Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

s.i.r.e. posted:

Should have been "Speedrunning Thread - Avoiding sloppy seconds"

Speedrunning Thread 5.7-Avoiding sloppy seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

who are all these people who think passive aggressively smelling like poo poo is a better solution that communicating like an adult that you don't want to host for the misogynist guy?

Good point, people should take the mature and reasonable approach rather than just being passive and making others uncomfortable.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

It's appreciated. I've let the active mod in the Terraria speedrun community know, but Badger is one of the inactive mods so it's not an easy situation

That sounds like it should be easy.

And if they want to discount it as just allegations, he decided to also doxx the absolute piss out of both of the accusers. Even if the claims are completely false, that's a big hell no.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/KZ_Frew/status/1281693342338887682

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Yes, he was a terrible person, but :yikes:

e; Oh, I see, that's either your gimmick or you are also in need of help. I hope you get it if the latter.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 31, 2020

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

Holy poo poo, a Star Control II run at a perfect watching time for me. I will be so there.

Hoping this one will be a marathon safe route and not a save scummy one, the routes I've seen for it in the past are super super risky and RNG on danger planet landings.

Top Gear 3000 is a must watch for me, that game is absolutely stupid towards the end when you're hitting 500+mph and have about 3 frames to react to anything.

A Sim City run is :psyduck:

It's kind of wild if you look at 20 year old games, vs 30 year old games. The look of those is extremely different compared to 20 years old to today. Shadow of the Colossus is 16 years old

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

If you haven't been watching the Retro Marathon, it's been a series of trainwrecks in the runs, but still entertaining. Star Control did some classic Star Control things and has much more combat than the speedrun is supposed to have. FF6 Worlds Collide has been amazing RNG (no one tested the seed)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Just to give an idea how comical a trainwreck it is. He just fought Whelk. It took 16 minutes

This run is absolutely must watch.
https://twitch.tv/videos/1001545401?t=84833s

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2021

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

70 Star SM64...blindfold, for 2 hours? :psyduck:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

The pastebin link was reposted above and still works, and obviously pastebin can't delete other people's Twitter posts. Y'all overthink things sometimes.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Did all the people that enjoy stupid speedrun drama all get banned or something? Figured they'd be all over this, especially since it's drama that doesn't actually hurt anyone (well until the legal cases start up)

https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1538688952714072066
https://twitter.com/GUCFan/status/1538689341966499842
https://twitter.com/GUCFan/status/1538691416569823233
https://twitter.com/Neardayo_/status/1538654308949889024
Translation: At the Games Done Quick event that everyone has probably heard of, Chunyism was broadcast on the Paradise Lost crackboard, and the PC monitor and controller are also on the camera, [so I can't even gamble].. Wow.
[I don't think this part translated accurately?]

https://twitter.com/Nitram_dx/status/1538616074345664513

Basically, a game that is only available in a certain region, and only on an arcade cabinet was quite clearly pirated, and you can see the pirated equipment in the stream. And GDQ was banning everyone who pointed this out, including a seemingly official (edit: It's a fake) Sega account.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 20, 2022

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Even if it was a real company account, that'd just be amusing, the actual damage is the straight up piracy of something that is absolutely not available on anything but arcade.

e; Ok, more accurately, the CLEARLY VISIBLE WITHOUT ANY DENIABILITY piracy

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 20, 2022

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

The catch of FFX run is, it's not a TAS in the way we usually see TAS. It's not a series of recorded inputs feeding back in, it's an AI playing the game by algorithm decisions, which is why it can theoretically run without a pre set seed

I think it was posted before, but here's a showcase of it if you missed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvz-XdiNuKI

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

They had the 2 quickest responses to that post in this, the speedrunning thread. I believe that makes them the best.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Speedrunners are well known for having the occasional odd requirements, but "must have severe illness" in order to be in charge of GDQ is one of the weirder ones.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

They should do it sooner so the assholes will out themselves before it's too late to remove them.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there's been a few times where they stalled for like 5 minutes to meet an incentive and that can be charming, but the stalling for the blindfolded run at sgdq was torture, even if the run was worth it.

and between the economy not doing so good for most people and the fact that, let's face it, speedrunning is largely a fad that has just about run its course, they need to set goals more realistically. i think they've said in the past that they do set incentives and poo poo based on how donations are coming in, but whether that is the case or not, sgdq had a lot of way over-optimistic goals. i hate seeing incentives for a game fail to get met, and the actual runners probably get super bummed when the run they have practiced ends up not happening and they need to do an easier, less impressive or less complete run instead because gdq thinks a 20,000 dollar incentive for the obscure old game they run stands any chance at all of being met.

Basically this.

A little stalling is good. The hour long drag out when they were already looking at a 6 AM finish time was just completely excessive, even though the run was incredibly worth the wait. And while it's for charity and all that, it's a bit scummy to be "forcing" money out of people with less self control who were already at or over their donation limit. Hopefully they set the targets better this time, I think 20 some incentives were missed in SGDQ and only a couple were cosmetic/not gameplay related. It's rule 1 of setting donation targets, set targets you WILL achieve, move the goalposts if you need to as discretely as possible.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

You get the hotel reservations through the GDQ reservations, don't you?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Honestly, if they managed to beat it using autohotkey of all things, they deserve credit for it. Having it do that many time precise actions in a row without failing is like building a birdhouse by throwing a hammer at the nails from 5 feet away. Beating the level legitimately would be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Why is cbt followed by golf funny

Googling "CBT" doesn't really help (at least it didn't for me), but apparently people read it as "Cock and Ball Torture"