Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Ham Equity posted:

Powershell is extremely well-documented, and if you are a Windows Sysadmin or engineer, it is generally very safe to assume that the next person in your position or working on your script will also know Powershell.

It is not the best language for anything except Windows system administration, but even if you don't know it, it's relatively easy to modify someone else's script with some googling. It's not the best, but as a business tool that's pretty reliable, I would absolutely choose it over most other languages.

If you're not working in a Windows environment, then assume I have no idea what the gently caress I'm talking about. Hell, even in a Windows environment, I barely know what the gently caress I'm talking about.

^^^

I've done some scripting of windows sysadmin stuff in Python and it's really poor for this kind of thing, which makes sense, given that Python isn't really meant for this in the first place. It has a really hard time with accessing the registry or altering other windows system settings and it generally takes multiple lines of code to do things you can do with a single command in PS

You can do windows sysadmin stuff with Python but you should not. It's still really good to know Python!

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Edit: ehhh

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Cool, one step closer to frying the neural interface of a netrunner