Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

https://twitter.com/GoldenSRL/status/953872668129972225

It's that time again! The 12 hour challenge! That time where people attempt to learn a speedrun in 12 hours, what with all the new blood from AGDQ18 I figure this might be a good opportunity for some. The theme this time is "Motion Control" and you can interpret that as loosely as you want to or just ignore it completely, it's not like the theme is enforced or anything, learn whatever you like! Be one of the 50 people who will be extremely dull and put themselves down for Mario Odyssey or Galaxy or something and laugh as the No More Heroes community cries itself to sleep!

The theme is "Set in Motion" tho :v:

This might be a good time to pick up that Vice City any% run back or maybe I'll jump into Jedi Academy and see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Agoat posted:

I've always been confused as to why game with time trials never get picked up in the speedrunning community. I play Trials and I've always wondered why these communities are so separated.

Anyway, it'd be cool to speedrun Bomberman Hero but I don't think they take kindly to emulation so I'll probably skip out?
I think it's cause the community for a game actually likes playing the game or going for in game times, while speedruns would skip half of the game and fly by, timing it externally. I think Trials specifically have an active speedruns community, with runs appearing at gdqs and Esa.

For streaming emulation is A-OK, getting a run verified usually does require to run it on original hardware. Or you might get on the leaderboards but with an adnotation of *ran on emulator*, that's it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I've been watching a friend of mine and fellow Silent Hill runner (he was on the couch with me during Resident Evil 7 and stuff!) do runs of the first F.E.A.R game lately and the run is apparently loving amazing?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/207175770

my favourite trick is the one where you throw a grenade into a pile of collapsed rubble and then activate bullet time to jump off one of the pieces of rubble mid-explosion to get out of bounds. A trick so unbelievably rad I cannot believe that's a thing you can even do

Yeah from what i've seen in F.E.A.R. speedruns, prop gliding in bullet time is a legit tactic, shame it's not that reliable in most places because "physics"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Was there anything really controversial about agdq 2018 aside from having to pay 5 bux to be an edgelord in twitch chat? I don't want to watch that video.

We bought 2 identical emotes (at the same time, it was literally frame-perfect emote buying) over the course of the Better GDQ Thread, which was :emptyquote:, making it unusable for a while.

That's bascially the biggest GDQ drama this year.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

This is Dragster post.
This is a mandatory response: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfMQlvIzxLg

Well, if anything, we can now have a Gaming Scam Scale, ranging from Todd Rogers to Star Citizen.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

halfcoordinated posted:

I got world record for HoB a couple days ago. Not expecting to keep it for long but that's neat speedrunning stuff right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJ7u2AGhxk

Congrats!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

So is it consistent now?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SeXReX posted:

apparently made mostly just as a test of the tool they used to do it, there is a TAS of the first level of celeste now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4oqJ_QEGJE

:stare:

That's some nice platforming.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

if it's a good game to run except for one extreme case of rng it's fine to get rid of it so you can enjoy the rest of the game.

Well yeah shame we're talking about Inifnite here :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kazanski posted:

16:05 -- normally, when a door shuts on you, you lose 1 health. Some doors will continuously do so, causing your health to rapidly drain as long as you are blocking the door. Some poor mapper set the damage on this door to -1 instead of 1, so it gives you health. Of course, it's one of the doors that does continuous "damage." This is used to gain almost 5000 health, which is then used for the rest of the run to perform as many grenade/gauss jumps as possible without worrying about the damage.

This door is coded that way cause right when you enter a trigger, an AI wil start moving and go through that door. Because so many things in the HLengine are tied to framerate, at certain framerates, the door would just gib the NPC. So that door is set to heal, cause you shouldn't be able to reach it anyway, and that way it won't gib the NPC, no mater what that framerate.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zCQ_AtXZNw

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The AGDQ Highlight reel is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAzML4h0E4g

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
TMR running Cuphead? I've gotta see that.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
PEPSIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

synthetik posted:

Why is A Hat in Time on there twice?

Probably a Race, that's why we also have Legend of Zelda for the NES and Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo Entertainment System :v:

Also goddamn, seven different Zelda games this SGDQ. Plus the 7-hour FFVI run is back baby, time for BLUNDERSHOT.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

iPodschun posted:

I can't tell if I'm missing a reference or if you're confusing VI for Chrono Trigger

I am, having played neither :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And at the end there's a Megaman-like quick kill on the Hell Guards.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Eurogoons rejoice as usual, but then again loving TASBOT at 4AM round here.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Skyward Sword rules but is a bit hindered by it's control scheme, which is a lot better with the Plus addon. Dual Hookshots are pretty great.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That's hell of a glitch.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Call it glitchless/no cutscene grenade and you're golden. Also if you're the only person running it, you are the community, and ultimately everyithng in speedruns is decided by the community. Death warping isn't considered a glitch in most games either.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Kins posted:

I'm assuming this is the ESA schedule, and while it has some TR games, the only PS1-era one is TR3 (which is sandwiched between Guardian of Light and the awful Angel of Darkness). That said, I agree. I've had Footi's stream on my other monitor while doing stuff recently, and those PS1-era games are fun runs with a lot of entertaining bugs.

That's good to hear, cause I've tried watching... Anniversary? Or Underworld, and it was kinda like a Gothic speedrun - gain height with a jump exploit and skip over everything, not very interesting.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

can't wait for rando rando, where you launch a nameless executable and it randomly picks a game that is then randomized

ROM Check Fail already exists

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
If anyone can still stomach it, NASA is currently going: https://nasamarathon.com/schedule/

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Wouldn't lttp Rando be a terrible intro to speedrunning? Like there's a lot of improvisation based on items and what you pull, where to go next.i would've thought a linear game that focuses on execution would be the best starting point.

I always figured that it's only a great game for anything if you have the perfect knowledge of ALTTP in general, which is why I never got into it (never played alttp).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

i'm thinking of running bionic commando 2009 and i don't know what's wrong with me

I mean aside for the last 10 minutes with the final boss and the QTE-fest that follows it's a legit speedgame with great movement tech and some amazing glitches so small wonder you're considering runnin. Game good run good, community smol

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

:hmmyes:

mostly it's just my apprehension of "my first speedrun game" being something that at best is still a bit over an hour long. also i still have a sour taste for the story in the game being dumb and bad-- parts of it hilariously so but most of it just being ughhhhhhhhh.

that said it's a game i played a lot when it first came out because of how fun it was. mostly just hate the story even though i'd be skipping the whole thing lol

An hour is really okay for learning speedrunning, even with full attemps, you can fit a lot of those in a day.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Bionic Commando 2k9 is a good game followed by the worst loving finale in video game speedrunning history bar none.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

if you've never seen this sports TAS before you really need to see the legend of ANKIMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0boIUXHrWoY

I love the high jump the most :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
loving OoT

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I hope Necrodancer Coda% will go better than the last time. I'm also excited to see MGS2, I don't think this one was on a GDQ before.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Low running communtity is not synonymous with the fact the game isn't a popular game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

It's absurd, I don't know if he'll even finish a run

He had two attempts at a past event and failed both of them unfortunately, maybe he'll have better luck this time.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Imagine that there are people who went for Coda with a dance mat :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Power Up With Pride just announced the schedule for their winter marathon coming up December 6-9, lots of fun stuff in here, should be a blast.

https://horaro.org/wp18/schedule

Ho ho ho, gonna watch this, loads of good folks and good games in this.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Meanwhile, Power Up! With Pride is next week!

Wait, next week?
poo poo. Though it was today :negative:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Missed SexRex's run yesterday cause I was between home and work, but I caught the previous runs and the games looked like fun? That Super Bembo Quest or something especially looked like it had potential for an amazing speedgame.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
huh, the runner audio is desyced a bit from the game audio, at least for this SML2 run. Shame, makes Big Jons singing sound... not good.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
SeXRex run on PUWP now! Followed by a Celeste speedrun, Ticket speedrun and more SexRex and Halfcoordinated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And what good watch it has been, now I might play WitchWay. Or maybe even run it. Same with Ticket.