Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
The 12 Hour Challenge is a good time and I highly recommend it. I did SotN any% and Elevator Action Returns for the past two years and had a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

maou shoujo posted:

Who else here is participating in the 12 Hour Challenge? I'm going to learn Soul Blazer for my first recorded* speedrun ever. I've been pretty hype for SB since seeing elmagus running the JP version a couple weeks ago, and there's one other person learning it in the 12HC. Seems like a prefect time to get into the scene.

(*: I tried running Zelda 2 many years ago when the big hub was SDA, but I never recorded a run. My PB would have been about 1h55m for what's now Any% No OoB. I'd like to revisit that game someday.)

I'm skipping it this year but I did it the past two years and had a lot of fun. Hope it goes well for you.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Why is it tragic that a cheater was caught cheating?

It's tragic that someone felt like they need to cheat at a game that looks like

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Yeah it's real weird that game designer Rami Ismael might have some thoughts about games.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Pash posted:

Been speedrunning for a little while now, never thought I would but I really like the game Tokyo 42, and there were a couple of easy glitches I knew. Looked it up and 1: No one was currently running it, and 2: the only person who had run it had some big problems and didn't use the glitches. So... I proceeded to start playing and have not looked back...

If anyone is interested here is my current best time. I don't talk during it though (TV on in the background) so if you want some commentary on what I do here is my SGDQ Submission video.

This looks pretty rad and I like the banana jumps.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Public speaking is hard, especially when it's not your sole focus.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Congrats! I'm planning to start learning this game for the 12 Hour Challenge, it is rad as hell.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

axeil posted:

Punchy wrote a really compelling essay about speedrunning touranments and the way they're structured.

https://medium.com/@amussett17/double-elimination-belongs-in-losers-bracket-67def301be4e

tl;dr:

-They take too long to complete (some take months)
-Head-to-head isn't a very natural set-up for any kind of racing sport (Running/Swimming/Motor sports always have multiple competitors racing at once or use a time trial system)
-A lot of tournaments end up with the early and mid rounds being non-competitive
-Best of X or double elimination just makes the problem worse by prolonging things

I'm not sure what his recommended alternate approach is because there clearly needs to be some sort of event or it'll just be people staring at leaderboards all day. Still I think some of his criticism is pretty on-point.

axeil posted:

use a time trial system

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

flatluigi posted:

from IRC someone had the question of what games have the shortest (in terms of percentage of the any% time) difference between any% and 100% that isn't trivially different (i.e. any% isn't just 99.9% to begin with)

it's a neat question but I can't really think of a solution that doesn't involve manually going through speedrun.com for data and plugging it into a spreadsheet. is there an API or is this a thing someone has already done by some strange coincidence

It has to be Baten Kaitos, right?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

one day I'll learn how to read but it's not today

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

He's not, someone made that as a goof.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

"Does the racist, transphobic tire fire of a person still like the kids' cartoon" seems like a real weird thing to think about when there's just, everything else about him.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Nobody has ever been born in 1988

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Pretty sure it's just that you can't broadcast to twitch and another site simultaneously. There's plenty of people that stream on youtube and twitch on separate days.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

he used his huge fanbase to run kevinddr off twitch because kevinddr committed the cardinal sin of being a gay man

gently caress karl jobst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Junpei Hyde posted:

A lot of older retro games allow emulators to be used, you should check the speedrun.com submission rules for games you're interested in.

Alternatively, you can emulate even if speedrun.com doesn't like it, and just play the game fast anyway