Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What sort of climate change stuff is he doing because surely it's going to gently caress Mexico badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agean90 posted:

military org thats less infested with right wingers is my guess.

probably this and probably also because at some point the cartel are going to come calling if past Mexican history is any indication.

Also because afaik there are still open conflict zones in Mexico where cartels just shoot it out with government military because they're basically a nation unto their own at this point. Also a lot of soldiers defect to the cartels lol plata o plomo!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/10/mexico-drug-cartels-soldiers-military

quote:

Delfino was handpicked twice. At 18, he was chosen by the Mexican army to join its elite unit, the airborne special forces group known by its Spanish acronym, Gafe, where he specialized as a sniper.

Ten years later, he was recruited again – this time by the very people he’d been trained to kill. Nowadays, the only outward sign of his military background is the camouflaged hat on his head, and the Panther .308 sniper rifle slung across his back.

Delfino belongs to what remains of a cult-like drug cartel called Los Caballeros Templarios, or the Knights Templar, whose original leaders and claimed a mandate from God.

Once a dominant force in the rugged western state of Michoacán, the group is now locked in a bitter war for survival with rival crime factions.

But Delfino describes himself as an instrument of divine justice.

“God has his will,” he said. “But he still needs people to do his work here on Earth.”

Fallout: Mexico lookin' good

e:

quote:

These paramilitaries have sprung out of deregulation of the Mexican army, which has been slowly replaced by private security firms.[166] Paramilitaries, including the Zetas, have now entered uncharted territories. Branching out of just protecting drug cartels, paramilitary groups have entered many other financially profitable industries, such as oil, gas, kidnapping, and counterfeiting electronics. There has been a complete and total loss of control by the government and the only response has been to increase army presence, notably an army whose officials are often on the drug cartels payroll.

lmfao

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Jan 7, 2019

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Worth noting that the mercenary founders of the group that would become the Zetas were trained by US and Israeli forces and the "School of the Americas."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frijolero posted:

Worth noting that the mercenary founders of the group that would become the Zetas were trained by US and Israeli forces and the "School of the Americas."

weird how the groups with all the money keep getting the military to defect to them :thunk:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Frijolero posted:

and those were just the latin american terrorists who didnt get the deluxe package where you get iranian blood money

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Didn't the Zetas start out as bodyguards for a cartel boss and basically just took over the shop?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they were the muscle for the gulf cartel but broke off the zetas as their own brand. a lot of the most bloody inter-cartel fighting was between the zetas and the gulf cartel

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Zetas now are not the same as the special forces trained military, but yeah that's how they started.

The current Zetas leadership are lower-class dudes from Nuevo Laredo who climbed the ranks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Wasn't it the Zeta's who massively escalated the level of violence against the general public?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
There's a fantastic movie called "El Infierno" that came out around the time everything went to hell which is great at touching on the public perception of narco culture once paramilitary forces started getting involved. Everything is comical and lighthearted where criminals are just benevolent scamps and Robin Hood-type figures, then these groups come in and everything gets very real very fast.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jose posted:

Wasn't it the Zeta's who massively escalated the level of violence against the general public?

they were definitely the face of it

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can just speak anecdotally, but yeah The Zetas really ramped up the violence.

Some of my uncles trafficked drugs in the 90s and they operated pretty much independently. By the late 90s most drug profit was monopolized. The various gangs on the border were either crushed or integrated.

The reason the Zetas were so violent and gruesome is that they operated like a giant monopoly. They could crush any small group or police force who stood in their way. They notably killed several police chiefs, army generals, and musicians with no repercussions.

With the rise of the Zetas also came a lot of minor imposters who would steal and kidnap using their name. This usually resulted in swift dismemberment by the actual Zetas.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maleh-Vor posted:

There's a fantastic movie called "El Infierno" that came out around the time everything went to hell which is great at touching on the public perception of narco culture once paramilitary forces started getting involved. Everything is comical and lighthearted where criminals are just benevolent scamps and Robin Hood-type figures, then these groups come in and everything gets very real very fast.

It really does feel like that though.

There has always been some level of violence. From the days of tequileros to the family narcos of the 50s–70s. But it became a big meat grinder when it became more capitalist and efficient.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwOlsbG-_Xo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYp9Qv2NVsM

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:35 on Jan 7, 2019

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I should point out that the most heinous parts of the drug war were basically 2008-2013 or so, at least in public perception and how much the media covered it. It definitely feels a lot better than what those videos are nowadays. Except in Tamaulipas, which is a perpetual warzone (and at least one of those videos is in Tamaulipas).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm not googling it to find out because i checked out blog del narco once and regretted it but does it still exist or did they get whoever was running it?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I would say 2008 was high point for violence. But the violence doesn't stop. 2018 was pretty bad overall. Cancun has seen surprising levels of violence.

The moral of the story is: stop doing cocaine/meth/heroin you loving degenerate Yankee pigdogs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm british so it doesn't go through mexico nbd

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maleh-Vor posted:

I should point out that the most heinous parts of the drug war were basically 2008-2013 or so, at least in public perception and how much the media covered it. It definitely feels a lot better than what those videos are nowadays. Except in Tamaulipas, which is a perpetual warzone (and at least one of those videos is in Tamaulipas).

Frijolero posted:

Yeah I would say 2008 was high point for violence. But the violence doesn't stop. 2018 was pretty bad overall. Cancun has seen surprising levels of violence.

The moral of the story is: stop doing cocaine/meth/heroin you loving degenerate Yankee pigdogs.

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2018/01/25/580239712/mexico-registers-its-highest-homicides-on-record

quote:

More than a decade after Mexican soldiers deployed in the streets and mountains to fight a U.S.-backed drug war, Mexico has something to show for it: more killings than ever.

Mexico recorded 29,168 homicides last year, according to preliminary government data published this week. While the tally won't be finalized for several months, security experts are already certain the 2017 figure will mark the country's highest murder rate at least since official statistics began in 1997 — and potentially the highest in the nation's modern history.

still though

the US' war on drugs has hosed mexico right up

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Maleh-Vor posted:

I'm from Tamaulipas and yeah poo poo is still hosed for the most part, we drove down to San Miguel de Allende for a wedding last year and my mom was terrified of driving through Tamualipas so we just went through Nuevo Leon instead.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm from Tamaulipas and yeah poo poo is still hosed for the most part, we drove down to San Miguel de Allende for a wedding last year and my mom was terrified of driving through Tamualipas so we just went through Nuevo Leon instead.

I've never been in tamaulipas but I've been everywhere around it. The sketchiest part of the country I've seen was in northern Veracruz in Ciudad valles I think. I stayed with a deliveryman and he showed me El Komander for the first time. I asked my friend from monclova about him and he disgustedly said he was zeta trash. I thought my friend was anti cartel but then he recommended I listen to el sinaloense for actual good cartel music

Not gonna lie I like this Norteno stuff more than cumbia

57 is an amazing highway though, the drive from eagle pass to san miguel de allende is a breeze, if not lengthy.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.potnetwork.com/news/mexico-could-legalize-cannabis-within-weeks

uh guys is this article right? Is Mexico weeks away from statutory weed legalization? Besides the Financial Times article I can't find any English sources covering this and it seems big, what's going on.

I know you guys can home grow now so idk how much it woudl really change but the world needs more countries and governments that are openly pro cannabis legalization, this judicial decriminalization trend is some weak poo poo, the drug warriors are just hand-waving it away.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

legalization was part of morena's platform wasnt it?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

Squalid posted:

https://www.potnetwork.com/news/mexico-could-legalize-cannabis-within-weeks

uh guys is this article right? Is Mexico weeks away from statutory weed legalization? Besides the Financial Times article I can't find any English sources covering this and it seems big, what's going on.

I know you guys can home grow now so idk how much it woudl really change but the world needs more countries and governments that are openly pro cannabis legalization, this judicial decriminalization trend is some weak poo poo, the drug warriors are just hand-waving it away.

morena had a fairly generous and extensive legalization law proposal in the works (it fully legalizes distribution and production, only restrictions are on edibles and selling to minors). and they have a overwhelming majority in congress. so hopefully yeah

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gotta love this brain genious quote from that article:

quote:

Meanwhile, Alejandro Hope, a security expert, told the Financial Times he’s skeptical. “This is not a security issue. This is an issue about public freedoms. If you frame this as a magic wand to reduce violence, we are in for a major disappointment,” he said. “Go for it . . . but it will not bring peace.”

“Seizures in Mexico have collapsed and seizures on the US border have declined by two-thirds,” he said. After all, if so many in the United States are already getting their cannabis legally, where’s the demand for cartels to continue importing it in numbers anywhere near what they once were

"'legalization will not improve the security situation, because it has already been improved by legalization"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

well Morena's interior minister who has apparently already submitted a bill for legal regulation, Olga Sanchez Cordero, was saying she was going to do this months ago. In October the Supreme Court basically legalized recreational use, but recreational sales are still off the table. The Supreme Court ruling put Mexico in a weird group of countries including South Africa and Georgia where courts have acted to decriminalize personal use. If people are growing for themselves legally though you might as well let the local dealer leave the plaza and open a store like a normal business.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

babypolis posted:

gotta love this brain genious quote from that article:

"'legalization will not improve the security situation, because it has already been improved by legalization"

Yeah, the Cato institute (libertarian think tank, but at least relatively ideologically consistent) put out a report recently about how legalization has effected the drug war:

https://www.civilized.life/articles/walls-wont-secure-the-us-mexico-border-but-cannabis-legalization-will-says-think-tank/

quote:

"State marijuana legalization starting in 2014 did more to reduce marijuana smuggling than the doubling of Border Patrol agents or the construction of hundreds of miles of border fencing did from 2003 to 2009," the report reads.

Between 2014—when Colorado became the first state to legalize recreational cannabis sales and consumption for adults—and 2018, seizures of cannabis by US Border Patrol has dropped by a massive 78 percent. During this period the average amount of marijuana seized per agent fell from 114 pounds to just 25.

quote:

The Cato report noted that since illicit cannabis sales began falling after legalization, "other drugs have not entirely substituted for this decline in marijuana. The street value of all drugs seized by the average agent between ports of entry also fell by 70 percent from [fiscal year] 2013 to [fiscal year] 2018."

Legalization of cannabis also hits traffickers where it hurts—their wallet. As cannabis becomes easier to obtain legally in the US, the black market shrinks due to lack of demand, and as a result, the profitability of illicit weed drops. That's not to mention that the Department of Homeland Security concluded in a 2016 report that the department couldn't guarantee that "$4.2 billion it spends annually on drug controlling activities" helped them achieve their set goals.

"Mexican growers have reported that marijuana prices in Mexico have recently fallen between 50 and 70 percent after US legalizations."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can confirm the mexican weed market is way better. bricked schwag may as well not exist anymore; most people smoke mids or handmade hash from oaxaca. bougie fucks in monterrey use thc vape pens smuggled across the border, ironically

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is hilarious

https://twitter.com/Nacion321/status/1082461756776243206?s=19

A lot of people are mad at AMLO because he won't denounce Venezuela or ask Maduro not to take the oath of office. AMLO responded by having the reporters read the constitution's article on nonintervention. Dude loving rocks.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Frijolero posted:

This is hilarious

A lot of people are mad at AMLO because he won't denounce Venezuela or ask Maduro not to take the oath of office. AMLO responded by having the reporters read the constitution's article on nonintervention. Dude loving rocks.

lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frijolero posted:

This is hilarious

an honorary poster if ever there was one

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frijolero posted:

loving hell this dude rips

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Squalid posted:

Yeah, the Cato institute (libertarian think tank, but at least relatively ideologically consistent) put out a report recently about how legalization has effected the drug war:

https://www.civilized.life/articles/walls-wont-secure-the-us-mexico-border-but-cannabis-legalization-will-says-think-tank/

Cutting down a major revenue source for extremely violent gangs always seemed like a really good argument for legalisation of every drug but apparently we're too puritan for that yet and so poor across the globe have to suffer.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Doing my part op

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/keegan_hamilton/status/1082674533134487552

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

lmao

THS
Sep 15, 2017

hahahaha

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why in hell are there gasoline shortages??

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

i say swears online posted:

AFAIK, lots of gas is being stolen from pipelines, so they shut down pipelines and are moving gas by trucks instead while they figure out where these thefts are happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

i say swears online posted:

So they're not actually shortages and we should've brought this up earlier.

Perhaps one of AMLOs biggest planks was stopping the petroleum blackmarket. Several officials have been arrested on several levels of government. AMLOs admin has already found about 80% of the petroleum robbery that was taking place.

This investigation is causing fuel service stoppages in a handful of states.

That's my understanding at least. But it's not an actual nation-wide shortage.