Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Woah. Very nice. Teach me your ways.

Meanwhile... this is what happens when doodling during Ancient Aliens... or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

There once was an unfinished head in a sketchbook. I tried to add a body. I dunno. Man hands (?)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

I think you nailed him spins
I can't see the image :confused: I tried going to the URL too and it just shows some text

From this link? It is just Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/grey_hash/39775820432/sizes/o/

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Jake Snake posted:

I'm calling this done. I was working on it last night when the power shut off in the middle of saving and corrupted my file. I'm too angry to continue.

Looks fantastic! Do you mostly work on a workstation of tablet computer? Actually - for that matter - how many of the people in this thread use something portable like an ipad pro or mobile studio pro vs. non mobile workstation vs. laptop with a plugin tablet?

I should just make a poll.

Spinster: Thank you. Was getting worried for a second.

smallmouth posted:

Singer Sargent study.

Did you do that in photoshop or uh... painter... as indicated?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 21, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Al! posted:

is painter still a program that people use widely? i used to play with it a lot when i was a kid

Artists like Android Jones still uses Painter AFAIK. He was one of their main proponents at one time.

smallmouth: So you use an Ipad, obviously. Is there something similar to Procreate for PC?

d3c0y2: Thanks! I actually redrew the glass to be a bit bigger and I don't think I like it as much.

Thanks for all the responses. I am ready to get upgrade to a tablet computer and I am trying to figure out if it is wise to get a tablet or stick to a hybrid laptop type format. Every time I draw in my sketchbook I wonder why I am not painting digitally instead and inevitably it is because my computer is nowhere near me and a sketchbook is simply easier to carry around.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 22, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always liked ArtRage. I think it's similar to Procreate in that it's not like Photoshop or Clip Studio.

I need to get around to trying Mischief.

Yeah - Krita, Mischief and Verve are all software packages I want to use more. Verve was really fun when I played around with it.

Although this is not the 3d thread, a cool "painterly" 3d software package is Polybrush. Sort like Sculptris but more powerful IMO.

Doodling dragons again.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Wild and freeeee

*manic laughter goes here*

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 22, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Spinster posted:

Checking that I'm using Imgur correctly...(great,
only took 4 attempts)

This is supposed to be Aziz Ansari right? If you weren't going for the likeness ... well ... you sorta got it anyways. Also kind of funny. Was she really that much taller than him? The expression says it all.

This is what I get for asking my GF to pose. She turns around, takes off her pants, and shops for clothes on her phone. Don't worry ... I got consent to post ... but only to "the nerds on the forums". :airquote: I think she just likes to moon people by proxy.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 23, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Shinmera posted:

Finally got the time (and inspiration) to draw something again.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/955828135936839681

Yeah - it is a very simplistic style. Nothing wrong with that but it seems more suited to Sunday morning newspaper comics or maybe manga. If you want to improve, then I suggest going for more realism. If it is your intention to stick with a comic style, then I suppose it doesn't matter. What was said about pursuing life studies vs. pursuing a style is very good advice. Don't try and develop your own style. I think it should just come with time, as you pursue realism. But...that's just... like... my opinion man.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I need to get caught up with this thread. Here is a sketchbook page from the other day. I participated in Global Game Jam - which was a lot of fun. Five of us made a game in two days.

Here is the game if anyone cares.
Windows version.

Al! posted:

i made this as an av for a chvrches-obsessed friend but i wanted to post it here because it turned out really well, especially the animation (it was a still image and I added the wink)

this is not my usual style, so any critiques????

I think it is my favorite of your work so far.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Still playing ketchup with this thread.

bonus 3d doodle.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 5, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Hotdog Jesus proof of concept.

This athiest approves of your "hotdog jesus". Go forth and prosper.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 6, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Shinmera posted:

Finally got the time and mood to draw again.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/962330819749654528

Tried to put some of the advice I got from here into practise, though I'm not sure if it shows.

Looks great!

Here is a daily doodle. Lately I have been too lazy to scan and I just take a phone cam pic. Sorry if things have been a little blurry lately. I usually have to take 2-3 pics before I get a decent one in low light.

and another zbrush doodle. Practicing hard surface modeling techniques. Would anyone join in a daily 3d doodle thread? A la Beeple?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Did this thread start getting a lot more activity or is it my imagination?

Did a little inking on an old sketch.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Random question but what digital painting tutorials took you guys the farthest? I have been watching some of Marc Brunet's and of course there is Ctrl + paint - but I am curious if you guys have favorites.

Content incoming.

Daily drawing

Zbrush doodle

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 14, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ I find still life paintings boring as hell but that's a great rendering!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

NO TUTORIALS WE DIE LIKE MEN

Edited to add: not having watched any tutorials is the reason I've not recommended any to anyone on here, ever, sorry! I've tried to watch a couple tutorial videos but they move so goddamn slow I just get frustrated and decide I'd much rather bang my head on a wall and learn that way.

Hehe. Doesn't have to be video tutorials. I always like this one for fundamentals.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 14, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

I realize that now! I am shame. :smith:

I have been following this fun twitter account called @conceptsbot, it tweets weird surreal ideas. I took one of them and did it as a 90's computer magazine ad:

This is so good.

I am trying to force myself to do more digital painting. I know it is a matter of consistency but I am still stubbornly holding on to my sketchbook.

Daily doodle / figure drawing

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sorry to spam the thread with the mural but...

Tried to sand down some paint on the face and used the wrong grit sandpaper. Ruined the face and smeared black sandpaper everywhere. So I had to paint over the face. Also touched up the arm with some better ref, so there is some anatomy there now.

... and something looser.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 15, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Spinster posted:

I HATE hair. Did this today, one eye great the other I just can't fix. She has messy makeup, not beat up. I'm going to try adding color so that's clear.

I don't know what ref you are using but hair which goes in every direction is the hardest to draw.

This might sound a little bonkers but I am thinking about making a 3d model in the pose of the girl in the mural because my reference is from 5 sources - all with different lighting! Lesson learned in why poor photobashing makes poor reference. Also why master painters often hire their own models and take their own photos!!

Case in point.

Daily doodle.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 17, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Monkey's no longer on my back. Now he's in my lap drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I JUST NOW realized what has been bugging me about the hair, it's originally been hanging down, hasn't it?
And I think right there above the shoulder is where someone was, right?
Since you're still working on this, please consider making this minor addition to improve the flow of the hair:

I gave it a highlight to better show the connection. It doesn't take a lot of adjusting from the original.

Thank you for this! I gotta admit it does look better.

Here is a quick figure study. 5 min I think.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 21, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Fixing hair based on the advice of this thread.

Causing me a certain amount of anxiety to paint over the manadala but hey... it's only paint right?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Al! posted:

i've been meaning to ask, is this your bar or a friends bar or something? or is this for a client?

It's a little of both. My work is hanging up there so... what better way to promote a show? People also enjoy the progress and watching it develop over time. I live less than 10 min away so I work on it when I can.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

10 min portrait I probly spent another 10 min on shading after the pose.

I have been slack on the daily drawing lately and I can feel it. :(

On another note. Somenbody made fan art of the mural at the bar and drew it on the back of a receipt. Heh.

Also - as per an earlier discussion...

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 1, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

A repost of a daily from a couple of years back. She died a few days ago, so of course I had to go look at the two or three drawings I had done when we had dated. Never did get the likeness right. :(

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I think it looks cool, I don't know anything about digital brushes but I am always impressed by people building up landscapes and faces and stuff from such fat strokes of color. So different from how I perceive and construct things in my own drawings.

Sorry for your loss.

Here are some sketches from a Surprisingly Good Life Drawing Session during which i felt like i was falling asleep but managed some decent doodles

Just for laughs:

Thank you. I have been enjoying seeing your figure drawing progress.

Added a lot of shading to the hair tonight. The end is in sight.

and a little life drawing.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 6, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Better reference means repainting the neck, arm and shoulder. Sorry to spam the thread. It's almost there.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yup.

Here is the before and after.

Hurt to paint over that arm but at least the neck is better.

A little advice. Work from ONE photo ref if you can. A poor photobash is only going to make things that much harder. I remember a talk by a master painter in which he talked about hiring a model and setting up props and taking his own photos. Now I understand why. Trying to match lighting across six different poorly composited elements is kind of nuts.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

Did some tone practice. Working on figuring that out in Clip Studio Paint.

EDIT: I also figured out the animation program in Clip Studio Paint today, too!

https://twitter.com/ewschneiderarts/status/972854546853711872?s=21

This is really cool.

Something about this arm anatomy is really bugging me but I can't put my finger on it. Muscles too defined? Defined in the wrong places for the angle? I want to the shading to be perfect before I paint the arm band back on.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 12, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I call this masterpiece: "Daily Doodle From Extreme Angle."

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

That sucks, and yeah, I know those days.

Blender sketching! :science:

I am also doing 3d sketchy things.

1.5 hour speed sculpt.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

That Zbrush? I've tried it a couple of times, but my (lack of) gfx card shits the bed massively. Looking real good there! Love the sharp knife of the horns esp.

Thanks! Yes it is. Zbrush doesn't depend on the graphics card. Only the CPU AFAIK. It's one of the selling points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_sBDBkylk

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

Now that's weird, the cpu is fairly decent on this box. On the other hand, this is the computer so badly made that it interferes with phone reception and it's own wifi dongle has to be on an extension cord, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

You can try sculptris too and that's completely free and where Zbrush has "adopted" some features from.

Doodlin dragons again.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

If the proportional division of the head is wrong, everything within those divisions will be wrong.

I agree.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sketchy ape in a biker outfit.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

This my friend is the Zybourne Clock

I think you may have missed some commas. In any case, I have no idea what you are talking about.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 23, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I flipped and rotated the pic so the head's straight so it's easier to see. When you can't flip a pic 'cause you're not working on a computer, lift it to a light and look through the backside to spot if anything's going wonky. I personally tilt my head to match the head tilt of a character I'm drawing if it's on a computer, or shift the paper if drawing analog so the head's straight-on because tilting facial features is hell on earth.

[/quote]

Thanks. I sorta knew the angle was too extreme. Missing figure drawing. Closest one is almost an hour away and starting a new group here hasn't been very successful.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Old college painting I am touching up.

Imaginary Friend posted:

Colored some sketches for a fishy project.

Your work has consistently been some of my favorite work in this thread.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Reminds me of Burning Safari but cuter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6fPcRSKt-A