Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I've been attempting to do a skip in Bionic Commando and so far I've gotten it once in what feels like a hundred attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Murphagator beat Bionic Commando in under an hour!
https://twitter.com/MURPHAGATOR/status/960290101778632705

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hi speedrunning thread. I did a speedrun of Bionic Commando and went faster than I had previously gone. Still not faster than the one other person that runs the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw-TqX26VtQ

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Oh cool, I wasn't expecting Murphagator to be running Bionic Commando at GDQ. Would be cool if it gets some more people to run it.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Yoku's Island Express is a metroidvania pinball game that came out a few days ago and despite being sort of mediocre at pinball, and I made an attempt at speedrunning it. I might be the first person to do so? At least I haven't been able to find any other runs.

I think it could be cool to see someone actually good at pinball run it.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

:hmmyes:

i remembered murphagator saying something like that in his run but when i tried it nothing happened... but maybe i was pressing the wrong button or punching the wrong spot

will keep this in mind, thanks

It takes two punches and I think you have to jump to hit the breakable part of the wall.

It's pretty fast to use the punchy throw on the fissure wall if it works on the first attempt. I wouldn't even bother with the wire throw it gives you at that point.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

RoboJoe posted:

1) I've often read of the LttP randomiser in this thread and it sounds interesting to try when I get a better feel for the game, plus when I asked about the SNES classic someone mentioned it could be played on there, but I don't really know how to do it. Is it some kind of setting in the game?

Randomizer is a romhack and not an official thing by Nintendo. You'd add it to the SNES Mini the same way you'd add other games (also not something supported by Nintendo).

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Kennel posted:

This is rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu-UFGes6Cw

A bit slow start but in 6:10 they get the hook shot.

I should have checked the description before watching. Turns out there's commentary in the form of subtitles.

Oh well, it was still pretty cool to watch. It helped to have played the game before. It starts out with a big sequence break!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Are there any special tricks in the TWEWY speedrun? Routing seems like it'd be fairly straightforward?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

They're not great, but it depends heavily on the pins you're trying to use.

Anything that dictates you "press empty space" is generally kind of loving broken and will just refuse to activate a lot for absolutely no reason, they're broken for the most part. Psychokinesis will also just fail to activate if you're even vaguely near the obstacle you're trying to possess, it is also loving broken.

it's actually a routing problem because we'd probably be using Burst Round pins for the mid to late game, but they're "Press Empty Space" so they straight up don't work.

I would guess the issue is that if you're doing something with the partner that ends up moving the camera, which also changes the spot the cursor is pointing at. I think I might have run into it while using Beat, even just playing solo on the touch screen.

YggiDee posted:

I'm a huge fan of the original TWEWY so I'm really interested to hear how much the version differences will shake out in the results. Co-op mode might be faster as a whole, but are Burst Rounds good enough to justify swapping to the stylus, even temporarily? Are fusions scrapped entirely now that each one takes forever?

Switching to touch would require pulling the Switch out of the dock, preventing video capture.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I did a couple of basic runs of Yoku's Island Express right when it came out, but didn't really keep up with it. At some point I watched a run and was unable to do a skip like 3 minutes in.

Apparently someone figured out how to do OoB and now it's possible to skip right to the end.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I only hit post once, but it doubleposted.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Axiom Verge got a TAS and it's pretty cool

Starts out normal enough with just perfect movement and stuff and then once he gets the brown coat and drone swap and just goes completely mental.

I'm only a few minutes in and the perfect jumping already looks really cool.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

It's really impressive how he's managed to fit his whole foot in his mouth.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Bionic Commando is not a popular speedgame, but for fun I made a video showing some speedrun tricks.

If someone some day decides to speedrun BC09 this might be useful to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_KujYbO9Y

I also included a few clips of the game being dumb.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Hey nice job; I'd always meant to put something together like this but I am the supreme lazy on creating resources. I think I actually know what happened with the mohole at the end; after you hit it with a death from above it locks out the death from above action until the mohole burrows underground to prevent you from doing a second one after the initial hit. I don't know why they did it that way instead of a timer or something, but hey 2k9.

Glad people liked the GDQ run; its a rough game to commentate during but it was overall a good time.

That would explain why I also couldn't do any deaths from above while softlocking the mohole.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Ubisoft is gonna show a Rayman 2 speedrun in the pre-show for their e3 conference. Run by Glackum and commentated by SpikeVegeta.

Seems kinda neat for a major game company to show off a speedrun like that.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Olesh posted:

:thunk:

We're not talking about a race scenario where access to information or outside help is restricted, though. The fact that it's not considered cheating now that other people can freely utilize the information, logically, means that when only one person had access to the information, it wasn't cheating when they used it. It's an either/or scenario.

We live in a world where people can practice speedruns and test out strategies and do so in an environment where they have access to tools like RAM watch, savestates, and Notepad - and then they use that information in runs on real hardware. People have been speedrunning with RNG manipulation and either manipulating specific seeds or using gameplay to identify their seed (and thus have access to seeded information) for at least a decade, if not longer.

Basically, what was different when he was doing it (and you insist it was cheating) vs when you did it? The fact that it was pre-printed out in a table?

It seems pretty clear that the problem was that instead of freely releasing the info/tool they posted snippets of information in specific people's chats. And even if the full information had been released at that time, it should be up to the runners if they wanted it.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

i did a speedrun once, then the route changed and i was too inconsistent at it so i dropped like a rock down the leaderboards, and by "like a rock" i mean "from 2nd -> 5th" b/c it's not a particularly popular game

Same, except I was unable to do the new trick even once.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

When GDQ makes me want to speedrun I do Bionic Commando 2009.

It's a special game.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

What's the iQue?

Version of the N64 that was released in China. I forget the specifics, but its version of OoT had some differences that made it better for speedrunning.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I did a couple of Bionic Commando runs without recording video and they were minutes off my PB. Then I decided to start recording video and I got a new PB on the first attempt after that. Well, first attempt not counting the one I started over 15 minutes in because I lost a minute to a single missed swing leading to a death.

I believe the improved time was mainly due to swinging better and that there were few levels where I actually used different route than my old PB. There's even a skip that saves about 25s that I did in my old PB, but didn't get here.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Baba is You is not a game I'd ever have thought about speedrunning, but I also only made it about halfway through the game when I played it on my own.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Jabor posted:

It's a puzzle game with fixed levels, right?

I'm guessing that a speedrun would be more of a memorization and execution challenge than about live puzzle-solving.

Yeah, but I'd want to have beaten the levels on my own before memorizing optimized solutions.

Instead I speedrun a mediocre shooter with fun physics based movement.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

It's not a new record or anything, but I got another PB in that game I play.
https://twitter.com/Peewi/status/1218559210864115713

Also had a run yesterday that was overall really good, except I died on the Buraq and lost almost two minutes. Instead of just resetting I finished the run and it would have been a way bigger PB if not for the really bad death.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Yo nice! I really need to get myself motivated and get a run that includes the two real dirty skips but life just hasnt led me that way recently.

Right now I'm happy that I have a PB without any deaths. I didn't get polycraft skip and I don't think I've ever gotten the mohole itemfly death from above in an actual run. In both of these recent PBs I got an itemfly at the start of the mohole fight and then missed the DFA, so clearly it's time to load up the level and practice that.

In Port Anderson II I'm used to having to go to the third biomech in the first arena, but in this run it came to me. I don't think I'll ever understand enemy behavior in this game.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

heeheex2 posted:

lol

i feel like theres at least 100 games missing here...

How do you speedrun Luftrausers? Isn't that an endless highscore game?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

GDQ got me in the mood for some speedrunning, so I did my first Bionic Commando run in a little while. I was thinking it'd just be a warmup run and didn't bother recording video, so of course I end up PB'ing by almost 2 minutes.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Apparently there's a Super Metroid mod where multiple players share pick ups. And a 3 player co-op 100% run is happening.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

oldskool posted:

https://twitter.com/KubeRuns/status/1358898697338298372

I don't think anything will come of this, but hey, nobody thinks anything will come of anything until it does and it can't hurt to try

Doesn't the Twitch partner agreement disallow streaming on other platforms, preventing a bunch of people from participating in this?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Does anyone know if there's a convenient way to figure out how long the load times were in a video of a run?

Or do I have to manually find the loading screen transitions, write down the timestamps and add it up?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Saw a tweet the other day that said "what you think Zelda was 20 years ago" and showed LTTP and "what Zelda was 20 years ago" and showed Wind Waker and I immediately crumbled into dust.

That meme is thankfully a complete lie, as Wind Waker didn't come out until 2003 (or December 2002 in Japan).

At 21 years old, Majora's Mask is closer to 20 years old than Wind Waker's 18 years.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

As I sometimes do, I've been speedrunning Bionic Commando (2009) recently and even streaming it sometimes.

I've improved my personal best multiple times multiple times in the last month and just now I got my first sub-hour run with 59:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woLQ8yHNs9A

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Oh sick; cutting the hour mark is a nice place to be

Now if only I could actually explain what I've been doing different other than "I guess I did the swinging better than before" and "I didn't die in one of the levels where it'll cost a minute".

I did actually move my game install to an SSD recently after having experienced some randomly long load times. Today I measured the load times in a recent run and an old run and the SSD seemed to shorten the load times by around 25 seconds across the whole run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I'm up in about an hour with Morrowind for the marathon benefitting No Child Hungry.

https://www.twitch.tv/speedgaming

Run seemed neat, though I can't really claim to have understood it.