Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Suspicious posted:

I remember having a very low opinion of TG in the past because they didn't publish runs submitted by tape and had a bunch of silly arbitrary rules like no mockball in super metroid. Is this still the case?

Dunno if it is still true, but they famously banned using the crouching stab attack in OoT because it was bugged and did the damage of your last attack. No setup, thats just how it works.

Then there are other weird rulings theyve done more recently. Someone beat PJs Battletoads and Double Dragon run by leeching the final boss, which is against the rules for TG, by rationalizing that PJ had to have done it. They accepted it. PJ produced the video proving he didnt leech, and not only didnt remove the new run, but refused to outline what acceptable levels of leeching would be when you can leech indefinitely.

Theyve also allowed a whole lot of really, really crazy people to remain on their site for years without consequence, and are still obsessed with protecting Todd for some reason.

So, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
A lot of things happened in that thread. Most of which should probably be left to history (but probably wont)

SGDQ was a blast though.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
So obviously Im a bit biased here but still gonna post thoughts.

Ultimately, speedrunning is about getting good at something you like doing. The timer isnt really anything other than a convenient measuring tool. If you play games you like and just set goals incrementally, you can have a ton of fun with it.

As far as an hour being too long, I find an hour to be a pretty convenient length as someone who works filltime. Its short enough that it doesnt tank my entire evening after work, but long enough to discourage just resetting the moment anything goes wrong since Ive got a limited window anyways.

The story is definitely bad but sometimes dunking on a terrible story can be part of the fun too.

Kaubocks posted:

:hmmyes:

mostly it's just my apprehension of "my first speedrun game" being something that at best is still a bit over an hour long. also i still have a sour taste for the story in the game being dumb and bad-- parts of it hilariously so but most of it just being ughhhhhhhhh.

that said it's a game i played a lot when it first came out because of how fun it was. mostly just hate the story even though i'd be skipping the whole thing lol

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Kaubocks posted:

this is actually a really interesting perspective i hadn't considered. thanks!

sometime this week i'll almost certainly replay the game casually just to see how i feel about it. the swinging in that game is so good and the item fly you pulled off in your run seemed fun as hell. also the way you guys mentioned how inconsistent the game could be made me think it'd be a funny game to race if i ever got good at it, haha

since i've got your attention, you know of any info i should check out if i decide to start speedrunning it? i doubt there are many resources/guides or a discord channel out there for the vibrant biocom2k9 scene

Im not really aware of any resources except maybe my very dated notes on SDA. A vast majority of the game is just learning to move intuitively and then figuring out the best way to use your resources, so just playing through is a great way to make progress for a while.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Kaubocks posted:

sorry murphagator but i think i settled on bloodstained curse of the moon as my first speedgame. i do hope to one day represent the dozen-large bionic commando fan club even if i put up a poor showing in 2009!

bloodstained kicks rear end tho. it’s super easy to pick up and practice in the bus, grind out individual levels. seems like it’s an easy run to pick up but tough to master? could just be me underestimating things. we’ll see.

feeling fairly confident in my level 1 being great but not perfect. fine by me. can beat the first boss in one cycle. currently practicing level 2.

will almost certainly stream some practice sessions at some point

Dont apologize for playing games you like.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Watching this thread overthink GDQ staffs processes is always hilarious to me.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Matts post about lack of trust shows a pretty fundimental lack of understanding about what his position is, or why people dont trust stuff from a company. Disapointing he still hasnt learned that after all these years.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Peewi posted:

Bionic Commando is not a popular speedgame, but for fun I made a video showing some speedrun tricks.

If someone some day decides to speedrun BC09 this might be useful to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_KujYbO9Y

I also included a few clips of the game being dumb.

Hey nice job; I'd always meant to put something together like this but I am the supreme lazy on creating resources. I think I actually know what happened with the mohole at the end; after you hit it with a death from above it locks out the death from above action until the mohole burrows underground to prevent you from doing a second one after the initial hit. I don't know why they did it that way instead of a timer or something, but hey 2k9.

Glad people liked the GDQ run; its a rough game to commentate during but it was overall a good time.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

SeXReX posted:

Actually based on the number of people I know who use youtube search to try and find a world record because they don't know what speedrun.com is

They're good for the culture.

Wow they do a search? The number of runners Ive come across playing a game Ive run for "WR" without bothering to do so much as a single google search is staggering.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Its funny, since getting some personal stuff sorted out this year I was starting to feel bad about having quit as gdq staff a few years back, then this whole thing happened and all my regrets vanished again.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Same, but there's also a point at which where if you've spoken up a number of times and seen literally nothing come of it, you're going to say "alright, this isn't going to be redeemable with the current organizers" and go volunteer for PUWP instead

Im not going to go into details, but a bit of this and a bit of being involved was becoming a detriment to my mental health for various reasons.

Edit: doubling down on making fun of someone for a physical disability is a pretty poo poo thing to do. Theres plenty of stuff to talk about here without irrelevant childish poo poo like that.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Naegleria being banned rumor probably started because we was banned from the SDA forums just at the tail end of when that was relevant for GDQ stuff.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Peewi posted:

It's not a new record or anything, but I got another PB in that game I play.
https://twitter.com/Peewi/status/1218559210864115713

Also had a run yesterday that was overall really good, except I died on the Buraq and lost almost two minutes. Instead of just resetting I finished the run and it would have been a way bigger PB if not for the really bad death.
Yo nice! I really need to get myself motivated and get a run that includes the two real dirty skips but life just hasnt led me that way recently.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Purposefully ignoring peoples lovely behavior just because it didnt happen directly in this specific social circle is actively supporting their lovely behavior. If people were digging up idiotic things he said in high school it might be different, but saying "hey you are a racist but dont specifically do those racist things when around me, a white male" allows them to infiltrate groups and make them inaccessible to the groups they are hateful against.

Creating a space thats safe for both the wolves and the sheep is actually only creating a space thats safe for the wolves.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Strongly disagree. The classic mega man games offer a different experience to the later games, and have strengths that the older games dont. Dont confuse your personal preferences with a game being "obviously inferior". For me personally, the zero series actually sucks for a number of reasons (#1 being that the limited screen space is counter to the pace the games), but I still can recognize their appeal to others.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Ultima66 posted:

I feel like this shows that GDQ as a whole is just very lazy/uninterested in doing proper attribution when it's not someone the people making the decisions are very familiar with.

While thats a problem, theres also the fact that a lot of gdq is run by volunteers vs actual staff, and therefore are uncomfortable with making decisions. This happening during the stream probably means the actual staff was paying attention to something else at the time it was said. They strongly rely on the player submitted information during the game submission process.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
A few years back a person made a cheated zelda 1 run specifically to cheat in the most blatant ways possible without just having a video cut, and enough people still thought it was real that he decided to take it down. He did stuff like put items in his inventory he didnt have, went into a dungeon door and ended up in a different dungeon, and flat out skiped getting one of the triforce pieces, and it still wasnt enough. While the hardcore community catches on fast, the average joe youtube browser doesnt know nor care.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Oh sick; cutting the hour mark is a nice place to be

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Magnetic North posted:

Looks like he was on for Juneteenth? For the record, I dunno who BigJon is.

Oh, also, just a heads up. If you're ever like "Hey that speedrun adjacent person hasn't uploaded in a while, I wonder where they went," don't look it up. No matter what, it will be a disappointment. The answer is never "they found a fulfilling life outside youtube."

Theres plenty of speedrunners who have moved on to successful lives, you just dont hear about it because the internet spreads drama like wildfire while boring success stories kinda sputter out.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

bike tory posted:

is the default assumption here that speedrunning does not amount to a successful life?

Its certainly the assumption of the statement I responded to.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Aurora posted:

also it would be insane to submit dread while new stuff and routing isn't done

You say that as though a bunch of people dont just presumptively jam a new game into the submission field for attention every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
My guess would be the Harry Potter situation made them sit and take a harder look at some previous titles they were wanting to exclude rather than an indication that something specific happened with any one of those games.