Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Singer Sargent study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Did you do that in photoshop or uh... painter... as indicated?

Procreate. Painter is literally my last name.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Probably? I’ve only ever used PS with a Wacom and Procreate with an iPad. Procreate is definitely more painterly than PS, but it still has a ways to go imo.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Good job, though. ^^^

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I dunno why but i like this a lot. Not quite realistic but it's eye-catching.

Some recent life drawing, in a slump lately, it's ok

Thank you. I always consider portraiture a capturing of essence rather than recording realism.

Remember that working through slumps is what makes good artists.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

There's been some great stuff posted lately.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

d3c0y2 posted:

Yeah to continue the previous compliments; but your style is honestly one of the favourite digital styles Ive seen. I once read someone say that a true artist can choose what pieces of reality are important to preserve and what can be chucked away.

By that definition you're a phenomenal artist, because this is loving masterclass in that.

Aw, thanks!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I actually did some real painting.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Ahhh the colours are so vibrant and the dog so cozy! I've been wondering, do you carefully think about your brushstrokes so you always have a good spread of different directions or do you just go by feel? It's really interesting how you manage to avoid getting a repeat pattern in.

I just go by feel. The more I think about something the more it goes downhill.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

That looks cool.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

sinc posted:

Practicing some shading with the boringest of all genres, stuff found in the kitchen

Good work!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Struggling to paint lately.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Thanks for the observation. I think the whole thing is kind of a mess. :smith:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

As a proponent of art-making as an emotional experience, I think of petting the animal I am painting. This is the only advice I have.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Doo doo brown blue

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

My wife got me an Atlas of Beauty for our anniversary. Tons of great reference photos.

... for me to paint poorly.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 10, 2018

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Thanks, my dudes. :unsmith:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Imaginary Friend posted:

Hi! Have some crappy sketches!

I like them a lot.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

d3c0y2 posted:

I love the light coming through the water here, Im so loving poo poo with backgrounds.

Thanks. This is me literally forcing myself to do a background.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I'm lazy as gently caress.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I started this tonight.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Another suggestion for grid drawing is to draw the face upside down. That way your brain is able to focus on drawing what you observe rather than OMG FACE I KNOW WHAT THIS IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE. Unfortunately our brains can get in the way sometimes.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Neon Noodle posted:

sigma

please

stop making people's noses too long.

Part of the problem may be the eyes are too large, so the nose follows?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Day two. I scraped the dress and started over three times. Still not happy.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Vinegar Tom. Tom was a witch's familiar, described, “like a long-legg'd greyhound, with the head of an oxe.” This was the description the woman gave after being deprived of sleep for four days.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Something in the shading or the way the dress should fall on her belly doesn't catch that she's lying with her legs up on the chair, for me. It looks like an optical illusion, like she's floating with a chair in the background.

Thanks for the input. I need to take another look at it this week.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Pentaro posted:

The mexican presidential candidates as monsters. I want to be an editorial cartoonist when I grow up.

I enjoy these and this is some solid work.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I post my Procreate time lapse poo poo here if anyone cares.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Day three...

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Subject aside, I love this style of portraiture. Do you start from a pencil sketch or just go for it?

Thank you. I need to post the vid yet, but I generally start with several quick drawings just to get an idea of a face down and how I want to render it.

Don't forget to check his lapel.