Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I still wish for a Sharp X68000 emulator with rerecording capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's obviously not a solution for every game, but emulating the virtual console versions of n64 games through dolphin works great.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

flatluigi posted:

It's obviously not a solution for every game, but emulating the virtual console versions of n64 games through dolphin works great.

the emulation is coming FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

flatluigi posted:

how the gently caress is that even a possible scenario

My flowchart doesn't account for this

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I've been attempting to do a skip in Bionic Commando and so far I've gotten it once in what feels like a hundred attempts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is CEN64 still alive?

Yes.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Sometimes the TAS timing rules (the last input) make thing amusingly stupid.

Two seconds of input to change the control scheme -> game plays demos and jumps to the end screen after 1 hour and 45 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmn6ZHn1-nI
http://tasvideos.org/5799S.html

quote:

The demo which plays is not a proper video file, it's effectively its own TAS which plays a specific input in order to produce the demonstration. However, it doesn't update the movie according to the current Input configuration, which means if we change which button does what it results in the demos no longer producing the intended effect.

What does happen, will be standard deaths on most stages, which would otherwise cause you to reset on your current level. The exception here is for the bonus stage "Apu in Agrabah", which upon failing results in it advances you to the next stage instead. You will then find that the next stage the game tries to demo, is not the intended "Agrabah Rooftop", but instead the stage after the previously selected one, IE level 04. This then happens every cycle, such that next time it tries to play the demo input into level 05, then 06, all the way up to the final level. The demo cycle 'completing' the previous Apu level, means that the final level then gets advanced, and 'completed', resulting in the final credits being displayed. These are different from the regular credits which come up while waiting, since they contain the romantic background of both the rug ride and the kiss, and thus is a definite ending.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 21, 2018

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Really excited for the indie everyone's been waiting for to release. That's right, Iconoclasts is out this week, more important than other Indies.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

how the gently caress is that even a possible scenario

My flowchart doesn't account for this

The Dolphin devteam is really good and have been working on getting literally everything possible working for ages now. Their devblog is a cool read: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Is this the thread for bad takes from speedrun Twitter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Studio posted:

Really excited for the indie everyone's been waiting for to release. That's right, Iconoclasts is out this week, more important than other Indies.
Unlike Bleed, this is an indie pixel platformer I can really get behind, had it on my wishlist for what seems like forever! Just like NoituLove2 Devolution! Has anyone played that at a GDQ yet, btw

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Unlike Bleed, this is an indie pixel platformer I can really get behind, had it on my wishlist for what seems like forever! Just like NoituLove2 Devolution! Has anyone played that at a GDQ yet, btw

Caveman at sgdq2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/GoldenSRL/status/953872668129972225

It's that time again! The 12 hour challenge! That time where people attempt to learn a speedrun in 12 hours, what with all the new blood from AGDQ18 I figure this might be a good opportunity for some. The theme this time is "Motion Control" and you can interpret that as loosely as you want to or just ignore it completely, it's not like the theme is enforced or anything, learn whatever you like! Be one of the 50 people who will be extremely dull and put themselves down for Mario Odyssey or Galaxy or something and laugh as the No More Heroes community cries itself to sleep!

man first game i ever actually attempted to "speedrun" a year ago was Severed and this could finally be the opportunity to put in an actual decent effort into it... but... it's like a two hour run with no scene. it would mostly just be me looking at the maps and finding the most direct route and learning no subtlety about what upgrades would actually make the game faster or where to get consumables or anything lmfao. also my wrist would absolutely kill me after a couple hours let alone 12.

Abisteen posted:

gymnast86 found a way to skip the RNG bullshit with the fairies at the end of the WWHD any% run. I think that's a run that, as a result of that skip, may get a LOT more interesting in the coming months as more people decide to pick it up due to no longer having to deal with potentially a half hour or more of RNG crap.

Here's the clip where he reveals it on stream: https://clips.twitch.tv/AliveDaintyHamMoreCowbell

Edit: Since the clip doesn't explain what he is doing exactly, the thing he kills with the bow doesn't drop a heart unless killed by the sword. Before the clip, he buffered an input to hit it with the sword but have it stick to Link at the same time. He was then able to use the leaf to blow it up onto that platform. Because he hit it with the sword during the buffered input, the game thinks he killed it with the sword even though it actually died when shot by the bow. Hence, it drops a heart and the zombie hover works.

:captainpop:

hot drat, WW Any% has come back to life

DizzyBum posted:

I've finally updated my avatar. AGDQ 2018 was truly something special.

yeah!! hell yeah!!!!!! love that archen! i'm glad i could share the joy of him in the thread

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kaubocks posted:

:captainpop:

hot drat, WW Any% has come back to life

The problem is, the consistent strat loses 30 seconds to a successful fairy run. As soon as someone gets a record less than 30 seconds off a sum-of-best, the category is dead again.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Double Punctuation posted:

The problem is, the consistent strat loses 30 seconds to a successful fairy run. As soon as someone gets a record less than 30 seconds off a sum-of-best, the category is dead again.

it's a long enough run that i basically don't see that ever being a problem

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I've been watching a friend of mine and fellow Silent Hill runner (he was on the couch with me during Resident Evil 7 and stuff!) do runs of the first F.E.A.R game lately and the run is apparently loving amazing?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/207175770

my favourite trick is the one where you throw a grenade into a pile of collapsed rubble and then activate bullet time to jump off one of the pieces of rubble mid-explosion to get out of bounds. A trick so unbelievably rad I cannot believe that's a thing you can even do

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Studio posted:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I've been watching a friend of mine and fellow Silent Hill runner (he was on the couch with me during Resident Evil 7 and stuff!) do runs of the first F.E.A.R game lately and the run is apparently loving amazing?

my favourite trick is the one where you throw a grenade into a pile of collapsed rubble and then activate bullet time to jump off one of the pieces of rubble mid-explosion to get out of bounds. A trick so unbelievably rad I cannot believe that's a thing you can even do

Yeah from what i've seen in F.E.A.R. speedruns, prop gliding in bullet time is a legit tactic, shame it's not that reliable in most places because "physics"

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

God drat. Maybe I should reinstall F.E.A.R and learn to run it, that owns.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Double Punctuation posted:

Would it feasible for the community as a whole to make a gentleman's agreement to not do the fairy strat because it's loving BULLSHIT

e: in my heart I know the answer is no, because speedrunners are masochists

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I think the movement in twwhd has enough variation that you’re never gonna see a run (with the new strat) be beaten by another run exclusively due to using a fairy. Especially not at world record level imo, I don’t think anyone is masochistic enough to try to save maybe 30 seconds on a 5% chance thing that’s at the very end of the (albeit only) 1 hour+ run, unless they really only care about getting wr and are less than 30s behind a wr that doesn’t use fairy skip.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

heeheex2 posted:

I think the movement in twwhd has enough variation that you’re never gonna see a run (with the new strat) be beaten by another run exclusively due to using a fairy. Especially not at world record level imo, I don’t think anyone is masochistic enough to try to save maybe 30 seconds on a 5% chance thing that’s at the very end of the (albeit only) 1 hour+ run, unless they really only care about getting wr and are less than 30s behind a wr that doesn’t use fairy skip.

Screencapping this for eventual use in the SummoningSalt Wind Waker WR Progression video

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Did sm64 runners ever go back to doing raw cannonless? It's a few seconds slower to do the setup instead of winging it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Do streamers actually get money from a Prime sub since it's free for the user?

I don't give a flying gently caress about subbing to any channels, but since I have my free Prime sub laying around I usually toss it PJ's way because he's a cool dude. But since I don't pay for it, does it actually do anything for him?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Renegret posted:

I don't give a flying gently caress about subbing to any channels, but since I have my free Prime sub laying around I usually toss it PJ's way because he's a cool dude. But since I don't pay for it, does it actually do anything for him?

They still get the money

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Asked a friend who's actually a streamer with subs, and yes, he gets money for it.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Rubellavator posted:

Did sm64 runners ever go back to doing raw cannonless? It's a few seconds slower to do the setup instead of winging it.
The videos on cheese's youtube channel still have him going for the buffer setup. The 120 WR video even has him missing the setup first then getting the star without it.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

You pay $99/yr or $12.99/mo to Twitch's parent company for that 1 subscription.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Flagrama posted:

You pay $99/yr or $12.99/mo to Twitch's parent company for that 1 subscription.

not really sure what your point is here, pretty sure they pay that for things other than the sub and the sub is just a bonus

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah the free shipping thing is nuts and lets me grab all sorts of stuff without worrying about dropping an extra tenner on shipping some hamster bedding or something

literally everything else is bonuses.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dragster stuff

https://youtu.be/8e-H4sEHB54

So this hit the front page of Reddit and got 4k comments. As if twin galaxies needed even more negative attention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/7snh6k/biggest_cheater_in_video_gaming_history_fully/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah the free shipping thing is nuts and lets me grab all sorts of stuff without worrying about dropping an extra tenner on shipping some hamster bedding or something

literally everything else is bonuses.

Yeah, I'm not sure anyone gets Amazon Prime just for Twitch Prime.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I remember having a very low opinion of TG in the past because they didn't publish runs submitted by tape and had a bunch of silly arbitrary rules like no mockball in super metroid. Is this still the case?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rubellavator posted:

Dragster stuff

https://youtu.be/8e-H4sEHB54

So this hit the front page of Reddit and got 4k comments. As if twin galaxies needed even more negative attention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/7snh6k/biggest_cheater_in_video_gaming_history_fully/

We need to go deeper

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Suspicious posted:

I remember having a very low opinion of TG in the past because they didn't publish runs submitted by tape and had a bunch of silly arbitrary rules like no mockball in super metroid. Is this still the case?

Dunno if it is still true, but they famously banned using the crouching stab attack in OoT because it was bugged and did the damage of your last attack. No setup, thats just how it works.

Then there are other weird rulings theyve done more recently. Someone beat PJs Battletoads and Double Dragon run by leeching the final boss, which is against the rules for TG, by rationalizing that PJ had to have done it. They accepted it. PJ produced the video proving he didnt leech, and not only didnt remove the new run, but refused to outline what acceptable levels of leeching would be when you can leech indefinitely.

Theyve also allowed a whole lot of really, really crazy people to remain on their site for years without consequence, and are still obsessed with protecting Todd for some reason.

So, yes.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
2017 TAS awards (voted by the forum members)
http://tasvideos.org/Awards/2017.html

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Kennel posted:

2017 TAS awards (voted by the forum members)
http://tasvideos.org/Awards/2017.html

Big-ups to Rayman for being the first non-Nintendo game to win TAS Of The Year since like 2011.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Kenny I'm loving offended you didn't just look me up.

https://www.twitch.tv/uraniumanchor
https://www.youtube.com/user/uraniumanchor
https://www.speedrun.com/user/UraniumAnchor
https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor

To the surprise of absolutely no one.

I'm in the process of moving to a new place but once I get stuff set up at the new place over the next few weeks I intend on... well, fixing GDQ videos for a while. I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with any videos this time, thankfully, and I've figured out how to offload the actual encoding steps onto The Cloud(tm) so my desktop won't have to get tied up for weeks on end any more.

After that... I dunno, probably BM0 (100% either Jason or Shantae) and Carol?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Dunno if it is still true, but they famously banned using the crouching stab attack in OoT because it was bugged and did the damage of your last attack. No setup, thats just how it works.

Then there are other weird rulings theyve done more recently. Someone beat PJs Battletoads and Double Dragon run by leeching the final boss, which is against the rules for TG, by rationalizing that PJ had to have done it. They accepted it. PJ produced the video proving he didnt leech, and not only didnt remove the new run, but refused to outline what acceptable levels of leeching would be when you can leech indefinitely.

Theyve also allowed a whole lot of really, really crazy people to remain on their site for years without consequence, and are still obsessed with protecting Todd for some reason.

So, yes.

What is leeching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello I would like to be put into the something awful posting recordbook for 16 million posts in the current thread.

My good friend Larry Nassar already verified my post count, trust me on this one.