Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
For convenience's sake, I saved all of you the trouble and put myself in the recordbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I bet you aren't even a real dog.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Don't make me summon my cheerleader squad on you

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Canis Element

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm gonna start my own recordbook. With blackjack. And dragster.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Kennel posted:

2017 TAS awards (voted by the forum members)
http://tasvideos.org/Awards/2017.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wv4vIzLqSw
this is wonderful :allears:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

FirstAidKite posted:

What is leeching?

Doing something to increase points instead of moving on if you can, or as defined by TG: "A means by which a player accumulates additional points in game while engaging in activities that do not contribute to progressing to the next stage, screen or level, and while such activities are engaged, a player is not inhibited to progressing to the next stage, screen or level during commission of said activities. In general, a player should always be making a meaningful or conservative attempt towards progression within the generally accepted intended spirit and direction of the game."

As far as I know some game rules don't ban this altogether but still prohibit "excessive leeching", defined by the whims of whoever's judging

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

tiistai posted:

Doing something to increase points instead of moving on if you can, or as defined by TG: "A means by which a player accumulates additional points in game while engaging in activities that do not contribute to progressing to the next stage, screen or level, and while such activities are engaged, a player is not inhibited to progressing to the next stage, screen or level during commission of said activities. In general, a player should always be making a meaningful or conservative attempt towards progression within the generally accepted intended spirit and direction of the game."

As far as I know some game rules don't ban this altogether but still prohibit "excessive leeching", defined by the whims of whoever's judging

I don't get it

Isn't the point to beat the game fast? Why do points matter? Wouldn't leeching then lower your in game time and defeat the purpose?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Suspicious posted:

I remember having a very low opinion of TG in the past because they didn't publish runs submitted by tape and had a bunch of silly arbitrary rules like no mockball in super metroid. Is this still the case?

The rules are pretty arbitrary (but that's somewhat true of categories in speedrun.com).

The real problem is that they are capriciously applied. When Darbian got his 5.57, several people called for rom checks and post screens and other such things that don't exist for many of the times on their board.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Renegret posted:

I don't get it

Isn't the point to beat the game fast? Why do points matter? Wouldn't leeching then lower your in game time and defeat the purpose?

Twin Galaxies has records for points for some games, so that's a concern there.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

TG keeps track of high scores mostly. In the last few years they added speedruns.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
why the gently caress are you not allowed to grind for points in a high score run god dammit

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Renegret posted:

why the gently caress are you not allowed to grind for points in a high score run god dammit

Leeching is about as nebulously defined as glitchless. They're trying to prevent people from infinitely farming points without any risk.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Renegret posted:

Any game where this "leeching" rule would kick into play is probably not a very fun game to high score run in the first place, to be totally frank.

granted yes it's a dumb rule but it also reminds me of why I don't generally do score attacks in the first place

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rubellavator posted:

Leeching is about as nebulously defined as glitchless. They're trying to prevent people from infinitely farming points without any risk.

and suddenly everything is clear to me

it is clear to me that nothing is clear

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Twin Galaxies is still stuck in the past back when you didn't really get anything more complex than arcade pacman and I'm honestly not sure if whoever is on their 'judging' panel has played much of anything newer

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
hi speedrun thread for reasons unknown I'm still playing a 5 minute game jam game instead of something more interesting but we did find a new glitch that cuts like a minute off the run, so now it's a 4 minute game jam game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8f5ChzrxXs

basically, pressing "3" after firing lets you fire again if you do it about every half second. This game controls with the mouse and WASD, so having to use that to aim and dodge while simultaneously trying to rhythmically tap out LMB and 3 is some of the weirdest pretzel input poo poo I've tried to do for a dumb speedrun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't suppose there's a decent way to remap the controls so you can tie the 3 to another button that'd make it easier to run, yeah?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't suppose there's a decent way to remap the controls so you can tie the 3 to another button that'd make it easier to run, yeah?

the game doesn't support key remapping of any sort, has no gamepad support and I don't even know of any software that lets you map keys to other keys in an especially convenient fashion.

it's a game jam game it's pretty light on the usability front

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Would file modification to change the controls (if that's even feasible) disqualify any runs?

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Get one of them MOBA/MMO mice with the number keys right on them?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Would file modification to change the controls (if that's even feasible) disqualify any runs?

Impossible without decompiling the game and recompiling it and then you just have a different build of the game entirely.

meteor9 posted:

Get one of them MOBA/MMO mice with the number keys right on them?

programmable mouse buttons would probably be the thing yeah but I can't be arsed with buying new junk to speedrun a free game! PC speedrunning sucks!

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
could you play with a mouse + controller and use joytokey to bind dpad to wasd and 3 to left bumper?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Hyphen-ated posted:

could you play with a mouse + controller and use joytokey to bind dpad to wasd and 3 to left bumper?

maybe but that seems like it'd be more awkward than just doing finger twister on my keyboard,

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
using X-Mouse Button Control to temporarily bind 3 to your RMB might also be an option. I don't know what the policy is on using that kind of software for speedruns tho, since it can potentially be used to set up funky macros and stuff?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

it's a long enough run that i basically don't see that ever being a problem

just wanted to say you were really good on the couch for re7.

didn't see this posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-H4sEHB54

lol his other claimed records are so much worse than 5.51. this guy is so bad at cheating.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 27, 2018

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

maybe but that seems like it'd be more awkward than just doing finger twister on my keyboard,

I did mouse+dpad for certain isaac builds and it didn't feel awkward at all. pressing the shoulder button constantly might be though, dunno

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

If you have a Logitech mouse with more than two mouse buttons then Logitech SetPoint lets you map practically anything to the additional buttons.

Comedy option: Get a foot pedal and map it to the 3 key.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Kinda sounds like you're trying to make things more difficult for yourself for the purpose of fun.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

If you have a Logitech mouse with more than two mouse buttons then Logitech SetPoint lets you map practically anything to the additional buttons.

this actually worked pretty well so i cut another 20 seconds off any% and like two minutes off the category where you fight the super secret boss or whatever

neat

think I'm done here now, thanks thread!

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 27, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
isnt that now tool-assisted

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Any run SaP does is tool-assisted.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Groovelord Neato posted:

just wanted to say you were really good on the couch for re7.

didn't see this posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-H4sEHB54

lol his other claimed records are so much worse than 5.51. this guy is so bad at cheating.
Apollo Legend has been showing up in my youtube feed a lot recently with generally interesting speedrun top tens and other content, so I decided to check out his channel page with a view to subscribing. But I scrolled down his video page and it turns out he's a total shithead.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cool general speedrun youtube people? I'm after world record progressions, trick explanations, speedrun news, highlights etc. rather than just peeps who put their PBs up on youtube.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

isnt that now tool-assisted

it's a mouse and it's got extra buttons

it's no more tool assisted than the thing half plays his console games with

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

DoctorWhat posted:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

DoctorWhat posted:

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I'm about to start a run of Alien: Isolation, if interested. I've got like 2.5 years rust though so it's going to be terrible.

https://www.twitch.tv/saturnine

edit: welp never mind internet dead

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 27, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

here have a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic video that was recommended to me on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5TGFEoidEM

:barf:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

People love to have a reason to hate on GDQ. Why? Because you're not supposed to curse on stream? Because Mike Uyama supposedly had mono that time?

I have yet to hear a real argument. Every point is basically "this charity event, which raises millions of dollars to help people, isn't being run exactly how I would want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

financially racist posted:

here have a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic video that was recommended to me on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5TGFEoidEM

:barf:

On mobile with no preview and i still knew which one this was without having to click

Gotta bait those clicks talking about made up bullshit since they can't create any real worthwhile content i guess