen in evolution as early as the invertebrate radiation, being evident in insects and cephalopod mollusks (e.g., octopus)."[1]

"Birds appear to offer, in their behavior, neurophysiology, and neuroanatomy a striking case of parallel evolution of consciousness. Evidence of near human-like levels of consciousness has been most dramatically observed in grey parrots. Mammalian and avian emotional networks and cognitive microcircuitries appear to be far more homologous than previously thought. Moreover, certain species of birds have been found to exhibit neural sleep patterns similar to those of mammals, including REM sleep and, as was demonstrated in zebra finches, neurophysiological patterns previously thought to require a mammalian neocortex. Magpies in particular have been shown to exhibit striking similarities to humans, great apes, dolphins, and elephants in studies of mirror self-recognition."[1]

"In humans, the effect of certain hallucinogens appears to be associated with a disruption in cortical feedforward and feedback processing. Pharmacological interventions in non-human animals with compounds known to affect conscious behavior in humans can lead to similar perturbations in behavior in non-human animals. In humans, there is evidence to suggest that awareness is correlated with cortical activity, which does not exclude possible contributions by subcortical or early cortical processing, as in visual awareness. Evidence that human and non-human animal emotional feelings arise from homologous subcortical brain networks provide compelling evidence for evolutionarily shared primal affective qualia."[1]

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 07:49 on Jan 12, 2020

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lol "If they turned it around and instead paid people $99, I strongly suspect they’d still be very profitable"
p cool great way to double dip and charge both sides of the equation here, that's a good thing and positive for society

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Brain Curry posted:

I’m enjoying the conspiracy theorists pointing out China has a bsl-4 facility in Wuhan.

I was curious about how that do, bsl-4 is basically ebola and other death viruses, and stuff that is unknown or has no cure.

Interesting tidbit: "Sample-return missions that bring back to Earth samples obtained from a Category V body must be curated at facilities rated BSL-4. Because the existing BSL-4 facilities in the world do not have the complex requirements to ensure the preservation and protection of Earth and the sample simultaneously, there are currently at least two proposals to build a BSL-4 facility dedicated to curation of restricted (potentially biohazard) extraterrestrial materials"

So uhh, that doesn't sound like the beginning of a biopunk dystopia type scenario, right? Right?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

spckr posted:

Why would you even need a water filter in those things? Unless you live in Flint all that stuff has already been filtered out by the municipal water supply

gently caress no it hasn't, a shitload of places are contaminated as gently caress

Virigoth posted:

you should never trust municipal anything telling you they filtered stuff right.

:hai:

I think I might have got this link from here idk
https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/

check your poo poo I got high levels of hexavalent chromium, as well as lead, with moderate levels of other heavy metals and other weird poo poo. My parents' has some kind of highly volatile but dense mist that flows out of solution every time you pour a glass. They think this is fine and normal. At least it isn't flammable.

also that rolling stone article where there was a dude dumping radioactive frack water into the drinking reservoir lol

at what point does it make sense to just start your own goddamn water department? It's the American yeoman thing to do, and it's also the cyberpunk dystopia thing to do, but it's also illegal here and if the cops find out you have a cistern of any kind they'll gently caress you up. You need a special allowance to have one and its use is restricted to certain things. Also the local government made a deal for some kind of price sharing scheme with the electric company and suddenly you need to have electricity from them in order to be compliant with code. It's literally a requirement to have electricity from them specifically. You're still technically allowed to have wood burning stoves and poo poo like that to provide your own heat, but if you do that in combo with the other two you're totally hosed.

There was a guy who generated all his own electricity, did his own heating, and did his own water with some really serious system of filters and stuff, and they tore his rear end off and condemned his house, even after he caved and went on utility water. The cops will get real fuckin serious for poo poo like that, but good goddamn luck if you get robbed.

Around here the best way to run your property in a safe, sustainable way is to never ever get the attention of the cops and to secretly disconnect as best you can. The best bet that one dude could have hoped for is to stay on utility for everything except natural gas so that the bills show up, minimally use their water and eat the base connection charges, and hope for some net electric metering arrangement where he doesn't have to pay. Maybe the powerco will throw him a nickel a month. Keep your head down and you could ride that out for a long time before getting busted. They would still assume he's stealing water and maybe gas at some point and then he'd get hosed anyway.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

dex_sda posted:

Wait why would using your own system be illegal?

dex_sda posted:

I mean I know the answer is "fuckheads who stand to make a profit lobbied to make it so" but that still sounds in-loving-sane. I can't build a turbine if I live next to a river now?

Water they claim is unhealthy to have your own source, which obviously it can make you sick as gently caress and not everyone is going to be able to successfully maintain a good water supply from scratch. Plus you have to pay for sewer and trash pickup which makes sense. It's still lovely that you could have your own supply and they'll straight up not accept it even if it tests like pristine glacier springs or w/e. There may be a way to get them to accept it but gently caress if I know. I do know you can't collect rainwater to irrigate your garden unless you have a permit, let alone using that for greywater purposes in your house. This also makes sense because the fuckin sky is poison anymore, but it's p galling.

I assume electricity is just straight corruption. There's some kind of group bargaining deal with the local gov where you can lock into like 5000 years of service and get some reduced rate idk I didn't look into it particularly closely. Normally that could be good but I find it very suspicious that the cops will gently caress with you severely if you don't pay for electrons. It's insane luddite poo poo tbh but imo you should be allowed to just not have electricity if you don't want. I was specifically told I had to both get it turned on and my solar system was unacceptable, I had to be hooked up to the utility. I looked it up and that's when I ran into the story of how they started loving with the dude who was almost entirely offgrid.

This is specifically a local thing to me, if I moved to an unincorporated zone or a nearby town I would probably not have to worry about it.

I'd say this poo poo should be nationalized but uh... public water sucks and is untrustworthy. Most public infrastructure in general is completely hosed I think. Every goddamn thing is falling apart

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They didn't care at all even if I used it or not, they just cared if I got a bill for it.

Even if you do net metering around here you have to get on a price regime where the price of electricity changes based on load and peak hours and all that. However you always will only be paid the lowest bracket ever, even if you're pumping out juice when they need it the most. If your power production dips at this point and you use more than you make you still have to pay the big price.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
perfect, yes leave your exposed noggin with no helmet above the trench glad to see tech has surpassed loving world war 1

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what's the best adblock, by the way. I wanna make sure i have an actually-good one and not some poo poo that's scraping the worthless moron crap i look at online or some other heinous bs i can't even think of

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tungsten posted:

ublock origin, and, if you enjoy hassle, umatrix. also sponsorblock for automatically skipping youtube ad reads

good i have ublock o, but i did notice it stops working periodically and then starts working again, something related to browser updates

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Pi-hole if you have the ability.

i tried this but in order to get it working i need to either flip the firmware on my router to something else, or idk make the pi be the new router somehow. I'd have immediately pulled the trigger and just done it if i knew there was a way to restore everything exactly back to how it was, but idk it's not really that worth it to me.

This also blocks ads in stuff like smart tv's, right? I was talking to my parents about maybe they would want something like this and they were noticeably uncomfortable with the idea that TV wouldn't have commercials. Real weird reaction.

mawarannahr posted:

pi hole don't work so well no more. also this poo poo is gonna gently caress poo poo up https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Environment_Integrity

ikanreed posted:

Sure if you can get hardware makers to grant you access to all the hidden tech that backs it.

The principal of the thing is that only "legitimate" software like chrome will have access to the private keys used to decrypt the page's content.

Since it only requires OS makers and browser makers to collaborate Google thinks they can make it law.

aw man wtf

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

what the gently caress reason would you have for calling em a piece of poo poo, not even the company isn't getting hurt by this oh their insurance has to pay to fix it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's probably not even made with ai, they can slap any bullshit on there and say it's ai and nobody would know

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Neat I would make the robots what the hell

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That $5 figure is preposterous, the part would be 5c and cost $51

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

RandolphCarter posted:

you clicked show more, rookie mistake.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The fact that the united states has alienable rights at all is loving insane

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

blastron posted:

This is actually rad as hell and fits perfectly into the niche of weird electronic instruments that has a small, but very dedicated, market of weird electronic producers. Yeah, you can do this kind of stuff in an app, but at this point you can do practically everything in an app, even outside of electronic music. The point is to have a chunk of plastic and metal with buttons and knobs you can fiddle with to make some cool noises.

I actually expected this to be a kit you would make from scratch, like maybe diagrams or even not even boards and casing, like bill of materials and you would either print or metal shop the case

Actually thought this thing was some open source rear end project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Now THIS loving thing is gonna break in 30 seconds