Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

brap posted:

I preferred it when cheaters were handled in these videos by completely throwing them in the memory hole. Maybe mentioning that there was a cheated WR in such and such year but don’t even mention the cheater’s name or anything else.

I don't remember when this was ever the case. The idea for a long time was that there simply weren't any cheaters because why would you? And then people discovered spliced oot runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Rubellavator posted:

I don't remember when this was ever the case. The idea for a long time was that there simply weren't any cheaters because why would you? And then people discovered spliced oot runs.

Not sure that's really true. I know there was a lot of angry posting about cheating after the Morimoto SMB3 TAS video got traction in 2003. I recall the stolen valor of TAS videos (and nesvideos) getting posted and taken as legit runs by the people watching was cited by a few runners as part of their reason for quitting the hobby, I think including the then current Super Metroid 100% WR holder (or, well, segmented-run-on-SDA holder). And that's without anyone intentionally attempting to pass off TASes as real time speedruns!

People were well aware of the ability to lie with video (or demo files!), runners felt threatened by even the possibility, and best I remember SDA took preemptive steps to prevent it like asking for sent-in recordings to be bookended by non-console footage in addition to their usual (slow, often criticized) human peer verification before publication. Splicing was I think initially not so much a concern since segmented runs in the mold of QDQ were the any% prestige category so indeed why would you? but various other forms of cheating were definitely a common concern. The belief on SDA was just that their process was sufficiently robust to filter out any attempts.

Then increased access to recording tools and online streaming started clashing with the slowness and quality requirements of SDA's robust process, then it turned out spliced single-segment runs got past SDA's reviews for years, so it goes, etc. Anyhow, people have been simultaneously concerned about stolen gaming valor and unable to identify it at least since Activision went ahead and certified the Dragster 5.51s record in 1982.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
The part of the newfound trend of covering cheaters in speedruns that bugs me the most is that they have to really embellish the impact of cheating by gesturing at abstract concepts like integrity and trust violations in order to make the narrative work because the emotional component of these videos would probably completely fall flat if they acknowledged that the reality is that cheating is kind of uninteresting 99% of times because the stakes are virtually non-existent in speedrunning.

I've dealt with a couple cases of people cheating their runs (mod usage and splicing) over at Silent Hill runs and it just hasn't shocked the community to its core in the way these videos always want to make it sound like it does because having a WR in a speedrun just isn't actually that important? There's no inherent benefit to it. Reactions have historically been something like people just go "lmao, dickhead" and then we delete the runs.

anyway this means I'm a bit resentful of the coverage all of this gets because it results in outside observers taking this poo poo ten thousand times more seriously than anyone actually participating in it does and that's annoying in its own way, puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on leaderboard moderators, a group of people who already are spending a lot of their free time just keeping things ticking smoothly.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i like the videos that just go over the various signs that someone was cheating and how it was uncovered. i wanna say i recall one or two videos about it, one being super meat boy and the bandage girl frame counter, and the other being about some really difficult to do paper mario and the 1000 year door jump trick that someone nailed on the first try and was completely :geno: for

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah the interesting cheating stories are the ones that have more going on. Like, King of Kongs is almost conspiratorial, similarly, Todd and Dragster. Some of the other investigations can be interesting because of how like, weirdly technical they are (like speedrunning), but the ramifications are usually nothing lol.

Zamujasa posted:

i like the videos that just go over the various signs that someone was cheating and how it was uncovered. i wanna say i recall one or two videos about it, one being super meat boy and the bandage girl frame counter, and the other being about some really difficult to do paper mario and the 1000 year door jump trick that someone nailed on the first try and was completely :geno: for

lol chibi

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think it's important to out cheaters I just wish they didn't do it like they were uncovering serial killers.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The only one I've watched was that Pokémon one, and that did have the stakes of people having put up actual bounty money for some runs that the guy achieved by cheating.

Sometimes it can be interesting to see just how small of a detail gets noticed to figure out something fishy was going on. Things only a speedrunner would notice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One that was pretty funny: someone in a Z3R race got outed as cheating because they'd published a clip of their opponent checking the pedestal (which implied they were stream watching). whoops!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I just found the latest one (Monster Hunter) funny because of how low effort it is (you can see through the blindfold when the runner shows it beforehand...) and the whole self-feeding twitch/youtube loop that it generated. That's something HBomberGuy touched upon when discussing plagiarism and I found it interesting to see an example of it happening in real-time.

Some of those are interesting technically, not really in the cheater-exposed way, but in the how it was done and how it was proven. Trackmania was really good in that regards.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Speaking of blindfolded runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNp9-m3iCZg

The History of Blindfolded Super Mario 64

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Nice! It was about time he targeted the Arf demographic.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Frost Fatales started yesterday! Schedule: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule/47

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021
EZScape used to be at the forefront of speedrun content creation. Over the years he's uploaded less and less on his main channel, and now mainly uploads on his second channel (EZScape Speedruns) while streaming speedruns and RuneScape on occasion. He just announced that he'll now be streaming exclusively on Kick, focusing mainly on RuneScape. While it's disappointing that a creator in the speedrunning community isn't putting out stuff like they used to, I'm even more disappointing to see EZ enthusiastically join a website that platforms predators, Nazis, and overall gross people. In the video he posted announcing his deal with Kick, he spends time justifying streaming on Kick, claiming that Kick isn't any worse than Twitch or YouTube, but that it might actually be a better platform. Really upsetting. The like/dislike bar seems to agree.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
ok

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kick does seem uniquely terrible. Last month there was some big dust-up about one of the most popular streamers there being a straight-up pedophile who convinced minors to expose themselves on his channel. It must have been big news because even I heard about it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I actually appreciate effortposts like Heroine's a lot - this thread is my main source of speedrunning news and I prefer to keep the videos I watch well on the correct side of the Nazi/non-Nazi spectrum.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kick was started by the folks who couldn't run crypto slots gambling streams on twitch anymore. The funny thing is they rent the "streaming website as a service" twitch back-end from amazon.

Side note i try to reinforce once in a while. Karl Jobst sucks and its amazing he didn't take any sort of fall alongside goose.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

I actually appreciate effortposts like Heroine's a lot - this thread is my main source of speedrunning news and I prefer to keep the videos I watch well on the correct side of the Nazi/non-Nazi spectrum.

Same, thanks Heroine

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
when it comes to kick, arf has the right idea

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Heroine88 posted:

EZScape used to be at the forefront of speedrun content creation. Over the years he's uploaded less and less on his main channel, and now mainly uploads on his second channel (EZScape Speedruns) while streaming speedruns and RuneScape on occasion. He just announced that he'll now be streaming exclusively on Kick, focusing mainly on RuneScape. While it's disappointing that a creator in the speedrunning community isn't putting out stuff like they used to, I'm even more disappointing to see EZ enthusiastically join a website that platforms predators, Nazis, and overall gross people. In the video he posted announcing his deal with Kick, he spends time justifying streaming on Kick, claiming that Kick isn't any worse than Twitch or YouTube, but that it might actually be a better platform. Really upsetting. The like/dislike bar seems to agree.

ezscape has sucked for a long-rear end time as does anyone who makes cringe compliations hth

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 4, 2024

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

Boogalo posted:

Side note i try to reinforce once in a while. Karl Jobst sucks and its amazing he didn't take any sort of fall alongside goose.

Yeah, this surprises me too. Especially considering when Goose was originally outed as being a Nazi, Karl said on stream that he wouldn't ostracize Goose and that he'd help him. He also said that Goose needs to "not create drama". Him referring to being outed as a Nazi as "creating drama" gave me the immediate red flag back in the day.

I'd have to look and track down some old convos, but I'm pretty sure I was once sent some screenshots of Karl saying slurs in Discord. If I remember correctly though, everyone's names other than Karl's were redacted so not sure the screenshots hold much weight (if I were able to even find them).

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

twitch getting rid of the old PMs is gonna haunt my rear end forever, i had a big convo w rwhitegoose in like 2014 where he was talking about how SRG is all freaks because racist sexist loser 4channers ... no idea how he did a complete 180 somewhere between then and like 2016 or w/e lol

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Vaguely speedrunning related, the Super Mario Maker 1 team 0% stuff is really sick. Servers shut down on April 8th so they're trying to beat every uncleared level before then, with just over 100 to go now. Canada/Spain/Japan only 3 countries with uncleared levels left, 1 for Canada 2 for Spain and like 120 for Japan lol. https://www.issmmbeatenyet.com

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

heehee posted:

Vaguely speedrunning related, the Super Mario Maker 1 team 0% stuff is really sick. Servers shut down on April 8th so they're trying to beat every uncleared level before then, with just over 100 to go now. Canada/Spain/Japan only 3 countries with uncleared levels left, 1 for Canada 2 for Spain and like 120 for Japan lol. https://www.issmmbeatenyet.com

Holy poo poo, that seem attainable! Though I'm sure these last hundred-ish levels are probably all insanely hard. At this point I assume we're well past finding levels that just slipped through the cracks, and these levels have remained unbeaten for a reason.

Honestly just throw Beast and Panga at this and we'll have them all beaten by next week

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

heehee posted:

They're very lucky that ChainChompBraden didn't finish his upload run of Trials of Death in time.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

jesus every time I think they're gonna hit a wall they blast through, down to about 75 levels now

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

Heroine88 posted:

I'd have to look and track down some old convos, but I'm pretty sure I was once sent some screenshots of Karl saying slurs in Discord. If I remember correctly though, everyone's names other than Karl's were redacted so not sure the screenshots hold much weight (if I were able to even find them).

I ended up finding them, though it took longer than expected because the person who had sent me them (former friend) has changed usernames several times. Former friend is connected to some speedrunners and these screenshots have apparently made the rounds in DMs. I think a few of former-friend's speedrun friends are affiliated with/used to be a part of the Goldeneye and Perfect Dark speedrun community? Not sure, I was never told any names or backstory to the screenshots. I combined them all into one image so that I can post them easily here. (All alleged ofc)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

heehee posted:

jesus every time I think they're gonna hit a wall they blast through, down to about 75 levels now

down to the final 10 :letsgo:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

heehee posted:

down to the final 10 :letsgo:

And now 6, meaning 4 were vanquished today. I think it's gonna happen! https://www.issmmbeatenyet.com/levels

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Two left! Trimming The Herbs and the appropriately-named The Last Dance.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

It's so sick. A few people have gotten insanely close to killing the last dance so it'll probably die tonight, leaving ~3 weeks for everyone to grind TTH. Gonna be hoiype as balls.

3rd last level clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFzufMxorSE

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Are people streaming attempts? Is there a good one to be watching?

The community coming together to 100% SMM1 is both silly and kind of heartwarming.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Bremen posted:

Are people streaming attempts? Is there a good one to be watching?

The community coming together to 100% SMM1 is both silly and kind of heartwarming.

I've been keeping https://www.twitch.tv/directory/category/super-mario-maker open and refreshing periodically to catch the random people streaming attempts, right now https://twitch.tv/lilkirbs and https://twitch.tv/chris_speedruns are live doing TTH "attempts" (probably gonna be 999999 hours of practice), and ThaBeast721 will probably be online later doing The Last Dance runs (and beating it)

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

here's the TTH clear vid from the creator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siz4oB4CGKo

the gap between how easy it looks and how hard it actually is is hilarious

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I’m not a Mario maker aficionado so I don’t know this but how does the game/online service/players in this challenge tell the difference between a theoretically completable stage that nobody has succeeded at yet, and one that is actually narrowly impossible?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

fool of sound posted:

I’m not a Mario maker aficionado so I don’t know this but how does the game/online service/players in this challenge tell the difference between a theoretically completable stage that nobody has succeeded at yet, and one that is actually narrowly impossible?

I believe that the creator has to clear it in order to upload it

Vinciolo
Aug 27, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

I believe that the creator has to clear it in order to upload it

However, there's the issue of 'hacked clears', or people who have used modded Wii Us to clear the stage. Some of these levels were even in the final 100 - but they tend to be removed by Nintendo.

And then there's the ones where they have hacked clears and then somebody beats it legit.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

heehee posted:

here's the TTH clear vid from the creator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siz4oB4CGKo

the gap between how easy it looks and how hard it actually is is hilarious

For certain definitions of the word "easy" :stonklol:

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
SGDQ 2024 run submissions are now open through March 24th!

https://x.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1767688488533823603?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

https://www.twitch.tv/thabeast721

live doin last dance runs