Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Little Mac posted:

I got a donation reading GDQ WR during Super Mario 3 lol

SMB3 was a hilarious run to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TeaJay posted:

I don't think I've had any audio problems on the commentator side?

Yogi is absolutely killing it right now.

He just crushed it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I am going to hear "h h Greeeeeeegg" in my nightmares.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm going to miss "Warning: Sex Detected".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

mfcrocker posted:

*Summoning Salt voice*: and then just 2 days later...

Alternatively:

*Summoning Salt voice*: It took 3 years before another runner would take up the challenge...

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

fool of sound posted:

Check out any runs by Gyre, he does an excellent job of that. I don't think he's running Final Fantasy run on the new battle rng manip route because it's crazy hard, but he did GDQ run with feasel that goes over all the encounter rng manipulation they do, which is basically a game spanning step route.

Seconding any runs by gyre; he's really chill to watch and very practiced at explaining what's going on. These days his stream is mostly FF Randomizer, but his GDQ/LimitBreak runs are usually excellent.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

UraniumAnchor posted:

Bit later than expected, but here:

https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1391262713280712706

I didn't make it in

Arabian Nights again almost makes up for the lack of Blaster Master.

Almost.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I feel like "Losing Time Due To Gender" would make a good thread title or something, but either way I enjoy this quirk of the Chicory run.

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1409514443319529472

Eschew Gender to Save Time

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I believe the RTA TAS is 4:54.265, so according to my math without actually checking, there are 39 frames left to save.

This is now relevant again

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Propaganda Hour posted:

Are we sure we can't blast the console with cosmic rays to reduce that loading time by a few frames?

Maybe there's a $70 peripheral we can plug in.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

UraniumAnchor posted:

:toot:

David is the guy who's 2006 run (captured on VHS!) I had to beat when I did my own run all the way back in 2009.

You could say this race is 16 years in the making.

I love Blaster Master so I'm very excited for this race.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

eonwe posted:

i love blaming UA for everything

I blame UA for there not being more Blaster Master in GDQs.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

heehee posted:

oneshorteyes vids are so sick

I love how he always tries to get interviews with the runners. It makes the videos way more engaging for me versus the typical record videos that only feature 3rd person narration.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DoctorWhat posted:

Summoning Salt is normal he's just extremely formulaic and non-technical

I find Summoning Salt videos interesting, but not entertaining. I’ll watch one once and go “cool, neat to see the time drop like that” but they’re just so samey that I usually don’t want to rewatch one.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah to me the only real interesting parts are:
A) A new skip/discovery/technique causes a route change or dramatically changes the strategy in some way.
B) A new runner joins the scene and shakes things up (assuming the person is interesting to hear from or something)
C) Occasionally, weird drama around different categories or cheating or something.

But it's mostly A.

That's why I love something like OneShortEye's King's Quest 6 video so much. Not only does it have lots of weird discoveries, he also talks to the runners to get their reactions to the discoveries.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

pronouncing it "browes" seems to be trendy these days, for some weird reason

And yet nothing will be as wrong as pronouncing SNES as “snez”.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Golbez posted:

I feel like it's generational? I got a SNES in 1991 as a kid and I've always said "Ess Enn Ee Ess" or just "Super Nintendo". Saying "Snes" as a single word is so very wrong.

I blame Nesticle for letting people think it should be pronounced as all one word.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

A Real Horse posted:

This is how I learn there is a Mystic Quest randomizer?!

Can’t wait to hear the best battle music in gaming.

I think this is the second (or maybe just improved) mystic quest randomizer. The original could screw you over since equipment is equipped automatically and you could lose vital resistances that way.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

He's jumped from "it was spur of the moment" to "it was planned" to "it was metacommentary on content creators exploiting speedrunners for profit" so uh

more power to him I guess

Been a while since someone tried a good ol' puppet master defense.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The invisible hand of the speed run leaderboards.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

it's an extremely common sponsor and the product itself is kinda trash because all of the ad reads are SECURE URSELF

get paid, etc. but it still sucks

Hook up your new VPN while you make your HelloFresh meal cooks and you sip a nice coffee from Trade Coffee.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

dpkg chopra posted:

Lol I thought this was about that dream thing from last year is this another Minecraft cheater?

Yes it's a completely different cheater.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

fool of sound posted:

Salt is trying to give a narrative about how a speedgame scene developed and the back and forths are part of that, but the fact is that the actual history of record holders isn't really the story of a speedgame. Compare OneShortEye's stuff, which is going for the same thing that Salt is. OSE's videos spend a lot of time interviewing community members about their personal experiences and anecdotes, talking about the community around the game that permits record lowering. He acknowledges the rote competitive history but doesn't make that extended stretches of his videos.

OSE is great at bringing in the human elements of the record history, which makes his videos records much more compelling for me. I know you can't always get people to talk to you, but it's just so much better when you've got the runner talking about how their rivalry with the new blood got them pumped to take back their record instead of just having the narrator recount how often the record flipped.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
OneShortEye has a followup KQ5 video in which an old mystery is solved

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

BoldFace posted:

Shame that they're not doing an offline marathon.

Better online than offline and in Florida.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kikas posted:

Oh man Keizaron is gonna have a field day with this.

Mike can ban him one last time on the way out.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

What did he get banned for?

It was a running joke during the 2020 Animorphs run that Keizaron would be banned if he went over estimate. He did, gave his badge to Mike, and they kept joking about it through the next run which was Super Hydlide.

If he was actually banned I don't know, it was just fun to watch them banter about it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

When watching speedrunning world record videos, do you prefer the people that, when they finish the run, go "ah cool I guess I got a WR. That took me 14000 tries. Thanks to everyone who subscribed today!" or do you prefer screamers?

I really dislike the screamers, so anything other than that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

A Real Horse posted:

If you are able to watch the Ultima First Age of Darkness speedrun on RPGLB right now, you should. Organmike is running with their daughter Charlotte as copilot and it is absolutely adorable.

His Bard's Tale run was also good, though his copilot was asleep since it was past her bedtime.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Donnerberg posted:

Youtube optimized:

Man Spike has aged pretty poorly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TeaJay posted:

Watched the Ninja Gaiden 2 video too, it was fun, but I think I prefer OneShortEye's videos simply because you have the runners themselves commenting about the process. It's more like an interview than a statistics recap. I do understand that not everyone might not be interested in explaining their runs, though.

And lately he’s even been getting some developer interviews in his videos, which has really taken them deeper into documentary territory and away from the more common statistics recaps.

Basically if you like learning about adventure game speed runs you need to give OneShortEye a watch.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

One of the remote runs is a Dog-Assisted Speedrun of Gyromite and I can't decide if that's stupid or the best kind of stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvShUE5zIXE

This is going to be one of the highest grossing runs.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Interesting, I wasn't expecting them to end with FF5.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Cool Matty posted:

Just letting you all know that the schedule page was updated (again) fixing many of the complaints levied at it here. Such as better colors on the toggles, and displaying the console information.

More updates will occur throughout the week I'm sure. Thanks for the feedback.

Can you also fix this page: https://gamesdonequick.com/covid

It's impossible to scroll down to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Musical_Daredevil posted:

After 4(?) years of submitting Morrowind All Main Quests and getting rejected, I'm finally in!

Congratulations; I am looking forward to your run!