Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
dogs & french fries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Crayon it’s been loving amazing to watch your painting progress. :yeah:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sharpen it with a razor blade and sandpaper. Awesome draws as usual.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The planes are approximately correct but your proportions are way off.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I never made a metal logo before but did this for a joke:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I realize that now! I am shame. :smith:

I have been following this fun twitter account called @conceptsbot, it tweets weird surreal ideas. I took one of them and did it as a 90's computer magazine ad:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Al, would you ever consider learning a more full-featured animation program like OpenToonz?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I love that terrible rasterization, it's absolutely perfect. A special brush? Special filter?
Sooooooo this involved doing the main illustration on an iPad, then doing the type and layout in InDesign. Then I exported a PDF of the full thing to Photoshop and individually ran bitmap halftoning on each of the CMYK channels. Also I nudged the channels out of alignment to suggest a registration error. I LOVE PRINT.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

This thread is really jumpin :woop:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I finally got some comes-in-a-tube-watercolours to try and also some of those wicking-brush-with-empty-container-for-watercolour-things and I thought I'd knock out a variation of the cathybrid face I did recently 'cause I really liked it and I thought it would be SO GOOD to get to draw them red eyes again but with an actual brush and maybe extra details everywhere and who cares if I can't find masking liquid in the single craft store near me, pffft, I got this!

No wait. I haven't got this.
It's a frustrating, humbling amateur hour where I spent half my time loving around the equipment, finding out that the plastic spikes on the caps of the little metal tubes actually just flatten when you try to press them against the opening of the tube, trying to fill the brushpens with the sticky thick colours getting stuck in the opening of the tank and going nowhere, diluting them with water and wondering if I still hosed up because they're really not wicking through. Like, at all. Also, haha, there's dog hair everywhere because of course there is, maybe don't cuddle the dog straight before doing painting next time! :downs:
It's just been too goddamn long since I did traditional and I'd forgotten that the paper is super absorbent, and I should've done a proper "drowning" before I started because all my attempts to get the paper wet enough that the colours would do that pretty thing where they run and spread from the drop you put down were met with the pigment stubbornly refusing to shift. I also had massive trouble blending brushstrokes together if they were put down more than 5 seconds apart.

Tomorrow I'll change my approach a bit and dig out my acrylics if I can't get the patterns to behave. I was planning on doing some intricate small patterns in a dark blue onto the gold stripes.
Seriously though, has anyone used the brushes that have fillable tanks? If so, how can I get the colours to wick through, does it just take forever or what?
Those water brushes aren't designed to have anything more viscous than water inside. If you want to fill them with watercolor, you should take some watercolor paint from the tube, dissolve it completely in water to the desired pigment density, and THEN fill up the water brush. However, I don't think this is a good idea generally. The reason being, that even when diluted in water, the watercolor pigments are granular and will eventually clog and ruin the brush. As the water evaporates from around the brush, the pigments will re-concentrate and get gunky. You can probably save it by disassembling the brush and cleaning everything thoroughly, but some parts of the brushes are hard to get at to clean.

The Pentel color pens that come pre-filled with colored inks aren't gum-arabic-based watercolor paint, they're something else. I'm guessing they have some kind of additive that keeps them fluid. If you want to DIY it, instead find yourself some colored fountain pen ink. Fountain pen ink is formulated not to clog. It's also usually not waterproof, so it probably won't be usable for layered washes.

Also, NEVER put india ink in one of these brushes. India ink contains shellac and will ruin the brush within weeks.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Yup, that’s what I have and I take it everywhere.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Pentaro posted:

Local boy.

He is perfect and I will protect him

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

It’s Jane!!! :kimchi:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

From Daria.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Radio your contour work is capital-E excellent but I would love to see more painterly or planar rendering too sometimes.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Thank you for your comment. Sometimes feels like a crutch though, as the above exchange with user Neon Noodle pointed to.

ANyway here's another sketch like this. These are really fun to do and i like how they look but they definitely don't capture the likeness of the source. There's a resemblance but it doesn't quite get there. Tried overlaying them in photoshop and there are some clear issues with proportions.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ0W2WfDRxf/
It's still a good drawing, I like seeing the increased internal form development.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

While I agree that color theory would help, I think your values aren’t correct. The values are too close to each other to make a strong statement of the lighting. Check your drawing in black and white to see. If your values are good the color is much easier to make work. If the values are wrong, it won’t ever work even if the color choices are good ones.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

These are really cool and I'm jealous.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

So dumb question: how do you guys draw stars? I mean the cartoony, 5 pointed stars. It seems like such a simple shape but I tried drawing some and found I couldn't get very few that actually looked good

Here's how I do it :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Try breaking your grid down 1 more level?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

a hole-y ghost posted:

Try to have at least a 3x3 within the face (as in make your grid with enough subdivisions for that). What you're doing won't help that much for face proportions

Yeah also, adding a 45 degree diagonal to your grid in the more complex areas can help with aligning features correctly. And if you feel guilty about that you can take it up with J.C. Leyendecker:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sell me that :homebrew:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

sigma

please

stop making people's noses too long.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

If the proportional division of the head is wrong, everything within those divisions will be wrong.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Unfortunately, the only way to get the leaves in front of the door now is to ditch watercolours and move on to acrylics to get some opaqueness. Watercolours are firmly in the "should've thought of that earlier" camp of painting when it comes to adding stuff to the foreground.
Your options would have been to paint them first, then very carefully paint the door in around them, or using the aforementioned masking fluid to mask out the parts where they will be, painting the door, then peeling the mask and painting the leaves in.
Use gouache, friend.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

That is a compelling likeness of Weird Al

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Marco Bucci is awesome. You should try toning your canvas first. It’s very hard to get good values if you paint on white, unless you’re very very skilled.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Happy May Day

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

This is really cool what is the medium??
iPad/Procreate

P.S. I love your chunky angular drawings

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The Dregs posted:

You mind if i use this as my new desktop background?
:ussr: for the revolution

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

TheMostFrench posted:

Discussion wise, I've been doing a live drawing class where the lecturer tells us not to leave out the head or face because it's a form of identity erasure (we've also been discussing the history of nudes and how classical nudes were oppressive to women), and will mark you down if you just submit body sections. Has anyone else ever encountered this? What do you think? It seems like the intention is to train us to consider the meaning behind every mark we make, or to try and rise above historical ideals.
There is a way of drawing women that is very objectifying in a sexual sense.

There is also a way of drawing anything that is objectifying in the structural sense, where you are just looking at your subject as a series of forms, and not as another sentient being. I don’t think there is anything wrong with this type of objectification, in fact I think it’s a necessary part of learning to draw well. There are times when you have to dissociate from the social and emotional perspective of looking at another human being in order to notice the literal facts about how bodies are shaped.

If I were being punished for doing this I would still do it and take the bad grade because grades in art class don’t mean poo poo, but having access to models and studio time is worth something. Learning to draw well is its own reward.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

a hole-y ghost posted:

Hangin' out @ the ShameZone

da m0thafuckin shamez0ne

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

sigma 6 posted:

Hacked to draw wall size dick pics... ugh.

Here is a quick 5 min portrait.

Feeling really rusty / out of the loop lately.

Your proportions are getting sooooooooo much better

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I made a paint:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

his head got a little melted i nthe back here

Nice to see some inner forms there. Keep it up :thumbsup:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Pre-mix big areas.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Crappers posted:

Just have not been drawing in forever and trying to make an effort to get back into it , even if only for an hour or less every day. This is pretty rough and dodgy but I might do the colouring thing in photoshop eventually. I kind of want to start again and make the heads look more like shop fronts in some western scene. Just fun to be drawing again though tbh!

This looks tight, can you scan it? It’s hard to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I'm in love. :swoon:

In art-related news, I'm in a total rut and don't know what to do with myself anymore.