Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bump_fn posted:

wandering dick syndrome

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

the university i went to had every building connected together with underground tunnels (as a measure against the canadian winter) and there were shops and classrooms and all sorts of things on this tunnel level so as a result every building's ground-level floor was signed as the second floor.

very confusing to visitors

gently caress. i wish my school'd had those. there's lots of places that get worse winters than michigan, but my university's campus had a few spots where close together buildings generated these really hosed up wind tunnel micro climates. bad stuff.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
smh if you don't become a boss and immediately implement TPS reports

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

Proud to be both apparently the post that got the last thread gassed and also the source of the title for this one :toot:
it was a pretty good epitaph, as far as they go

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
university of rochester has those underground tunnels and it is very nice and good.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
THIRD FLOOR!

see you in another ten thousand posts

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

last week’s hot/cold swing made my cold sores come back god damnit this cute chick invited me to her birthday party this weekend too :mad:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

BooLoo posted:

THIRD FLOOR!

oh poo poo it’s booloo

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

it's extra bad when a building is on a hill and has street entrances on both ground and first floors
This is like half of my campus. The worst part is the street level floors are like 3, 4, and 5 often (there are subfloors)

Also we have enclosed bridges between quite a few buildings, no tunnels though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cjs update the meeting was a disaster :cripes: but we never even made it to my presentation because the others were too busy loving bikeshedding so i guess that's a net personal victory, last thing i want to do right now is open my mouth

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Rex-Goliath posted:

oh poo poo it’s booloo

Sup :) just had to make sure everything was still green

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

or amber as the case may be

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

all yoscolors matter

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

BooLoo posted:

THIRD FLOOR!

hello from another format lu

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ciaphas posted:

all yoscolors matter

i don't even see yoscolor.

jk. amberpos 4 lyfe

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Ciaphas posted:

all yoscolors matter

go team green

gently caress team amber

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

bring back macinyos.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

bring back macinyos.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

bring back macinyos.

second

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

last week’s hot/cold swing made my cold sores come back god damnit this cute chick invited me to her birthday party this weekend too :mad:

pretty sure i stressed mine into returning recently. it's swell.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

the university i went to had every building connected together with underground tunnels (as a measure against the canadian winter) and there were shops and classrooms and all sorts of things on this tunnel level so as a result every building's ground-level floor was signed as the second floor.

mine only had tunnels between a handful of buildings, but luckily the chemistry buildings were some of them. if you included a skybridge you could get to essentially any building you'd need but you had to be pretty familiar with the buildings to know where to go. down dark and spooky hallways and stairwells. If you made wrong turns you ended up in basement rooms with dirt floors and 100 year old glassware

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jony neuemonic posted:

bring back macinyos.

there's not enough time before we close up on the 31st :\

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
askin the cjs thread cus the "stupid small questions" thread is gone i guess

whats the least lovely budget (<$600) windows laptop these days?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can't get a non-lovely laptop for under $1000

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Kuvo posted:

asus has some okay ultrabooks around that price iirc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

when i have questions like that i usually head for thewirecutter.com and see what they think. they're often wrong and they fish pretty hard for amazon/etc referrals to stay afloat but it's a good starting point

i think lenovo thinkpads are still in vogue for cheap laptops as long as you take the time to blast all the crapware away asap

but yeah any laptop for less than 4 figgies is gonna be pretty ripe rear end

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Kuvo posted:

It’s on page 2 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651663

And what sagebrush said is correct. Your best bet is gonna be a used or refurb business laptop off ebay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

mine only had tunnels between a handful of buildings, but luckily the chemistry buildings were some of them. if you included a skybridge you could get to essentially any building you'd need but you had to be pretty familiar with the buildings to know where to go. down dark and spooky hallways and stairwells. If you made wrong turns you ended up in basement rooms with dirt floors and 100 year old glassware

our chemistry building was recently renovated and they found a ten-kilogram slug of mercury under the floorboards of one of the labs. no one had any idea how long it had been there :toot:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

when i have questions like that i usually head for thewirecutter.com and see what they think. they're often wrong but it's a good starting point

i think lenovo thinkpads are still in vogue for cheap laptops as long as you take the time to blast all the crapware away asap

but yeah any laptop for less than 4 figgies is gonna be pretty ripe rear end

wirecutter’s kind of crap for certain things including computers imho. And their new site design is steaming dogshit

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ya i realize sub $1k laptops are hot garbage but sometimes you're on a budget, thanks for the suggestion

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

graph posted:

there's not enough time before we close up on the 31st :\
:rip:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

wirecutter’s kind of crap for certain things including computers imho. And their new site design is steaming dogshit

yeah basically since they nuked sweethome as a separate site it's gone downhill

still serves as a research kickoff point tho

Kuvo posted:

ya i realize sub $1k laptops are hot garbage but sometimes you're on a budget, thanks for the suggestion

does it need to be explicitly windows or is something like a chromebook acceptable, you can get ones with great displays and keyboards for like $400 or less (but obviously they're much more limited)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

where'd that closing on the 31st line come from anyway

did lowtax predict his death

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is a long running tradition to claim that they are going to close lf/fyad/yospos/your favorite subforum/the forums altogether on $date

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

where'd that closing on the 31st line come from anyway

did lowtax predict his death
there's not enough time to explain before we close up on the 31st :\

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh i thought there might have been some specific significance to 31 jan 2018

Kenny Logins posted:

there's not enough time to explain before we close up on the 31st :\

:rip:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well, this time it's probably true. i can't imagine the forums have any money any more

i keep meaning to write something to scrape all the user-profile pages, pull their registration dates, and graph the incredible slide in new accounts but then i'm like, what am i, someone who's not lazy?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

well, this time it's probably true. i can't imagine the forums have any money any more

i keep meaning to write something to scrape all the user-profile pages, pull their registration dates, and graph the incredible slide in new accounts but then i'm like, what am i, someone who's not lazy?

iirc lain, the secfuck thread OP, did it on twitter. it grim

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm just happy today because i found a tub of protein powder that doesn't have sucralose in it.

i hate that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i’ll be sad when sa finally tanks. it’s good.