Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
I posted this in the resources thread but Marc Leone's drawing channel has been invaluable to me.

I could barely draw a straight line in July when my job announced that they'd be having a staff art display that year. On a whim I started drawing. This weekend, this was my hour-long study. It's not ground breaking but I'd never have imagined that I could do anything like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

First real attempt at digital painting. Sticking with grayscale for a while.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I put my last painting on hold to work on this one instead:

Amazing. Do you have a ballpark estimate of the time that goes into something like this?

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

orange sky posted:

Good stuffs

If you want the feeling of a class without actually shelling out any money, I can't recommend Marc Leone's Drawing Database enough. There's hundreds of hours here, including full playlists just on perspective.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

I've got a bad habit of squashing faces vertically. I'm gonna be more conscious of that.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to ask a question. Does anyone have any resource recommendations for accurate portrait drawing? My people are starting to look like actual people instead of deformed monsters but they're rarely recognizable as the reference models I use. I don't know the first thing about measuring and spot checking and the like.

This was drawn from a photo of Sara Bareilles btw.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

Thanks for all of this. I do start with a rough shape of the whole head and find myself shaving down forehead/chin area so maybe that's giving me more trouble than I realize. The next one I do Ill start with the features and then 'spiral out' to the rest of the model.

I'm also going to switch up my warm up exercises to copying the Bargue Plates and just focusing on accuracy.

edit: I wanted to say that I will also give the grid method a shot. I, too, am guilty of perceiving it as cheating. For reasons that I can't really justify--so to hell with that perception!

MTV Crib Death fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 9, 2018

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
trying to capture likeness with a grid

I think if I hadn't smashed her chin in, it would look a good deal like her. I also got the bridge of the nose all wrong which in turn ruined her right eye. Hard to see these things in the thick of it.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

Theokotos posted:

To my eye it’s not the chin, it’s the distance/curve from her brow to the tip of her nose. As mentioned above, add another set of blocks to your grid. Is the drawing digital or on paper?

Yeah I can see that problem now too. I'm working on paper.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

gmc9987 posted:

How much construction/underdrawing are you doing before you start committing to the facial features? The way certain objects are out of proportion, which then push other objects out of proportion, and so on, would lead me to believe that you aren't spending a lot of time blocking in the proportions for the different areas before you start going to town on the fine lines and details.

This is most likely where I am falling apart. Part of it is--I guess dread is the right word. I fear commiting a bunch of time to a drawing and then still getting it wrong. The above picture is a 20-minute job with maybe 1/4 of that being construction.

I love watching Bradwynn Jones so intellectually I understand the value and necessity of underlying construction. He spends 45 minutes in that video just blocking out simple shapes. But I got the fear in me something terrible.

E: edited for something actionable -- today at lunch instead of trying to create a complete drawing I'll use my full hour just for construction.

MTV Crib Death fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 12, 2018

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

gmc9987 posted:

Have you considered not making a finished drawing, and just practicing the construction lines? If the ultimate goal isn't to make a pretty drawing would that relieve some of the pressure?

I am playing around with ideas for stone age people these days.

Yes I think it very well might release that pressure valve. Awesome cave people! I like how they look like a combination of cave scratchings and more modern cartoons.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I'm gonna stop posting this stuff after this, because this isn't the "idiot king learns to draw" thread. I broke my grid down further and went in with the assumption that this was not something that would ever be finished.

Cheeks and chin too large and eyes a bit strange (I needed to make two different runs at them) but overall much better than the last attempt. I feel like I was spot-on with the tip of the nose and nostril which makes me feel good.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

My sincere thanks for all of you helping me this with. I will try all of these today when I take another crack at it.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
So this one was extremely eye-opening. My drawing looks nothing like the subject, but when I line them up like this I see that the places where I went wrong are off in pretty small ways (lips, eyes). So I can see just how exact I need to be to come close to resemblance.

(~40 mins taking it slow and really trying to get it right)

e: without layover:

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

I like the attitude here

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
Working through the Bargue plates. You're supposed to map out the highest/lowest, leftmost/rightmost points first and then draw connecting lines between them. No curved lines at all during construction. I can tell that this is a very useful exercise because it makes me feel uncomfortable as hell.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

d3c0y2 posted:

These are loving awesome. How are you mapping these out? And do you use a ruler or are you free handing those lines, because everything is so dam crisp.

Thanks! I only used a ruler to drop the initial cross for the three small faces and all of ears. I wasn't supposed to but it was getting near the end of lunch hour and I wanted to finish the whole plate.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Did a very simple landscape for fun. It was inspired by some weird bad video game I can't even remember the name of which is why the palette is so odd.

I wanna hug that sun and burn up forever.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
More Bargue plates.

First foot is horrendous in terms of proportion so I'll probably redo that one at some point.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
Bargue plates seem to be helping with accuracy.

Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned J.C. Leyendecker. I borrowed a huge book of his prints from the library and I want to draw them all.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

What up, "Taking Ryan Nimtz' Portrait Class" buddy.

I don't know who that is but I understand why he would use this photo reference. She's stunning.

edit:

wake and draw baby

MTV Crib Death fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 22, 2018

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

Neon Noodle posted:

That is a compelling likeness of Weird Al

Hooray! I think this is literally the first time someone has recognized the model I used.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
Wakanda forever.

Infinity War spoiler:

This is for you, woman in the theater who screamed "Oh hell no!!" as T'Challa faded away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

I feel guilty reading the thread without contributing and I couldn't take the number of unread posts in my User Control Panel so here's this.