Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Maybe this year I'll do some more speedrunning.

Maybe this year I'll actually do more routing for Ultionus and figure out if it's faster to just skip the shops or to go buy the upgrades and if it's better to buy offensive or defensive upgrades.

Maybe I won't do any of that and I'll just keep shitposting in here about how I'm finally gonna do the above 2 things.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Dunno if it is still true, but they famously banned using the crouching stab attack in OoT because it was bugged and did the damage of your last attack. No setup, thats just how it works.

Then there are other weird rulings theyve done more recently. Someone beat PJs Battletoads and Double Dragon run by leeching the final boss, which is against the rules for TG, by rationalizing that PJ had to have done it. They accepted it. PJ produced the video proving he didnt leech, and not only didnt remove the new run, but refused to outline what acceptable levels of leeching would be when you can leech indefinitely.

Theyve also allowed a whole lot of really, really crazy people to remain on their site for years without consequence, and are still obsessed with protecting Todd for some reason.

So, yes.

What is leeching?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I bet you aren't even a real dog.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Canis Element

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't suppose there's a decent way to remap the controls so you can tie the 3 to another button that'd make it easier to run, yeah?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Would file modification to change the controls (if that's even feasible) disqualify any runs?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Which run is this in reference to, I haven't gone through a lot of the gdq backlog yet

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Anyone wanna see me speedrun Dragster faster than Todd?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Congratulations HC :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was so excited last night because while playing through Ultionus and practicing for some short little optimization stuff, I found a glitch that actually helps with one of the hardest fights. Not that the fight itself is hard, but it has enough RNG to make it annoying.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/224523924

I was loving up and I kept dying and I accidentally died in the hallway right before the boss room. When I went back to the boss room, the boss trigger had actually moved to the hall before the boss so the fight started without actually locking the camera and setting the boss walls to be solid.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/224524630

If I just kill the boss then it crashes the game, but as I found out in the above clip, I can just walk on through the room. Saves me bunch of time and lets me avoid fighting the one RNG boss in the entire game. Such a lifesaver.

It's kinda cool finding a speedrun glitch thing. It's almost like I'm a real speedrunner now or something :P

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was the one cheat/splice NES Punch-Out thing? I remember it being something to do with the background audience sprite and how it animates and that you could tell a run was faked because the background would animate differently or something to that effect.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/225529417

A new world record for Ultionus 100% Easy!! :D

I lowered the time down to 20:11 from the time before (21:54). I accidentally paused the timer during this run so the timer is all fucky, gotta manually fix those splits now. Hopefully shouldn't be much of an issue though.

I'm excited that I was able to finally break my record. My run isn't perfect (I died a few times on stage 4 so that really slowed things down, so did my deaths on the last stage 6) but I'm hoping to push to maybe sub 19.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are there any other games that are modified for their runs?

I remember years and years and years ago a guy was telling me that half-life speedruns are lame because they use a modified version of the game's uhh gauss gun I think to get higher jumps with it or something. I don't know how true that is though, if that was ever a thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I got a new PB/WR in Ultionus earlier :D

https://www.speedrun.com/Ultionus_A_Tale_of_Petty_Revenge/run/zxv5p3ky

That was fun. I just wish I didn't suck so much at the final stage. I'm absolutely awful at shmups and it is a shmup stage that I have to play well in or else I lose tons of time due to it being an autoscroller. On top of that, your ship only ever has a max of 3 HP regardless of whether you get HP upgrades or not during the game, and the ship fires as fast as you can mash the button so if my knuckles or fingers start hurting then I'm hosed :\ Kinda wish I could just find a way to make that stage easier because as it stands, that stage is now the biggest problem. I was doing some attempts earlier and I went into that stage at like 15~ minutes and ended up dying so much that I went over 20 minutes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I managed to softlock right after beating the final boss in Ultionus. It was a good run too. I'm the only person running the game right now and I moderate the community for it (ie just me) so I think I'll approve it anyway since I did complete everything that would normally end up in a final run, it's just that a bullet from the final boss killed me after I killed the final boss and the boss was despawning, so when I respawned, I was softlocked into an infinitely scrolling screen where the final boss won't show up because he's dead. Normally the time ends right as soon as you kill the final boss so I think I'm just gonna count this as a finished run even though it softlocked after the boss rather than going to credits.

Hell of a way to end a run at least. And plenty of places to save time, too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SUB 18 HAS HAPPENED

Now to aim for sub 17 now that I have a new route that is centered around me not sucking at the game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't even know you still posted here lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Somewhat related to speedrunning, peaches does that one vid of you returning hulk hands to a store because you couldn't knock down buildings with them still exist?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like cool out of bounds speedruns and I don't like uncool out of bounds speedruns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GNU Order posted:

As a show of solidarity I’m going to make a post that goes out of

This some fake-rear end poo poo right here, I'll show you how to really go o̼̳͔̙͍͙̯ͣ̏̃͊ͣ̌͒ͪͬ̋ͬͣͩͅu̫͈͕͓̲̦͎͍͈̗͈̭̺̼̲͊͗̈̀̈́ͣ͗ͩͥ̑͌̚̚̚ṫ̰̯̪̖͓͙̖̟͈ͮͧ͊͂́̊̉ͮ̇̈́̓ ̭̝͈̮̤͈͚̮͕̮͖͓̤̻̱̠̥ͩ͛̋̉o͎̥̼̖̜̺̬̬͚̯̩̯͛ͦ͒̀͌̂̿ͦ̅͆͛ͩ̌̉ͭ͛f̮̮͕̪̞̣̞̤̤͕̱͕͙͍͍͙̱͗̋ͭ̍ͅ ͚̙̤̦̃̉̂̌̇ͮ̚̚ͅb̤̫̥̘̪͕̬͕̪͉̦͓̺̦͈̐͛͌͛o̮͔̺̙ͣ̍͐ͪͭ̀̆̍ͦṳ̯͎̖͙̬̦̺͍̲̠͉̱͕̪̮͙̬̰̃͐͑̿͋̃͑̋ͬ̈̔̂̈́n̬̘̲̞̪͖̭̫͇͕͉͙͕͆̈́͗͐ͬ̈ͦ̄̾d̼͍͇̼͉̩͎̦̥̖̭̺̫̤̣̬͖͋ͪ̌ͤ̐͐̓ͧͭͨ͋͆ͩ͛̑ͧ͗͒̚s͓̝͉̘̣͓͉̺̭͎͎̹̙̤̞͔̮̗̿͆̍̔̄ͩ̍̋̆̃̽͐ͥ͊̐̈ͨͧͅ.̻͕̫̳̗̱̝̺̹͉͕̘̏͛̓̎̑ͥ̈́ͦͯ̾ͣ̈̏̌

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 9, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Glitches get stitches

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.speedrun.com/Myst/run/yw1jp69z

Here is a cool run of a good game and it has some neat speed strats.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8gHUS_Krc

This speedrun owns because of the commentary over it imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

it takes fuckin EFFORT to make a good CD

Yeah but I could just make a playlist, like, nobody's gonna see a guy with a CD and go "oh man that guy's so cool"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.speedrun.com/bl1/run/z13e22gm

So uhh

10 minutes and 30 seconds in, just skip to that point and watch for about 30 seconds.

Can't wait to see this in a future gdq lmao

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oldskool posted:

:parrot: holy poo poo

:bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SeXReX posted:

imagine having WRs in a ton of obscure awful games no one cares about but ALSO you're an obscure awful streamer no one cares about so you suffer alone without chat

I saved time by not having to do the imagining part

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Golbez posted:

re Baiten Kaitos: Why hasn't the community just said, you know how some games let you drop to main menu? Some games let you reset, or use death to go faster? Some let you change the resolution, or FPS limit? Why not say, "We allow you to restart the console and change the clock to two weeks in the future"?

I haven't played it but I think I remember someone saying that it only changes based on time played, not time changed. Changing to 2 weeks in the future isn't going to add 2 weeks to the time spend playing a game.

If I'm wrong then sorry, hopefully someone with more experience will correct me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jesus

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infected posted:

Pfft, it's all about FF4 Free Enterprise rando nowadays, ya'll still living in 2017 with your ALttP randomizer.

What's ff4 free enterprise rando?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fawf posted:

Pretty sure something like this happened during an old bonus stream with a Game of Thrones fangame

It was the ultrajman game yeah, just a demo though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why make a new shitpost thread when we can just use this one

it'll save time :twisted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I keep confusing kid chameleon with chameleon twist.

Now there's a speed game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U1vMcZso0k

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Shoutouts to everyone in the chameleon twist community, all 4 of them

Sometimes small speedrun communities are fun

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Two is too many. If one other person runs my game I will get found out as being bad.

:emptyquote:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cat Poke.

https://www.speedrun.com/Cat_Poke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQeWGfzjiM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When it comes to golf games like nes golf or mario golf or kirby's dream course, do they time it by actual time spent playing the game or by amount of strokes they used to get into the hole?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like this video is a pretty good representation of speedrunning in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UjHwZXOejU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why is that an emote