Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Due to life stuff, I kinda fell off of following speedrunning since sgdq 2017. Anything super incredible or world-shattering happen in the speedrunning community between then and now?

edit: I'm gonna shill for a team of four notorious(ly wonderful) speedrunners, Team Poor Life Choices, formed up of Klaige, Murphagator, Mecharichter, and PJ Dicesare. They're a buncha goofy goobers, and speedrun and break all sorts of games. Any GDQ run by PJ is a must-watch. Or any run he does on his own, especially with an audience, really. Like his Drakkhen run where he further breaks a broken game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg_RM2R8BHE&hd=1

or his Robotrek run at RPG Limit Break 2016, which is a joy to see and has some amazing good/bad luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdjjrMa3VvU&hd=1

I will also take every opportunity to advertise their Duck Game and Ultimate Chicken Horse sessions, they're incredibly fun to see, just the goofballs being goofballs in goofy-rear end games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfZTeszrzpY&hd=1

There's something like 100 hours of Duck Game/UCH archives, and they're all worth it. They even incorporate some speedrun tech into Duck Game(mostly zipping to get into each other's lobby rooms to kill each other before the game even starts).
Duck Game playlist
Ultimate Chicken Horse playlist

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Studio posted:

Really excited for the indie everyone's been waiting for to release. That's right, Iconoclasts is out this week, more important than other Indies.
Unlike Bleed, this is an indie pixel platformer I can really get behind, had it on my wishlist for what seems like forever! Just like NoituLove2 Devolution! Has anyone played that at a GDQ yet, btw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah the free shipping thing is nuts and lets me grab all sorts of stuff without worrying about dropping an extra tenner on shipping some hamster bedding or something

literally everything else is bonuses.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would just make all GDQs be events for Doctors Without Borders because they always need more funding

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:emptyquote:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love the names speedrunners come up with for things.

PJ describes "The Everything Fish"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDcQr3BtDWc&hd=1

edit: posted immediately after, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ49jqrzWYI&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 21, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh dang, Axiom Verge? Has anyone done that at a GDQ yet? It's quite a good game, and a speedrun of it should be good fun. Though it'll probably skip the more visually impressive scenes I'm guessing.

Other than that, definitely looking forward to Iconoclasts, another DOOM 2016 run(hopefully with less chokes this time), Metroid block, Halo 2, Getting Over It, I Am Bread, the Megaman block and TASBOT. Enter the Gungeon might be fun to see someone blitz through, even if I greatly dislike that game.

And, as always, PJ and Mecharichter on BT&DD should be a joy to see. Though with the stuff PJ's been streaming lately it'd be amusing to see a speedrun of that new Kirby game or something.

Not sure if Undertale will have the same impact it did the first time, but maybe some new tech will liven things up a bit more than last time. It'll be a hard one to top, for sure. That and FF6 are the "maybe" runs for me, have they done a glitchless FF6 run at a GDQ yet? I feel like the only ones they've done are stuff like Sketch Glitch runs since it's such a lengthy game in general.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe they put them there to attract people to those lesser time slots. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What's the one where a dude was like 72 hours into some no-save final fantasy perfect 100% run and then got completely owned by a herd of malboros that just rolled perfect rng and wiped his party

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I did not realize this was a thing until it showed up in my related videos.

Have Randomizers gone too far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbhCRj4irlk&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hanales posted:

It’s pretty fun. The SM side is way harder because it expects you to know a lot more tech. Although I believe they have a casual mode now that guarantees morph.
They were too busy wondering if they could, to think about if they should.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

UberJew posted:

Is that modded or has Terraria had a fuckload of QOL improvements since I last played?
When did you last play? Hardmode and subsequent additions have been in for years now, and every patch has added all sorts of QOL additions as well as like two dozen more bosses.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A full playthrough for me takes about 40 to 60 hours, you should give it a good run all the way through since it's got a real final boss now and everything

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boogalo posted:

Battle toads and double dragon is out because Mecha can't make it due to family stuff. PJ playing BCR2 is in instead with the hype mode incentive.

I wish there could be a donation incentive to have PJ speedrun either Robotrek or Drakkhen at a GDQ. It's a bummer he always does Bionic Commando, though I'm sure that's what he's most comfortable with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
congratulations to lowtax for a whole lot of money donated to his spine fund from obscure, weird memes

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

A lot of things happened in that thread. Most of which should probably be left to history (but probably wont)

SGDQ was a blast though.
when's the next duck game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
no gently caress you you need to be as good as people who literally take classes to be good at improv

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gmq posted:

I caught the tail end of this SGDQ (first time I watch anything related to speedrunning) and it was so fun. I'm surprised all the runs I watched were so positive.
Are you perhaps requesting more really fun GDQ runs to watch, because there's a whole bunch!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Team plc duck game and ultimate chicken horse are two of my favorite things ever and I hope they do another session soon

The way they break duck game is magical. PJ making a box burst into flames for absolutely no reason is one of the best moments in 45+ hours of archives

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Team plc watch anime, so that already puts them a step above studio

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
speaking of team plc, they just uploaded a highlight montage of their old Worms VODs, some of which no longer exist. Very pro click, I do wish they'd give it another go sometime, they're both good at worms, and "good" at worms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilm7mROj7G4&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh my god I thought PJ's bionic commando rearmed 2 run would just be similar to the one he ran years ago but then he found elevatorless hype mode and the look of shock on his face was worth it all

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well yes we all knew hype mode would be there, but who knew he would discover the ability to do it without an elevator???

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

timp posted:

Yeah IIRC most games don't capture footage and reshow it for a replay as that would take a ton of memory. They just simulate the exact motions again and gently caress with the camera or whatever. If the motions were too hosed up to recreate, shenanigans ensue

tbf I haven't watched the vid yet but that's my thing to say about video game instant replays
do you have any TASes to recommend where they take full advantage of that system

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

axeil posted:

imo the only glitch that should be banned for standard rando that isn't is hovering and that's because hovering is a glitch that really does break the game wide open. It's not banned in NMG because it doesn't let you skip items but it can let you skip a good amount of stuff in Rando.

edit: this is also because I can't hover and am jealous of those who can
sounds like a severe case of needing to

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love that line of reasoning, multiple coworkers have brought up the "bussing in 3 million illegals to vote" thing and I just say "you can fit like 100 people at most in a bus, that'd be 10,000 buses, where did they get all those buses? That's two and a half times the number of buses in all of new york, who has the largest fleet of buses in the world. Why aren't there pictures of these bus megafleets?" and they never have an answer for it because it's a ridiculous theory to begin with

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
please don't sully the good name of brainspiders, trumpists are known to have the brainworms.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I refuse

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. I finally finished the ff6 run from sgdq. That was so, so good. Had to break it up over multiple sessions but what a great run, full of great comedy, great rng, great commentary, and great SINGING and DANCING!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm pretty sure ff6 is the snes rpg equivalent of skyrim in terms of just being so goddamn huge with so much to do. Not in terms of story, graphics or bugginess since it's way better than skyrim in all those aspects

Also, top 5 game soundtracks and easy best final boss theme ever

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Violently Car posted:

dancing mad is overrated

Your mom's overrated

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clitch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUcR-In62Ls

Just watch the thing. Crazy seed, and a really competitive race.
I was not prepared for how good this race was, like I expected it to be good because Andy is an ever-entertaining runner but that was probably in the top 3 runs of LTTP randomizer I've seen

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TeaJay posted:

After a lot of hype I watched the LttP randomizer run last time they ran it at AGDQ 2018 and it was honestly kinda underwhelming. Rando fans gush about that stuff constantly but for me personally I didn't really see what the big deal was.

Watch the one clitch posted on this page

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SeXReX posted:

Controversial opinion

Rando isn't as good as some people say it is
oh no!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
from the top 8 of the LTTP Randomizer tournament going on, this one is extremely good and hilarious/stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RaPBfG5VCY&hd=1
*in M. Night Shyamalan voice* What a TWEEST!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The grand finals for the LTTP Randomizer Spring Tournament that finally finished a couple days ago(after well over a thousand matches between hundreds of entrants over many months) was absolutely fantastic. The second match in particular was just incredible. Linked so that nobody gets spoiled on who's in the grand finals, commentated by two of my favorite commentators Alucard2004 and WillardJBradley. Just absolutely fantastic to watch and the excitement by the commentators combined with the showmanship of the players made for a very fun run. I've saved a few other runs that were very good for those who would just like to see some good quality LTTPR runs if folks would like.

As always, best watched at either 1.25 or 1.5 speed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I didn't realize there was more to Rando than just the typical LTTP one, there's apparently one with Twitch donation integration that allows you to gently caress with the players using donations(?), so donate and you can change their character sprite, add/subtract bombs/rupees/arrows, invert their controls, add ice physics on the spot, apparently even kill them instantly. So for example in this one there's Andy and Patty, and Patty gets slapped with inverted controls and ice physics in the middle of Thieve's Town. Or goes to lay a bomb in the Escape Sewers to get to 3 chests but right before they do someone removes all 10 of their bombs. It's great shenanigans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUtTRFM-ns&hd=1

edit: andy having his controls inverted right as he goes to run away from where a Wallmaster is landing, and running right into its loving embrace instead had me howling

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 13, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How much do the various abilities cost? I'm assuming outright killing them is the most expensive.

Also it's hilarious how it always seems to wind up with everyone rooting against Andy in randomizer in every single instance. He's been killed by crowdfunding at least a dozen times, his flute never stayed activated more than ten seconds after he activated it, and his bombs were perpetually at 0 for the first hour minimum. Meanwhile patty has made it two hours in basically unmolested. Probably because Andy is basically the best Rando speedrunner, but still.

Edit: ARISE CHICKEN

Edit: HAHAHAHAHA THAT SEED WAS MONSTROUS, GODDAMN

Andy just being murdered half a dozen times in the span of two minutes in an attempt to slow his inexorable progress and his attempts to replenish his arrows being immediately met by multiple complete empties of his inventory, perfect

Really just a super fun concept, being able to gently caress with the runners. Though demonizing Andy the whole time and then trying to get the chat to not do so for the finale of course backfired spectacularly :v:

A sidenote, I would love to subscribe to Speedgaming, but they upload like 200 videos a day and it completely floods my subscriptions. Is there a way to filter only specific things, like the Four Jobs Fiesta stuff, Megaman 2 races, etc without muting all of Speedgaming's channel from my subs?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 13, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, same video. The two players are extremely good at the game so it makes loving with them even more entertaining because they do somehow manage to pull through despite the constant theft of their items, downgrading of their equipment, outright murdering them, etc

The character sprite change war between having Andy as his trademark Pug sprite and a blue chicken lasts throughout the entire run and is great.

I love the attempts to fight back against the chat. Filling bottles with fairies to counteract the instant kill command, the chat then filling all their empty bottles with bees so they can't catch any fairies.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:golfclap: