Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kennel posted:

what the gently caress is speedrun?

a miserable pile of frames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Xenothral posted:

People getting caught cheating at speedrunning is probably one of the most hilarious things because of the excuses they come up with.

im sorry you just don't understand THE HUMAN ELEMENT

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

infinite runners are babbies lol

maybe but tbh who gives a poo poo tho

caring about the sanctity of objective records leads to the twin galaxies "glitches are banned" nonsense

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

UraniumAnchor posted:

I'm pretty sure you can be a little bit more nuanced about it than THAT.

good luck drawing the bright line anywhere that isn't silly

i'd rather just say that speedruns are all arbitrary to some extent (like every goddamn game has different timing start and timing stop, for example; goldeneye uses the to-the-second-only in game timer while i can't think of another game community that outright says any difference below a certain cutoff literally doesn't exist) and only really matter insofar as people running or watching the game care

i mean everybody complaining has zero interest in bioshock infinite runs (neither do i) so it really doesn't matter. let them do what they want there is no sanctity of the pure speedrun to be preserved

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

What does low% entail?

Getting as few items as possible but seeing as that video is the only entry for that category on the leaderboard at all it doesn't really matter in the slightest :v:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Crotch Bat posted:

Woops, forgot to add that part but it was from Twitch. Now sometimes Twitch permas can last lesser periods of time like several months or they can last years (Tyler1's insanely toxic gf got unbanned recently after 2 years I believe) or they can be actual permabans so who's to say on this.

I mean luckily if she wants to continue streaming there's Youtube, who at this point tends to give less of a gently caress than whatever sanitized poo poo Twitch is building towards, so at least she can still stream if it's a big deal to her.

yeah she was doing like, streaming all her time all of it no matter what and chatting and that does not fit with the TWITCH BRAND of streaming so off she went

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI62Gf7bc3c
Terraria: Expert Mode all bosses in 1h24m, UNSEEDED.
This is impressive, and possibly a little sad considering how many runs this must've taken to pull off.

Is that modded or has Terraria had a fuckload of QOL improvements since I last played?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

When did you last play? Hardmode and subsequent additions have been in for years now, and every patch has added all sorts of QOL additions as well as like two dozen more bosses.

After hardmode was added, though I never actually managed to get into hard mode, but before a lot of this stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

Does this include speedruns where they ban certain glitches for certain categories so that the run can be more visually interesting, like the various categories of OoT that don't involve warping straight from the Gohma fight to the escape down Ganon's tower?

that's where the word 'arbitrarily' is pulling an enormous amount of unwritten description along with it :v:

that said i do not think punchy would be caught dead speedrunning any categories except any% as Luigi intended