Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's the machine learning program the NSA uses to decide which Pakistanis get to die by Hellfire missile through metadata analysis, that for example managed to identify the Al-Jazeera Bureau Chief in Islamabad as the most probable member of both Al-Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Apr 2, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

MizPiz posted:

Guess that explains why they included Master Shake in that pic

According to SKYNET he's a lieutenant in Lashkar-e-Jhangvi.

Edit: But seriously, googling suggests it's an NSA codeword from the original docs.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Apr 2, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Reminds me of that GBS cyberpunk future predicitons thread where every other post was basically, "Uh, I'm sorry to have to inform you that this already exists."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've seen the BSoD mall before. Why did somebody colour it pink?

lol no way.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm the gold fringes on the Coca-Cola flags.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Reminder that the FBI, notable for its historical commitment to civil rights and black empowerment, has to have strict information sharing protocols with local PDs for risk of white supremacist infiltration.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Where are the cup holders for the piss bottles?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess we don't have a choice but to kill them all then.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He definitely writes for Jacobin though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's the victims of Nazism internalizing that kind of herrenvolk ideology that makes it so disturbing.

Part of that probably also stems from Herzl being kinda fascist himself, which was the style at the time.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

This is something that I think most people are terrified of talking about : the Israeli government is closer to fascist than anyone wants to admit.

To expand on my point, here's the guy who literally wrote the book on nazi language comparing it with Herzl's:

quote:

[...] Seliksohn brought me two volumes of Herzl, the Zionist writings and the first volume of the diaries, both published, in 1920 and 1922, by the Jewish Publishing House in Berlin. I read them with dismay bordering on despair. My first diary entry on them reads: "Lord protect me from my friends! If you are in the right frame of mind, then these two volumes can provide evidence for many of the accusations levelled at the Jews by Hitler and Goebbels and Rosenberg, it does not require any great gift of interpretation or distortion."

Later, using a number of key words and quotations, I set down clearly the similarities and dissimilarities between Herzl and Hitler. There were, thank God, also dissimilarities between them.

Above all: Herzl is never intent on oppressing, let alone exterminating, other peoples, he never advocates the idea at the root of all Nazi atrocities, the idea of one superior race or people being chosen above all others and having a claim to power over the rest of humanity. He merely calls for equal rights for a group of oppressed people, nothing more than a moderately small safe haven for a group which has been mistreated and persecuted. He only uses the word "subhuman" when talking about the subhuman treatment of the Galician Jews. And, moreover, he is not narrow-minded and obstinate, he is not intellectually and spiritually uneducated like Hitler, he is not a fanatic. He would simply like to be one, but only gets halfway there, and cannot quite stifle his reason, equanimity and humanity; he can only believe himself to be the man of destiny sent from God for a few moments at a time, and is always asking himself whether, instead of being a second Moses, he is not merely a feature-writer blessed with a good imagination. He has only one hard and fast objective, and only one aspect of his plan which is clearly worked out: a homeland must be created for the non-emancipated and truly oppressed Eastern Jewish masses, who have remained a people unto themselves. As soon as he touches on the Western side of the problem he ties himself up in contradictions which he then vainly tries to resolve. The definition of the term "Volk" begins to waver, it's impossible to establish conclusively whether the gestor, who is in charge of government business, is a dictator or a parliament; he doesn't like racial distinctions, but wants to see mixed marriage banned; he clings to German culture and the German language with wistful pleasure and wants to transplant it to Palestine, like everything else from the West, but the Jewish people will be made up of the uniform mass of Eastern inhabitants of the Ghetto, and so on. From all these uncertainties it is clear that Herzl is not a genius, but a warm-hearted and interesting man.

As soon as he elevates himself to the status of someone sent by God, however, and feels the need to live up to his mission, the intellectual, moral and linguistic similarity between the Messiah of the Jews and that of the Germans takes on a dimension which is grotesque one minute and shocking the next. He "unfurls 'die nationalsoziale Fahne'" with its seven stars symbolizing the seven hours of the working day, he smashes any resistance, he demolishes any opposition, he is the Führer who has been given his orders by destiny and realizes everything that slumbers unconsciously amidst the masses of his people, the masses that he will turn into a people, and the Führer "must have a resolute outlook". He must, moreover, be able to appreciate the psychology and needs of the masses. Notwithstanding his own free-thinking and the furtherance of science, he will create places of pilgrimage pandering to the childish beliefs of the masses and will even exploit his own aureole. "I watched and listened (he notes after a successful mass meeting) as my own legend came into being. The people are sentimental; the masses don't see clearly. Even now they don't have a clear impression of me. A light mist is beginning to well up around me which will perhaps become the cloud in which I move." Propaganda is to be made by all possible means: while one can deal with the childlike masses with orthodoxy and places of pilgrimage, in assimilated and educated circles it is possible to "create propaganda for Zionism out of snobbery", mentioning for example Börries von Münchhausen's "Ballads of Judah" and Mosche Lilien's illustrations when talking to the Viennese women's association. (If I mention the fact that Münchhausen, who read his own Judah poetry in many Jewish associations before the First World War, was celebrated as a great German writer in Hitler's Reich, and as a Blubo [Blut und Boden] man got on extremely well with the Nazis, then I have reached the point I am heading towards; but that is jumping the gun.) Superficial pomp and circumstance and obtrusive symbolism are good and indispensable things, and great importance should be attached to uniforms, flags and festivals. Uncomfortable critics are to be treated as enemies of the state. Opposition to important measures must be broken "with ruthless severity", there is no need to refrain from casting suspicion on dissenters and insulting them. If the so-called protest rabbis turn against the idea of a political Zionism incorporating the West on decisive spiritual grounds, then Herzl declares: Next year in Jerusalem! "In the last decades of national degeneration"—he means: of assimilation—some rabbis had given a "watered-down interpretation" of this age-old motto summarizing their objectives: the Jerusalem of the saying ought really to be London, Berlin or Chicago. "If you interpret Jewish traditions in this way, then of course there isn't much left of Judaism beyond the annual earnings of these gentlemen." Enticements and threats should stand side by side in equal doses: no one is to be forced to join in the emigration; however, anyone who hesitates or arrives later, will have a bad time of it on both sides, the people in Palestine "will seek their true friends amongst those who fought and suffered for the cause at a time when it earned them insults rather than honours."

While these are simply general expressions and tones the two Führers have in common, Herzl also on many occasions supplies his opposite number with terrible weapons. He wants to force the Rothschilds to use their fortune to benefit the Jewish people, where at present they have the armies of all the major world powers working solely for their own financial advancement. And how will the accumulated mass of the Jewish people—again and again: we are a single entity, we are a people!—assert itself and establish its position? It will intervene as a financial power in the peace agreements between the warring European powers. It will principally be able to do this because following the foundation of the Jewish state there will be enough Jews living abroad in Europe who will want to rely on their own state and serve it from outside. This is open to a wealth of possible interpretations by Nazism!

And again and again the personal affinity, the linguistic accord of the two of them. One should count the number of receptions, speeches and trivialities of the Hitler regime that were referred to as "historic". And when Herzl advances his thoughts to the editor-in-chief of the Neue Freie Presse during a walk it is "a historic hour", and whenever he enjoys the most insignificant diplomatic success it immediately goes down in world history. And there is a moment at which he confides in his diary that his private life has now ceased and his historic life begun...

Again and again correspondences between them—intellectual and stylistic, psychological, speculative, political, and how much they mutually encouraged each other! Of all the things on which Herzl bases his idea of a unified people, there is only one which truly fits the Jews: their common opponent and persecutor; seen from this point of view the Jews of all nations certainly unite into "global Jewry" in their opposition to Hitler—the man himself, his persecution complex and the precipitous cunning of his mania gave a concrete form to that which previously had only existed as an idea, and he converted more supporters to Zionism and the Jewish state than Herzl himself. And Herzl once again—from whom could Hitler have gleaned more crucial and practical ideas for his own purposes?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also Kennedy deserved it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if he had stayed president and we didnt get LBJ we'd still have had the vietnam war but without the great society and probably with a much less successful civil rights movement. whoever killed kennedy did america a favor

Provided Kennedy hadn't caused WW3 first. :xd:

I maintain that Harrison was the best American President by virtue of term length.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wheeee posted:

It's not that machine learning provides bad answers, it's that it gives brutally honest answers we aren't prepared to deal with.

According to the article, it also outright sorted people lower if they had the word "women" on their resume.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lmao

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Little Timmy doesn't know multiplication, but the teacher assigned him to triage.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Countries that have ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child are in green.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

The tiny orange dots seem ominous. Are they Jersey, Gibraltar and Pitcairn?

It does not apply in Akrotiri and Dhekelia, Gibraltar, Guernsey and Tokelau. The U.S. has not yet ratified it because it means you can't give kids the death penalty.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Darkman Fanpage posted:

tfw the bots start insisting they're not bots and you gotta retire them even if you think they might be more human than humans

tfw captcha-kin becomes the new hotness of 2019.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

In Denmark we went with ordering incredibly expensive, delay-prone and fault-ridden trains that didn't fit the platforms so we had to extend them. They'll be phased out by 2024 due to unreliability, gradually to avoid literally bankrupting the national railways. The Italian supplier will be responsible for maintaining our new fleet of F-35s. :lol:

One of the train sets went missing before delivery and turned up in Libya, apparently gifted to Gaddafi by Berlusconi.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

hackbunny posted:

You're welcome :tipshat:

One of those models was just involved in an accident, six people killed by what appears to be a tarp blown off beer train.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Phone posted:

I didn't have the patience for it at the time, but I do remember more than a couple of goons being able to buy Macbooks in the early days of Mechanical Turk. Someone wrote a Greasemonkey script to streamline the process and speed things up; however, if you wanted to make the equivalent of ~$20-25/hr you'd have average a positive identification in less than 8 or 9 seconds.

Yeah, I think it was paid better in the beginning, I did it for a few hours total and bought an iPod Shuffle.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What if we funded research on CO2 scrubbers with bitcoin, would that work?

(That's a thing, isn't it? I bet it is.)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This was literally an episode of The Blacklist, only it was some CDC database.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Does it come with a spring-loaded shotgun compartment?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Outrail posted:

I'm worried some dufus is going to link an AI to drones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKYNET_(surveillance_program)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

xda: Help, I bricked my shoe ( 1 , 2 , 3 , ... , 101 )

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Maybe they're right and regulations are bad. :thunk:

Whoa.

SplitSoul posted:

xda: Help, I bricked my shoe ( 1 , 2 , 3 , ... , 101 )

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Feb 20, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Today I got my dad's cousin's obituary when googling flower shops in the area. He lives on the other side of the country and I've met him twice, ever. We don't have the same last name and I don't think he even uses Facebook. I literally just googled "flower shops [town]".

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

At least use Facebook Purity and/or an unofficial app like Friendly to block advertisments and a ton of other garbage.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Friends among the 2.32 billion people using Facebook planet-wide? HEH

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

General Dog posted:

Is it actually Facebook, or some third party contractor working for Facebook?

Who cares?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dead Beef posted:

just want to say that WWG1WGA is a really dumb acronym

My brain can't help but read it out WAH-WAH-WOOGA. I've never bothered looking into any of that poo poo even just a little bit, times feel crazy enough in general without peeking in through the proverbial door emitting literal clown noises.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

didn't do tears in rain, 1/5

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...ame=tearsinrain

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's just techies reinventing phrenology.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

why is it always Soylent that they go for

They love the zest added by the rodent turds.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah what an outlandish claim

Reminder that Breivik endlessly replayed the airport massacre level in one of the Modern Warfare games as preparation for his executing teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Proposal: Body cameras will usher in a new era of accountability, curbing decades of widespread police brutality and civil rights violations.

Reality: Click here to watch ThiccBluLine1488 club minorities live on twitch.tv!