Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Low Desert Punk posted:

you're forgetting about all the poor people in the crosswalks that the algorithm treats the same as a cardboard box in the road

snake?

snake!?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If anything the individualism and free will are going to be continued to be massively overstated by capitalists to abdicate social responsibility and encourage self-loathing compliance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MizPiz posted:

Destroying bitcoin rigs is not only ethical, but enviromentally necessary.

and will be hilarious

If we get to that point we're not gonna stop at bitcoin rigs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd love to hear why they hate cardi b

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel more people need to realise they can just not have kids

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is about mind altering substances is that they make it very difficult to stick to a plan or control your impulses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

See also: the toaster.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, ovens are actually quite uncommon in houses in most of Asia?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Traditional western ovens in a lot of Asian countries can be pretty uncommon particularly outside cities, really depends on what sort of foods are usually cooked in a place. If you mostly just fry and steam foods ovens aren't really needed, and there's none western oven type things like tandoors which is an oven, just a different design, that different countries will use. But yeah it's hard to talk about cooking in "asia" as that just covers an incredibly large amount of cooking styles and habits.

That's very fair, I was mostly just thinking Japan and how ovens are apparently very rare in homes, and home baking is considered a fairly exotic western thing at least as far as I know from my animes. And I kinda presumed Japan and China have a lot of overlap in common foods?

I got food issues and don't know a lot of basic stuff, I'll readily admit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The only goon on Venture Bros is Gary

Well maybe also watch and/or ward

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reregs are claimed as arching Lowtax

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even in small communities the economies of scale were understood well. The kind of isolation and relative self-sufficiency at least for everyday needs is a very new thing only available thanks to technology and infrastructure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

the president from Idiocracy would run the country better than Joe.

Legit better than about any president of our lifetimes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even just having a President who identities problems and tries to deal with them, and is willing to hear out people with new ideas and actually act on them rather than just sit on the big chair slowly crumbling and giving money to his rich friends seems an improvement

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Appropriate blank looks. Shouldve done them kneeling in kente cloth too

They look like they're being held at gunpoint.

Schmoe Cwead posted:

p funny that the last jedi is an objectively better movie than rise of skywalker but all the fanboys hated last jedi so much that they all pretended rise was better to cope

does literally anyone actually do this, rise of skywalker seemed to appeal to literally nobody and mostly just caused a total exodus of interest Game of Thrones finale style until there was more baby yoda

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MrUnderbridge posted:

Is that from Paris in the Twentieth Century?

It has a very weird combination of gee whiz tech and wtf anachronisms. Like the bank with rows of men scribbling balances and transactions on giant rolls of paper.

And it deffo fits into this thread. The whole thing is so dystopian. No music or arts, synthetic food made from coal, and mindlessly repetitive work. Verne's publisher refused to print it, saying it was "too unbelievable" and dark.

It's kinda funny how sci-fi extrapolating from current trends can get a mix of very accurate and hilariously inaccurate. Also very good material for Warhammer 40k. That's straight out of the Administratum. That said, I feel like a lot of it is also Verne observing the worst parts of industrial Europe taken to their horrific conclusions, and for a good chunk of it he wasn't wrong.

Also reminds me of The Jetsons and general sci-fi that pretty blatantly has robots taking the place of domestic servants. Which is a pretty fair extrapolation and analogy for how domestic technology and automation has changed household life, turning chores that once took up nearly all of people's time into just pressing a button, but it also seems to illustrate how ingrained people's attitudes of how society would look like often are, or just shaped by their time and place in ways that are quaint to us. (and often also the writers' personal experiences; people who haven't grown up with domestic servants often come up with different ideas, or at least have butlers and maids that are clearly based more on pop culture archetypes than real-world equivalents)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trabisnikof posted:

It is a case of mistaken identity when George is kidnapped by an enemy spy organization called SNEAK. During his ordeal as their captive, George discovers his exact doppelganger, a secret agent named Space Bong (a take on James Bond), who aids him in escaping their grasp.

They literally just stole this plot from The Man Called Flintstone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ahh man a spy named flintstone was dope

It's kinda lol how the movie presents a stone-age space program completely straight faced. Also a bit where Fred and Barney are trapped on an ICBM with no escape, and glumly resign themselves to their fate, and are at least able to change the target from hitting anyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

eSports Chaebol posted:

I heard from an iRobot guy that they originally made a custom controller for their EOD bots that met all sorts of ridiculous requirements like EMP resistance but it wasn’t 100% dustproof and unbreakable and cost five figures per unit so eventually they gave up and just started buying crates of DualShocks and modding them because it was cheaper that way even if you treated them as literal one-use items

This tracks with literally everything I hear about engineers and military procurement. The parasites outweigh the mass of the host.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole 'C'mon, I bet Russia's nukes don't even work!' poo poo is probably projection.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

everybody gets their own assassin drone.

That sounds like a decent video game title.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The paperclip maximiser is literally just describing capitalism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's unfortunately catnip to a very particular kind of nerd who glommed onto the idea of being Smart and Logical as a superpower either as a coping mechanism or an expression of unbridled narcissism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FFT posted:

I do think Yud did the opposite of the "someone guessed it so we have to change the ending" thing, but specifically in that he had no idea how to end it and went with the guess he liked because it was like a year pause before he put out the final chapter.

To be honest, that's the one legitimately smart thing he did there, probably. Storytelling is best done collaboratively, one way or another.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FFT posted:

Oh, absolutely, I did mean that as a positive thing.

Just also kinda negative in the "he had no idea how to finish it" sense vs the "someone guessed our ending so we have to change it" process

True, but he's in good company in 'had no idea how to finish it' department considering. Writing just be like that sometimes. Pretty rare to have a coherent beginning, middle AND ending all in mind without getting stuck somewhere and deciding to finish it later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kit Walker posted:

And hey, Worm underlines a really important moral I think we've all already known: lesbians can kill god

We've watched an anime, yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Editors cost money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

redleader posted:

it "powers hell"

We all know that's propane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqdDjNAyPdA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, the battle themes in Pokemon are in a particular style also used by Flight of the Bumblebee, though I don't know anything about music theory to expound on it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always knew we're on course for the Butlerian Jihad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Tetris 99 top ten theme is probably just stuck in my brain forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm always reminded of the article where one developer was like 'I saw my kid playing Animal Crossing and it blew my mind!' and apparently did no further actual observation or research as to what it is or how it works

Carthag Tuek posted:

general fair use i assume, its ok to summarize a a scene from a movie in a school essay, and a book can apparently be 500 school essays intwined

probably the movie had a bunch of deals to get over (unless they just used generic standins, in which case i probably should have watched it)

IIRC it's all just stuff that WB owns, which is a lot (see also The Lego Batman Movie, Space Jam 2) and some deals like Gundam, also Battleborn or something for some reason that's lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

like how Foodfight! had a bunch of deals to use actual brand icons but also inexplicably decided that everyone was really slavering for Dex Dogtective and some kind of racist squirrel pilot played by Wayne Brady(?!)

IIRC they also took so long to release the movie that they had to cut or genericise a lot of characters since the licensing deals had expired, on top of all the other problems with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lol trying to explain things to people who can and will literally beat the poo poo out of you if you say something they don't like or get bored

a sensitivity trainer literally got beaten and arrested by cops on the way home from training that one time at least

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd watch Skeletor's comedy special. Especially if they just expand on the time he was a monster truck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Half-wit posted:

Well, the focus studies decided that "toxic data pits" wasn't going to sell well.

Sounds like a Mega Man Battle Network stage.

Man, we really need a new one of those, those games were loving prescient. The internet being such a dumpster fire you need a personal AI just to stop the constant onslaught of malware and everything being online regardless of any rhyme or reason...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shareholder meetings in Yakuza 7 apparently aren't that different from real life. Though the chicken is more useful in those.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tulip posted:

Part of the enduring legacy of Chick Tracts is how genuinely, and very humanly, bizarre they are. "Courtesy of the vatican" is such a cryptic phrase.

They are a very specific brand of American Protestant brainworms where it's taken for granted the Catholic Church is basically COBRA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I used to be that way but then once i was like "okay Vicodin it is" and after I took one I was like "fuuuuuck this is awful why would you do this for fun?"

Kinda lol everyone knows that from House but actually probably a good idea to get it wrong so people inevitably trying to imitate him will find it's actually pretty hard to have a Vicodin habit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just know someone who's a fancy pirate and ask them for stuff and they'll give it to you gladly on one of their ten zillion old usb sticks or sd cards. It's like gardening, they love giving the stuff away, it makes them feel useful.