Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Maybe this year someone will upload a full speedrun of Circa Infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If Activision really got photo proof of the 5.51 it was likely a lovely photo where the 7 looked like a 1 6 looked like a 5, in a 5.61 run. Well either that or he took a polaroid of a 1 digit and glued it to his TV over where the 7 (or 9) would show up. Or glued some green and black poo poo to the TV to force a 6 to look like a 5. Photos were not high quality back then, it'd be easy to just use physical alteration of the scene to fake a record like that.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 31, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
One of the given reasons for doing this was that people would just grind out the hat. It saves 8 minutes so it's going to save time even if it takes you 2 minutes to grind out the hat. Using the mod eliminates the grinding time.
It's not that 98% of runs are just dead when they get to that point. It's that 98% of runs have to waste a varying amount of time getting the hat.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is everyone ready?

https://esamarathon.com/

However, the actual marathon schedule doesn't start till on Tuesday. https://esamarathon.com/schedule

What are they going to stream before then?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

Less weed chat, more speedruns

The Useful Dead is $2 and a good speedgame and has the best speed trick.

So, Life Goes On but shorter and less questionable hitboxes perhaps?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

What does low% entail?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.speedrun.com/Myst/run/yw1jp69z

Here is a cool run of a good game and it has some neat speed strats.

Looks like it was spliced around 10:25, since he switches from Classic movement to Freeroam without entering the menu. Or does the game do that to you automatically when you enter that area?
edit: ok I'm assuming the latter since the same thing happens on a revisit

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 11, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

I love the names speedrunners come up with for things.

PJ describes "The Everything Fish"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDcQr3BtDWc&hd=1

edit: posted immediately after, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ49jqrzWYI&hd=1

Looks like the null sprite attaches to the next sprite that animates passively, and then the animation offset overflows with certain sprites(or the animation for the barrier bot is special).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.speedrun.com/bl1/run/z13e22gm

So uhh

10 minutes and 30 seconds in, just skip to that point and watch for about 30 seconds.

Can't wait to see this in a future gdq lmao

I think you meant 10 minutes flat? That's a little bit before he explains what the gently caress.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hyphen-ated posted:

somebody beat my Pipe any% record 3 months ago, and today I took it back. then I got this great run like an hour later: https://www.speedrun.com/pipe/run/y8q7gq1y

the physics in this game are too satisfying

Where is this game from? It's impossible to google.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

flatluigi posted:

yeah, make a 'no major glitches' category and put all the big ridiculous stuff that lets you circumvent most of the game in it, then let the regular run be the game mostly as intended with small tricks and strats allowed

I think that's backwards.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Wouldn't it be more reasonable to have a 99% category that leaves out the stupid two-week item? Or is there stuff locked behind it?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
How about a category without item evolutions included at all? No waiting = good.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

fishmech posted:

There's already an any% and it's 13 hours. And the run for just completing Disc 1 of the 2 discs is 5 and a half hours.

Oh, New Game is any%?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI62Gf7bc3c
Terraria: Expert Mode all bosses in 1h24m, UNSEEDED.
This is impressive, and possibly a little sad considering how many runs this must've taken to pull off.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah it's good now. Just don't play Expert, it's not really balanced for single player unless you're so good you can dodge literally everything and are well versed in constructing arenas for fighting bosses.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I usually just hide the chat whenever I watch Twitch streams, so I don't mind that it's heavily moderated. Is the moderation working though? Is the GDQ chat clean enough to be worth watching nowadays?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Understandable mistake, they're both names for round things.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Last I checked there was no WR for Circa Infinity, so if anyone wants to route that out go ahead. I found a few skips in it, mostly by squeezing into near-pixel-perfect gaps between enemies. Ok nevermind there's speedruns on youtube now.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 12, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wasn't there a big fuss a while ago about an attempt to monetize speedrunning?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Roflex posted:

PB/WRed by over 3 hours now to go speedrun sleeping for 15 hours.

So how does FFT autobattle work out? How do you get a good run?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zereth posted:

I think the most recent Super Metroid TAS involves clipping out past a room transition to travel through junk data to find something that'll let you trigger the ending. While you can't see what you're doing.

How did they even find it blindly?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I recently realized the first Wizardry is an NES game and that means TMR must have beaten it. Did he do it without a guide or any hints at all? If so that's fairly impressive. Did he draw maps? You kindof have to for some floors... I could watch his videos for it but I want to beat it myself (though, I'm going to play the super famicom version).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ullerrm posted:

He took some hints for Wizardry, I think, and it still took him over ten hours. (TMR got rid of the "no guides/hints" rule around two years into the series, although he still kept it very limited.)

Wizardry was actually one of his faster RPG completions. Ultima 4 took him 30 hours, DW2-4 were around 40 hours each, and Might & Magic was 85 hours.

Might and Magic for NES was such bullshit. Walk out of town, get attacked by locusts, get party wiped by them because they do 255 damage and go faster than you, plus every time one of your characters dies you lose your turn.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Does God of War 2 have a significant amount of nudity? Also yeah, lol america having a huge double standard when it comes to violence vs sex.

axeil posted:

-The video argues that being professional is negative and says he feels like all the runs are the same because of it.

An exact quote on this issue is "If gone too far, this could lead to runs feeling identical and ultimately boring with little variety and interest". It's clear that he thinks it's not at that point yet.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm willing to side on the official German ruling which says that the Vaulknut symbol is not generally objectionable. It's apparently been used for a whole bunch of different things.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Double Punctuation posted:

Well, time for Rockstar to C&D every modmaker but the one actually making the hack.

It's already been patched out apparently.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

iPodschun posted:

Best of NES marathon started today on https://www.twitch.tv/bestofnes and goes through the weekend.

Schedule https://horaro.org/bones2018/schedule

I tuned in during FF3J. This run is fuckin dumb, I love it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Violently Car posted:

I'm thinking something as serious as this deserved more than six hours of investigation.

Well I mean what can they investigate? Like it was said, this is extremely easy to fake. If there is no indication otherwise that grav is like this, then there's no way they're gonna kick him out because of it.

It would mean anyone can fake some discord snaps and frame someone to get them kicked out.

edit:

CJacobs posted:

Someone poke KevinDDR to come forward because he is the least offensive person featured in those screenshots imo.

Oh I guess they could try to get a second witness, sure.

edit2:

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not the specific case that makes me furious, it's the way GDQ has established their policy.

"While it is not our policy to ban people from our events for differing opinions[...]".

gently caress OFF. Transphobia and antisemitism aren't opinions, they're hate speech and declarations of violent intent. What a disgusting display of cowardice for GDQ to declare that even if they DID find the allegations credible, they still wouldn't do ANYTHING! They'd give bigots a platform 100% of the time.

Uhhh, grav didn't say anything with violent intent in those snaps anyway. The fact that they investigated at all says that they might have done something, as well.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 28, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Transphobia is, in and of itself a declaration of violent intent, especially when framed sexually. Look up the "trans panic defense" sometime.

As for GDQ's follow-up tweet: I'll believe they have criteria for expulsion based on this kind of despicable behavior as soon as they ever act on it. But every time I've run into this issue with speedrunning or GDQ, GDQ has sided implicitly, if not explicitly, with the shithead, regardless of the weight of evidence.

No, it CAN drive people to violence. Like, there are a lot of racists. Not all of them are violent. Same thing with transphobia and homophobia.
Have you heard the term "casual racism"? Someone using a slur doesn't mean they wanna beat people up.

Johnny Joestar posted:

ah, i see you're not part of a demographic that has to fear for their life

I'm well aware that hate crimes exist, thanks.

On the other hand it's kindof pointless to argue this anyway, it's basically semantics.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Wait, has GDQ not banned RWhiteGoose yet?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

He hasn't been to one in like 4 years.

But is he banned, or just hasn't gone? Or are they just not accepting submissions from him without publicly saying he's banned?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Gravitron hasn't said anything has he? I mean, in response to the screencaps.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yikes. Even worse than I thought he might've been.

Sometimes I feel like I give people the benefit of the doubt too much.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

eke out posted:

it feels like this guy isn't very good at doing edits. or maybe there's just too much wildly racist bullshit

He's probably manually going through his post history as fast as he can.
Too bad he didn't have time to practice speedrunning that.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

like, we're probably due some ragging on gdq at this point because realistically they could have actually waited a bit longer and taken some time to sort this out instead of speedrunning how quickly they can put their foot in their mouth and pull out the 'differing opinions' line in regards to vile poo poo. if the situation gets handled in a satisfactory way no one is going to be saying 'wow it really sucks that gdq took 9 hours instead of 6 to make a statement on this'

Yeah they hosed up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

this whole mess could have been avoided if they didn't try to answer the problem as soon as humanly possible but then they wouldn't be a speedrun organization wouldn't they

i know basically those exact words have already been said but i am astounded that they just shrugged and went "idk" and within the next hour tons of other people shoved more evidence in their hands they couldn't be bothered to find in the first place

Teddybear posted:

The moral of the story is that you don't need to go for world record in everything you do, and you can in fact go back for some safety strats, especially when you're on such a prominent stage.

They failed the skip and lost 3 hours.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

It's cause it started as a dumb slap fight between a pedo and a nazi, and got retweetes from there

Yeah it wasn't done properly at the start because it was just poo poo-slinging.

The extra drama could have been prevented if someone had realized discord screenshots are worthless and dug up the forum posts immediately... but that's hindsight.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
These are some incredibly dumb things he's saying. Why would he believe he'd get in legal trouble for banning people from GDQ for even bad reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If Hitler is the best player in the world at Hamtaro then we need to accept it. We don't have to like it, but we shouldn't hide that fact.