Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you live near Oklahoma, the current rumor mill is that the Lips are gonna do a "secret" Christmas show in their hometown. I'll post more when I know more, but this comes from a very reliable source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The Soft Bulletin recording with the Colorado Symphony is up on streaming now.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The new album is outstanding. The most unaltered and uneffected performances of, like, rock n roll instrumentation since Clouds Taste Metallic?

The production overall is totally modern Lipsy and psychedelic, but I was shocked at, just, the clarity of the drums and bass and guitar parts.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
It's very very good, another great Flaming Lips record. Last half is even stronger than the already-good first half

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
God drat the new album is great. I don't think it's an instant classic by any means but it's nice to get a top to bottom solid album from them again. I'm all for bands growing and changing and experimenting (provided it works) but it is nice that we're getting some more vintage sound out of them.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Having finally gotten around to listening to American Head, I can say it's easily their best album since At War With the Mystics, which I had considered their last great album (yes, I am one of those people).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

Having finally gotten around to listening to American Head, I can say it's easily their best album since At War With the Mystics, which I had considered their last great album (yes, I am one of those people).

I gave it another listen today and I think it might be my favorite next to Clouds.
I liked Embryonic/The Terror a lot too in their own ways but I was just horrifically put off by Wayne as a person. Getting some distance from his midlife crisis and putting out a good album that isn't just experimental noise was the avenue I needed to be able to enjoy their work again so I'm glad for it.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Listening to American Head on my new Grado sr80x phones and I have cried twice. That’s not because of the headphones though, this album has made me cry all three times I’ve listened to it.

Dinosaurs on the Mountain is an all timer for me.

Lost two friends to heroin in the last couple years. Flowers of Neptune 9 is really heavy for me

Amazing record.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The general vibe in this thread seems to be that I should be embarrassed to like Yoshimi, but I'm not, drat it. There was a time in my life that I didn't like much music at all, the only band that got regular rotation was Pink Floyd. Mainstream radio stuff did nothing for me, my friends were into metal and more hardcore stuff, and finding new things was tough. I'd download random bootlegs just to see what was out there, and some then contemporary recordings of The Flaming Lips and Belle & Sebastian's 2004 Coachella set reeled me in and opened doors to an unfamiliar and exciting music scene. I fell in love with Yoshimi and The Soft Bulletin.

Flash forward a bit - a bout with depression killed my enthusiasm for music and live music for many years, but I found myself on the other side of it back in 2019. I made a vow to see all my favorite artists like it might be the last opportunity AND get my favorite albums signed by the artists. I started buying up my favorites on vinyl in preparation, and of course the pandemic put a pause on that project for a bit.

I finally got the opportunity the other day. It was kind of surreal, I'm so used to seeing Wayne dressed up for photos or shows, but he was just wearing a hoodie, and his hair was pulled back and just looked like any other person you'd pass on the street. I don't mean this at all in a star struck way, I've met many of my favorite musicians but there's generally not a big gulf between their stage persona and their everyday attire. Wayne was kind, signed all my stuff, and when he came out later and saw me still standing around, asked if I was waiting for Stephen, and offered to bring my stuff on to the bus for him to sign. My only regret is that I didn't have a copy of Embryonic on vinyl to get signed, I adore that album.

The show was a lot of fun. Seems like they're sticking to a crowd-pleasing setlist - 4 songs off Yoshimi, 3 off The Soft Bulletin, yet only 2 tracks off of American Head that they're supposedly touring in support of. It had been over 10 years since I saw the Lips live and was worried that the shtick may have grown tired, but the pageantry and energy can still consume you if you let it.

As for Lips news, I didn't see it mentioned, but Michael Ivins is no longer in the band.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I wouldn't worry too much. When a band has as much output as the Lips have, and they have such a varied career, I find people disagree on what is their best or worst work.

For example, a memory that just got pulled from the deep somehow, was when I was buying Yoshimi at a record store back in 2003, the guy behind the counter was bad mouthing the Lips and their last two albums (that being Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin). They are now my two favourite Lips albums.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

roffels posted:

The general vibe in this thread seems to be that I should be embarrassed to like Yoshimi, but I'm not, drat it. There was a time in my life that I didn't like much music at all, the only band that got regular rotation was Pink Floyd. Mainstream radio stuff did nothing for me, my friends were into metal and more hardcore stuff, and finding new things was tough. I'd download random bootlegs just to see what was out there, and some then contemporary recordings of The Flaming Lips and Belle & Sebastian's 2004 Coachella set reeled me in and opened doors to an unfamiliar and exciting music scene. I fell in love with Yoshimi and The Soft Bulletin.

Flash forward a bit - a bout with depression killed my enthusiasm for music and live music for many years, but I found myself on the other side of it back in 2019. I made a vow to see all my favorite artists like it might be the last opportunity AND get my favorite albums signed by the artists. I started buying up my favorites on vinyl in preparation, and of course the pandemic put a pause on that project for a bit.

I finally got the opportunity the other day. It was kind of surreal, I'm so used to seeing Wayne dressed up for photos or shows, but he was just wearing a hoodie, and his hair was pulled back and just looked like any other person you'd pass on the street. I don't mean this at all in a star struck way, I've met many of my favorite musicians but there's generally not a big gulf between their stage persona and their everyday attire. Wayne was kind, signed all my stuff, and when he came out later and saw me still standing around, asked if I was waiting for Stephen, and offered to bring my stuff on to the bus for him to sign. My only regret is that I didn't have a copy of Embryonic on vinyl to get signed, I adore that album.

The show was a lot of fun. Seems like they're sticking to a crowd-pleasing setlist - 4 songs off Yoshimi, 3 off The Soft Bulletin, yet only 2 tracks off of American Head that they're supposedly touring in support of. It had been over 10 years since I saw the Lips live and was worried that the shtick may have grown tired, but the pageantry and energy can still consume you if you let it.

As for Lips news, I didn't see it mentioned, but Michael Ivins is no longer in the band.

Yoshimi is my favorite album from them and I saw them back in 2010 twice on the Embryonic tour and those shows hosed, they were like perfect shows for college me.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
oh hey this thread is still alive. Neat!

I still love The Flaming Lips and don't think they've ever stopped putting out excellent material. Saw the last week in Chicago and it was the best show I've ever been to, insane set with tons of energy.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Epi Lepi posted:

Yoshimi is my favorite album from them and I saw them back in 2010 twice on the Embryonic tour and those shows hosed, they were like perfect shows for college me.

I caught them a couple times after they released their Dark Side cover album, and same. I was worried I may have outgrown their shtick, but still had fun.

Not sure if it counts as :filez: but I tape audio to shows (we don't call them bootlegs!), and I taped St. Paul's show the other night. PM me if you're into that sort of thing.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

roffels posted:

The general vibe in this thread seems to be that I should be embarrassed to like Yoshimi,

It’s a classic album OP. Perfect, I’d say

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm glad American Head was a great album, because I was worried they'd never make one again. From my perspective, everything from Embryonic to King's Mouth is too clever for its own good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
american head is definitely good and definitely the only thing they've done since embryonic that i haven't listened to once and then forgotten about

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

i just saw Mercury Rev open for Brian Jonestown Massacre and they are still loving great and they kinda upstaged BJM

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

TengenNewsEditor posted:

i just saw Mercury Rev open for Brian Jonestown Massacre and they are still loving great and they kinda upstaged BJM
Jealous!

I keep looking at the setlist site to see if they're playing any new songs but they don't seem to have. Did they just play the hits or was there anything new?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

T-Paine posted:

Jealous!

I keep looking at the setlist site to see if they're playing any new songs but they don't seem to have. Did they just play the hits or was there anything new?

It was mostly stuff from Deserter's Songs, a couple covers, I think one song from the next album and one or two from Yerself is Steam. The Funny Bird was one of the best songs I've seen live by any band, just an incredible set opener.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TengenNewsEditor posted:

BJM played here last week but without Mercury Rev... i would have gone if it had been both but late stage Anton Newcombe depresses me more than late stage Wayne Coyne

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Dogfish makes awesome beer. The flaming lips do not make awesome music any more. Seaquench ale and 120 minute are the best beers

I was wrong apparently. Listened to American Head on a whim and it’s beautiful, some real good sad boy poo poo. I’m obsessed. I know a lot of people, myself included, bailed after the gummy collaborations period but this album is so so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I was wrong apparently. Listened to American Head on a whim and it’s beautiful, some real good sad boy poo poo. I’m obsessed. I know a lot of people, myself included, bailed after the gummy collaborations period but this album is so so good.

yeah buddy. i listened to it all the way through a couple days ago and it deffo holds up. honestly, might even be in my top 5 Lips albums. it's definitely about as good as Embryonic. "flowers of neptune 6" is so sad

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Seaquench ale is still good.

Aside from peace sword I haven’t made it all the way through a lips album since embryonic so I was definitely very pumped this turned out so great.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
120 minute is just too fuckin strong, 90 minute all day.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
It is too strong but it tastes really really good. I don’t gently caress with the 90 minute. 60 is good if I just want a normal IPA which is basically never nowadays. Imperial ipa or no ipa.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hope that no one minds a big bump, but I just added "At War With The Mystics" and "Fight Test" to my music collection recently. I previously only had Yoshimi, which was in my uncle's CD collection that I took when he passed a few years ago.

Anyways, I was listening to AWWTM over the last month or so, and the guitar loop in "The W.A.N.D." sounds extremely familiar to me, but I can't place from where. Does anyone know if another song used that guitar sound as a sample, or was it a sample from another song? I couldn't find anything online.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

IUG posted:

I hope that no one minds a big bump, but I just added "At War With The Mystics" and "Fight Test" to my music collection recently. I previously only had Yoshimi, which was in my uncle's CD collection that I took when he passed a few years ago.

Anyways, I was listening to AWWTM over the last month or so, and the guitar loop in "The W.A.N.D." sounds extremely familiar to me, but I can't place from where. Does anyone know if another song used that guitar sound as a sample, or was it a sample from another song? I couldn't find anything online.

I think it’s just a general riff that shreds. Somebody probably wrote it before because guitars as old as poo poo but I don’t think they were quoting anyone in particular

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I saw the Lips last Wednesday, and out of the three times I've seen them it was the best they've ever been. How?? sounded miles better than the album version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Edward Mass posted:

I saw the Lips last Wednesday, and out of the three times I've seen them it was the best they've ever been. How?? sounded miles better than the album version.
I just got home from seeing them for the second time, and yeah, that show kicked rear end. One of my favorite shows I've seen in the last few years. I remember liking the first time I saw them a lot, but it was at an outdoor festival and I was kinda far back. This time was in an indoor theater and I was right up against the stage.

They're performing Yoshimi in its entirety on this tour, so that was an absolute treat. They did that as one set, took a break, did another set, then did an encore. In the second set they played She Don't Use Jelly, Waitin' for a Superman, The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung, My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion, A Spoonful Weighs a Ton, Race for the Prize and a few others. Just an incredible couple sets in which they played almost everything I could want to hear from them.

How is Wayne still doing this? I looked him up on Wiki on the way home and he's 63 years old :eyepop: But he's still energetic as hell, doing costume changes and set changes for almost every song of the second set. And yes, he got in the bubble and performed a few songs from there.

Also, the amount of confetti blasted out was absurd. By the end of the show, I was absolutely covered in it. And the show was in this beautiful historic theater, so I don't envy the cleanup that has to happen after that.