Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Talking to a cuddly pooh bear about war crimes really seems to open people up.

Honest confession is rare jewel among the roiling sea of lovely egos that is youtube.

The vital flaw, is that it's in Vr, which is just about as far from anonymity as you can possibly get.

"let's get people to mainline facebook by strapping it directly to their eyeballs, what could possibly go wrong?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

These people are the biggest rubes.
Freezing causes cells to dehydrate and rupture. Good luck recovering from that.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Depends if the body was properly prepped or not. The rupturing of cells is typically caused by ice-crystals forming in the cell. So essentially if you embalm the body with some form of antifreeze, and then get it to sub zero very quickly, you can get the body into the "frozen" state without ice crystals forming. Many amphibians do this in the winter, freezing solid but surviving the process because of a natural antifreeze secreted in their cells.

I'm sure most cryogenically preserved bodies though have not been properly prepped.

True, none of these bodies were prepped, because no one knows how to do it with humans.

Cryonics isn't impossible, it just isn't possible right now. All current frozen bodies are dead, now and forever.

endlessmonotony posted:

With enough computing power and a scanner powerful enough, you could theoretically calculate how to reverse the process and then print out a copy of the person.

Yes this means we have to be able to print a person, brains and all, before this could even theoretically work.
That isn't cryonics though. Why bother freezing them at all, if you have the ability to just print out another one?

I have my doubts about repairing cell damage in the brain caused by freezing, seems like you'd probably end up with a perfectly identical vegetable. It would be like drilling holes in a hard drive, then smashing it with a hammer, then scorching it with a blowtorch for good measure, then wondering why you got laughed out of the office at the data recovery place.

taqueso posted:

its in a bunch of scifi media though :ohdear:

Interstellar space travel has been just around the corner in sci fi for over half a century too. We haven't even figured out how to keep astronauts from frying like bacon in the radiation of interplanetary travel, let alone get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.

Svaha has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Jan 22, 2021

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

i read this sci fi book once where there were a bunch of people scavenging in this old high tech ruin which had served as a cryo facility. the scavengers just went around looting all the technology and throwing the frozen rich people on a trash heap. p cool.

Honestly, this seems like the most likely outcome.
Either that, or
"Eh. No one is around anymore to care about honouring the contract and electricity is expensive, pull the plug."

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

the trick is that they don't have to pay till after they're dead, so whether or not it works doesn't really matter to the person getting frozen. they don't pay anything while they're alive, so they don't actually have to have much money on hand. they can just sign their life insurance or their house or something over to the cryonics company in their will

even if it turns out to be a scam, it's their kids who lose out, not them

Ultimate Boomer post-death strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

blatman posted:

every time someone has their penis surgically removed, the doctor calls me up "its go time" and they attach it to me - i am a sea urchin of unwanted dicks
This was an actual character in an Iain M. Banks book. I think it was his last one where the entire human race becomes so anarchist that we transcend reality into a higher plane of being.