Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Racing in to a new thread

emptyquote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

speedrun? I hardly KNEW her!!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

https://twitter.com/GoldenSRL/status/953872668129972225

It's that time again! The 12 hour challenge! That time where people attempt to learn a speedrun in 12 hours, what with all the new blood from AGDQ18 I figure this might be a good opportunity for some. The theme this time is "Motion Control" and you can interpret that as loosely as you want to or just ignore it completely, it's not like the theme is enforced or anything, learn whatever you like! Be one of the 50 people who will be extremely dull and put themselves down for Mario Odyssey or Galaxy or something and laugh as the No More Heroes community cries itself to sleep!

man first game i ever actually attempted to "speedrun" a year ago was Severed and this could finally be the opportunity to put in an actual decent effort into it... but... it's like a two hour run with no scene. it would mostly just be me looking at the maps and finding the most direct route and learning no subtlety about what upgrades would actually make the game faster or where to get consumables or anything lmfao. also my wrist would absolutely kill me after a couple hours let alone 12.

Abisteen posted:

gymnast86 found a way to skip the RNG bullshit with the fairies at the end of the WWHD any% run. I think that's a run that, as a result of that skip, may get a LOT more interesting in the coming months as more people decide to pick it up due to no longer having to deal with potentially a half hour or more of RNG crap.

Here's the clip where he reveals it on stream: https://clips.twitch.tv/AliveDaintyHamMoreCowbell

Edit: Since the clip doesn't explain what he is doing exactly, the thing he kills with the bow doesn't drop a heart unless killed by the sword. Before the clip, he buffered an input to hit it with the sword but have it stick to Link at the same time. He was then able to use the leaf to blow it up onto that platform. Because he hit it with the sword during the buffered input, the game thinks he killed it with the sword even though it actually died when shot by the bow. Hence, it drops a heart and the zombie hover works.

:captainpop:

hot drat, WW Any% has come back to life

DizzyBum posted:

I've finally updated my avatar. AGDQ 2018 was truly something special.

yeah!! hell yeah!!!!!! love that archen! i'm glad i could share the joy of him in the thread

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Flagrama posted:

You pay $99/yr or $12.99/mo to Twitch's parent company for that 1 subscription.

not really sure what your point is here, pretty sure they pay that for things other than the sub and the sub is just a bonus

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

look if you aren't talking about LTTP rando what the gently caress are you even posting for

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

what's the category for who can install the mod the fastest?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

when's NASA

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

grand theft grotto posted:

So it was an unforgettable luncheon?

get the gently caress out

Groovelord Neato posted:

the song at the end is unforgivably bad and i dunno how it ever made it into the game.

you too

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

tiistai posted:

Yeah. The cards are generated randomly, but each objective has an assigned "weight" to it based on some criteria that I'm not 100% sure about (I think it's how time-consuming and/or difficult the objective can be) and the generator tries to take the weights into account and make each row balanced. The runners aren't allowed to see the card until the moment they start the game, so they have to then think quickly, make a call on which row they want to complete and route that on their feet. Bingos have an increased emphasis on general knowledge of the game instead of just mechanical skill.

Obviously they're typically races, but Runnerguy's going to have to run it by himself in the marathon. He's been a big proponent of keeping bingo alive and will definitely have a lot to say about its history.

i had a vague familiarity with what a bingo race was but didn't know they were weighted, nor knew that runnerguy was going to run it solo and that he'll probably have things to say about it

definitely gonna check out this run

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hi i'm lurking because i never have anything to contribute

unless you want to see a speedrun of losing overwatch games the fastest

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

can't wait for rando rando, where you launch a nameless executable and it randomly picks a game that is then randomized

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

well poo poo

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

gonna miss a chunk of sunday to go to the pride parade but i'm looking forward to another week of epic shitposting with speedfriends :D

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Man I watched the banjo tooie run earlier today and I don't remember any kazooie butts so idk if I wanna know how people ended up posting about breegull bums

it's a long story

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

Did people chase punchy out again

speedrunning is bad because capitalism and my sonic fangame should be primetime

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

lowtax's rear end done quick

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm thinking of running bionic commando 2009 and i don't know what's wrong with me

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kikas posted:

I mean aside for the last 10 minutes with the final boss and the QTE-fest that follows it's a legit speedgame with great movement tech and some amazing glitches so small wonder you're considering runnin. Game good run good, community smol

:hmmyes:

mostly it's just my apprehension of "my first speedrun game" being something that at best is still a bit over an hour long. also i still have a sour taste for the story in the game being dumb and bad-- parts of it hilariously so but most of it just being ughhhhhhhhh.

that said it's a game i played a lot when it first came out because of how fun it was. mostly just hate the story even though i'd be skipping the whole thing lol

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Its short enough that it doesnt tank my entire evening after work, but long enough to discourage just resetting the moment anything goes wrong since Ive got a limited window anyways.

this is actually a really interesting perspective i hadn't considered. thanks!

sometime this week i'll almost certainly replay the game casually just to see how i feel about it. the swinging in that game is so good and the item fly you pulled off in your run seemed fun as hell. also the way you guys mentioned how inconsistent the game could be made me think it'd be a funny game to race if i ever got good at it, haha

since i've got your attention, you know of any info i should check out if i decide to start speedrunning it? i doubt there are many resources/guides or a discord channel out there for the vibrant biocom2k9 scene

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Im not really aware of any resources except maybe my very dated notes on SDA. A vast majority of the game is just learning to move intuitively and then figuring out the best way to use your resources, so just playing through is a great way to make progress for a while.

cool, thanks!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

scripting isn't bad it was just
1) a bad script
2) unrehearsed enough that it came across stilted in parts anyway

bit of a disappointment for odysseys first inclusion in gdq but there's no way it's not coming back

really the only joke about the script is was all the people theorycrafting "well it was bad on purpose as a play on how gdq has become too sterile and--"

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Every single time I watch a bunch of GDQ stuff I get the powerful urge to learn to run New Game Any% MGR. There's like.. 5 people on the leaderboard for that category so maybe it's a huge pain or something? The game is just so fun though and the boss fights rule.

Maybe this is it, this is the year..

my understanding from the one MGR speedrun i watched at GDQ a few years ago is it's pretty much you just spam Sky High over and over again

maybe things have changed?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

been playing some bionic commando 2009 the past couple days. only in like 30 minute bursts though because oh my god i am much rustier at this game than i remembered and my swings aren't nearly as clean as murphagator.

got stuck in the caves for like five minutes where you have to throw a rock at a wall to proceed. spencer kept throwing rocks behind him :|

also the game doesn't use scroll wheel to switch weapons? but seems to bind every separate weapon to different numbers even though you can only hold one non-pistol weapon at a time. ALSO i need to figure out what to bind these two separate melee buttons to lol

this game is much more of a mess than i thought it was but i guess i originally played on x360 back in the day

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Boogalo posted:

You can punch through the wall. :D

It was only discovered about 6 months ago. Works on all 3 item throw barriers.

i remembered murphagator saying something like that in his run but when i tried it nothing happened... but maybe i was pressing the wrong button or punching the wrong spot

will keep this in mind, thanks

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

nobody can convince me that Team PLC aren't the most fun speedrunners to watch

sorry studio/sexrex

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ArfJason posted:

PJ sneezing really hard in his home caused the TTC upwarp.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sorry murphagator but i think i settled on bloodstained curse of the moon as my first speedgame. i do hope to one day represent the dozen-large bionic commando fan club even if i put up a poor showing in 2009!

bloodstained kicks rear end tho. it’s super easy to pick up and practice in the bus, grind out individual levels. seems like it’s an easy run to pick up but tough to master? could just be me underestimating things. we’ll see.

feeling fairly confident in my level 1 being great but not perfect. fine by me. can beat the first boss in one cycle. currently practicing level 2.

will almost certainly stream some practice sessions at some point

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

dumb question when all y’all are practicing speedruns do you just play the full game over and over to learn it or learn it in chunks?

been toiling around in bloodstained and figured i’d learn it on a level by level basis. currently learned the tricks of two stages and moving onto the third. figured i’d learn it all before trying to string it together into a full run

i figure this is a case of personal preference but figured i’d ask it of curiosity

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Dont apologize for playing games you like.

i'm canadian, i apologize for everything

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hobojim posted:

That's a good tip, thanks!
I can't imagine someone would want to watch someone suck at Startropics of all things in terms of streaming, but maybe one day.

if there's anything i've learned over the past 5+ years of catastrophically bad let's play and streaming ventures, it's that people will watch anything

there's nobody streaming startropics at this very moment in time

someone out there somewhere might want to watch some hot startropics action but there's nothing live. be the change

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

tons of speedrunners/streamers don't use facecams (i don't either)

whatever works for you!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

The important thing is to just interact with people who are watching you. If you don't have a mic, pop into the chat when you get a few moments in game to say hi or talk about how it's going.

only thing i’d suggest is some people just want to lurk, so my rule of thumb is only to interact with people who interact first

if nobody’s talking that’s fine, just talk to yourself as if you were talking to people who were just listening. more people will be more keen to interact in the first place if you aren’t deadpan silent

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ah yes, let me load them up Twitch, noted well performing website. and then if i want to skip ahead or back in the run I can pixel-hunt around on the seek bar like an old adventure game, except instead of just not finding the hidden object, a misclick obliterates my save file (figuratively)

or i could watch them on one of the most tested and well-run video sites of all time, which is also coincidentally supported natively on literally billions of hardware devices

people aren't talking about the twitch vods on the gdq channel, they're talking about the website http://gdqvods.com which has every run on it with easily sorted and searched categories like runner, game, and event and clicking on the run you want immediately starts you at the time the run starts

that said as a point in the favor of the guy who's just hitting up youtube-- it's totally fine! this year they have improved their youtube uploads IMMENSELY. they used to just upload like 20 minutes worth of dead air at the start of each video and you'd have to dig in the comments for the time the run starts. this year all the setup time has been moved to the end of the video and the run starts very very closely to the actual start of the video. additionally the description will link both the runner introduction and the run start, in case you prefer one over the other.

gdq vods got a lot of popularity for ease of use due to the inconvenience of previous event youtube uploads -- and it's still great! -- but the youtube uploads are much better this year

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the posts previous to mine were advocating "vods" which i took to mean garbage twitch timestamps. considering this, and considering that your pet website is just a simple web list to either (a) youtube, or (b) awful twitch timesamps, my entire previous post is completely, perhaps even 110%, valid. don't pretend like threading the needle on a twitch vod seek bar and dealing with twitch's legendarily bad tech is preferable in any practical way to the :ghost:grave inconvenience:ghost: of seeking forward a couple of times on a GDQ youtube to find the start point. like i can't actually understand how this would ever be a point of contention outside of the historical anecdote of how really old GDQ uploads took weeks/months to get onto youtube because they had to be hand-janitored by uraniumanchor

lmao what the gently caress is this clown post i just tried to explain why people liked the site and understood why you thought people were talking about actual VODs

i literally could not have been less contentious if i tried

absolutely nobody is using twitch vods, yes they’re poo poo even if the vids weren’t 14+ hours long, this is just an easily searchable database that explicitly links to youtube start times when originally official gdq uploads did not

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i cannot believe there is more stuff in ocarina of time when they're already skipping the entire game

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

uh oh pancho! posted:

how else are you supposed to judge the human element

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i finally completed and submitted my first speedrun today!

got 25:29 IGT for bloodstained: curse of the moon. sets me nice and cozy in 6th place.

there is tonssssssss of room for improvement. made a bunch of mistakes. gotta... gotta lower my time........

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

shaved two minutes off my Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon Normal/Veteran Any% PB (god that just rolls off the tongue) for a cool 23:15 !

still 6th place on the leaderboard. still a lot of time to save. biggest step forward would be getting a full deathless run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

my runs got rejected from SRC because i didn't include the file select screen in-game timer in my twitch highlight...

...so i made a new clip with included and now i'm officially on the leaderboard :D

i'm a speedrunner now

got plenty of time to try and knock more time off it before AGDQ submissions roll around :cool: