Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Shei-kun posted:

This.

My what the gently caress was to the sheer dedication that had to go into arranging them like that. I'd get bored with it in minutes. That had to take hours!

Also I was in complete awe of the artistry shown. Bravo, skoolmunkee. Bravo.

And she never gave an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
We've often stated that Skool's playstyle is magical. We didn't specify the origins of the magic I'm sorry.

Dareon posted:

So now that you've mentioned Alpha Protocol, that's a game that could benefit from this kind of treatment, too. Because I've had at least four extremely different games of that.

Alpha Protocol is on the list of games I want to co-ordinate a "this is what happens when you play like this, and this is what happens when your entire life is a burning trashcan" series for.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat, that's some ritzy garden decorations in the past there. Fragile as spun sugar, cuts like a diamond saw.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Is everything okay? It's been awhile since there was any activity in this thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It’ll be fine! There were problems! They are resolved now!

I am gonna do the last few episodes of audio editing tomorrow, then I will be setting everything up to power to the finish.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ten-hut!

So here's the deal.

In late December, I got a sinus infection. It was pretty hard core and kept me from doing too much. Two weeks later, it was still active. I spoke to my doctor and was given an antibiotic.

It turns out my body really, really did not like this antibiotic. It made me incredibly nauseous and I was vomiting for a few days. Finally the entire thing was too much, and I went to the hospital. There, they discovered I was also infected with influenza. Two active infections and vomiting from a medication reaction was simply too much for my body to handle, and I went into diabetic keto-acidosis. For those of you who aren't familiar, that is some incredibly bad poo poo that could have easily killed me if I hadn't headed into the hospital.

Fortunately we caught it early enough that I was still fairly functional and I was released from the hospital fairly quickly. But still, this was a Reaper's Fingerprints situation and, bluntly, it threw me into a form of shock where I sort of stumbled forward from day to day, barely aware of what was going on. Even after being released from the hospital, I was still extremely sick and had two active infections.

This is all why this thread's gone into torpor for so long. I've known for a while what we need is to just set up everything and get things done, but I simply was not able to muster the energy and focus to set everything up from being so deathly ill.

Well, that's changed now. Huge thanks to Roboky for stepping up to the plate to get most of the remaining sound work done.

As I speak, I have uploaded the entirety of all 4 LPs to Youtube. The LP is content complete and is on Youtube. So as not to fire-hose everyone, I've set up an update schedule.

Starting tomorrow, 02/14/19, we will have a Monday-Wednesday-Friday update schedule, bringing you 3 episodes a week until the LP is fully released. They are set up to auto-release on Youtube at noon CST. I obviously will be popping in to update the thread, but depending on what my days look like it might not be right away. Please feel free to post links to the new videos if you get there before me! I will make proper update posts and update the OP as I'm able.

Thank you all for hanging with us through all this! This entire thing has had a lot more twists and turns than I had ever anticipated, but I ALWAYS finish a project!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So I knew the LP Curse was known to cause issues that could kill an LP but I never thought it would try to straight up kill a dude.

I'm super happy you're okay now!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Holy poo poo, glad to see you aren't dead after all that!

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Um... Yeah... Feel free to take as long as you need, Coolguye. Near death experiences aren't fun.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Shei-kun posted:

So I knew the LP Curse was known to cause issues that could kill an LP but I never thought it would try to straight up kill a dude.

It's not even the first time, nine-gear crow straight up went into a coma for two months during Ace Combat Zero for pretty much the exact same reasons.

Still, yeesh.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

This isn't even the first time Coolguye's gotten so sick he almost died. Though it is a first for our LPing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

This isn't even the first time Coolguye's gotten so sick he almost died. Though it is a first for our LPing.
Yeah, this is true. This isn't my first brush with DKA, but the first time was before Roboky and I started working together, so it was a long-rear end time ago. I generally do a much better job of taking care of myself nowadays than I did back then because, you know, they actually classified my disease correctly after the first brush with it.

It was really just an insane amount of bad luck. The staff looked at my blood sugar levels over the last 3 months and basically said "Well, it's clear you take your poo poo seriously, because your A1C is not bad. You just got beaten the hell up over the course of about 6 weeks, dude. We don't think there was anything more you could have done to stay out of here."

All of this is a net benefit to me, of course, because it means that I showed up to the hospital very sick, but ready to be healed, as opposed to a complete loving mess with multiple chronic problems that complicated the real issue. I needed antibiotics that didn't nauseate me and an IV drip to get fluids back in my body; that was pretty much it.

I appreciate all the concern about me taking the time I need, but ultimately I did that already. The weird haze I was in after I got out of the hospital needed some time to lift and I needed an extra few weeks for my tamiflu and my newer antibiotics to purge my system of the poo poo that put me in such a bad spot to begin with. I'm now basically past all of that - I still have a little lingering cough from the lung damage I sustained from 6 weeks of intense hacking, but that is to be expected and will heal up very nicely once the weather gets a little warmer and I'm able to run my dog around like I'm accustomed to.

But enough of that - it's finally update time again!

Crack in the Slab: Youtube Polsy

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Coolguye posted:

I still have a little lingering cough from the lung damage I sustained from 6 weeks of intense hacking,

High five, lingering respiratory damage buddy. I spent five hours with a piece of chicken lodged in my esophagus (Two of those were at the hospital), coughing up the saliva that kept pooling atop it threatening my airway and occasionally triggering my vomit reflex. Had a very worrying cough for weeks afterward, now it's down to acceptable levels with the minor issue of coughing up an ounce of phlegm every morning. You obviously know how to care for yourself, any advice I give would be redundant or actively harmful.

e: Regarding the graceful flips of animal death, one thing that Alan Wake does well is ragdolls, because whenever an enemy dies, it treats the enemy as if it was hit by a bowling ball instead of a dinky revolver bullet. And the dogs in this game must have lower mass than the guards, so your physics pushes will have a consummately greater effect on them.

e2: Also when you mentioned Shadowhand, I was like "Agh, am I about to get spoiled for the RPG solitaire game I haven't finished yet?" But no, you meant the Dark Brotherhood, and yes, that questline is badass. And I kept my dead drop notes, so when the reveal popped, I went back and was like "Oh, yeah, the tone is entirely different. Also the loving font, how the gently caress did I miss that?"

Dareon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 13, 2019

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Hey, good stuff wrt. not dying and all!

Personally I haven't been deathly ill since I was about two years old, but some of your videos have come close to make me choke to death laughing.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

:toot: :snoop: Coolguy! :snoop: :toot:

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Thank goodness you're back! I've been waiting patiently!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
IT LIVES AGAIN

also there's surprisingly few things you can do with powers in crack in the slab other than clowing on guards even more than you already can

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

The Iron Rose posted:

IT LIVES AGAIN

also there's surprisingly few things you can do with powers in crack in the slab other than clowing on guards even more than you already can
Do you really need anything else? I mean, clowning on guards is already the best part of the game.

Aside from breaking cutscenes.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Congratulations on surviving the LP curse!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Grand Palace: Youtube Polsy

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
re: not noticing missing fingers, I didn't notice one of the contestants on the Great British Baking Show was missing half of her hand until like the quarter-finals. Hosts didn't call attention to it, she functioned just as well as everyone else, it was like "how am I so blind, but good on them for not waving it in our face."

Don't feel bad skool I got your joke. The CK2 thread would have been a better audience.

The timing (of skool's audio only, maybe?) was off a bit, it was really weird hearing you laugh at coolguye for loving up throws while he was nowhere near an enemy.

There's a book in Death of the Outsider that LAMs the Outsider. In a very "here is my ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL Nipples the Enchilada" way, which was goddamn hilarious.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nah that razz she gave me kind of confused me at the time too!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dareon posted:

Don't feel bad skool I got your joke. The CK2 thread would have been a better audience.
I can thank Huckleberry Finn for getting it. At one point Huck and Jim run in with a pair of con artists who claim they're secret/disowned European nobles. One calls himself the "Dolphin" in fact, claiming to be the still-living Louis XVII. This is an obvious mispronunciation, of the French "Dauphin" (do - fa~ with a nasalization on the second syllable) which neatly enough does translate as Dolphin. But of course most people in the antebellum Mississippi River basin had no way of knowing this.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 16, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
About breaking bottles against peoples heads to knock them out. I've discovered that some NPCs, usually women and men with a thinner build can only take one bottle to the head before being rendered unconscious while others, typically those with larger builds take three to be rendered unconscious. Also I have discovered that you can actually kill some NPCs when you throw ten bottles at them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the :science: is spreading. Resist!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I minght have found out both these things accidentally when I was trying to out crazy Skool. MY plan was to knock out Ramsey, cover him in broken glass by throwing every glass and bottle at him, bury him under a pile of dead bodies, knock his men unconscious, decapitate them, position their bodies on chairs and sofas in the safe room and hide their heads in with the gold and food. I got distracted when I accidentally killed him during phase 2 of this plan.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

David D. Davidson posted:

I minght have found out both these things accidentally when I was trying to out crazy Skool. MY plan was to knock out Ramsey, cover him in broken glass by throwing every glass and bottle at him, bury him under a pile of dead bodies, knock his men unconscious, decapitate them, position their bodies on chairs and sofas in the safe room and hide their heads in with the gold and food. I got distracted when I accidentally killed him during phase 2 of this plan.

When/if we get to Death of the Outsider, I've got some things in that vein to show off.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Grand Palace (1/2): Youtube Polsy

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Regarding art and art direction, I am still salty because two years ago, I was contracted to create a few monsters for a Pathfinder setting, complete with art direction. I had no contact with the artists myself, but I provided detailed descriptions, complete with links to appropriate reference material. One was a plant-based creature, and I described the inflorescence and surrounding petals of a titan arum on a writhing root structure. What I got back looked like a dildo on four legs. Another was a crustacean that combined the claws of a pistol shrimp with the casing of a caddisfly. Here I provided links to albums full of appropriate pictures, such that you could not fail to understand what was requested. I got back a cockroach/centipede that some kids had festooned with fishing line. The middlemen said it was because the artist had english as a second language, but I have a hard time believing that my instructions, complete with web links, could be interpreted so poorly that you fail to understand that the final product should bear some resemblance to the pictures linked. Also I still haven't gotten paid, because the last news I heard was they're holding off publishing until they can get the book converted into three other systems.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/79926/why-sid-meiers-name-is-on-all-his-games Supposedly Robin Williams had a hand in it, but comments say there was some legal kerfuffle over the name Civilization (Which doesn't explain Sid Meier's Pirates!, Gettysburg, Railroads!, or anything else). Meier himself says it was simply for name recognition so fans of his flight sim could find this weird pirate game he was making. Pick your pony.

I can't hear anything about Farcry 2 without thinking of DEADLY AFRICANIZED WATER.

The Howler you took the apartment key from wasn't the actual owner of the place, the owner just gave her the key because she was a nice old lady who takes soup to the sick and lets the nice gang members have a safe place to sleep. Which I thought was a really nice touch, because your main targets and the Heart tell you a lot about how everyone in the Isles is a massive jizzwad who's better off as a component of your modern art piece with a lot of red in the composition. And here's this nice old lady who, very importantly, you have no opportunity to interact with.

123? That's the kinda thing an idiot would have on his luggage. I actually don't think I ever got that safe, because I would have remembered that incredibly stupid silvergraph.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the overwhelmingly likely explanation is that the middleman did not dutifully relay all of your instructions, so whatever legitimate language barrier may have existed was just used as an excuse for good signal never existing. working directly with someone on the other side of a creative pipeline is difficult and frequently disruptive to your work but i've found it's the only way to make sure that your requirements are understood. there do exist people who are great at speaking multiple different professional languages like that, but they are heavily outnumbered by the lazy, slipshod jerks who pretend that they're good at communicating because they've failed at everything else in their lives. of the dozen or so 'organizer' people i've hired like that only one has ever made my life easier, everyone else has at best had no effect.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Coolguye posted:

nah that razz she gave me kind of confused me at the time too!

Probably my video was slightly ahead of theirs. We try to sync the start but stuff happens like YouTube hiccuping and then you just gotta try and get close enough

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Grand Palace (2/2): Youtube Polsy

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh my god I just got something that had bothered me in Death of the Outsider. So you get a side job to steal the Duke's crappy self-portrait, right? And there's a letter next to it talking about how they had it tested for authenticity and the paint samples match other pieces painted by the Duke, but they can't explain why it's so goddamn lovely.

I never loving twigged to the fact that it must be the loving double painting the other ones. Mostly because I never saw him over on the terrace painting the hound or the bowl of fruit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Since low chaos is the canon end to Dis2 I like to think that the double just explains it to everyone by saying he was SUPER drunk when he did the self portrait

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Coolguye posted:

Since low chaos is the canon end to Dis2 I like to think that the double just explains it to everyone by saying he was SUPER drunk when he did the self portrait

Given how the staff reacted when he took over as the "real" Duke I'm pretty drat sure they just smile and nod whenever he has to explain away his past "eccentricities."

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
The thumbnail on part 2 could not sum up that video better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i said something similar when i posted the video announcement to our discord

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Corvo is just comforting a sad maid don't worry about it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Grand Palace: Youtube Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I have no words for what I just witnessed. :golfclap: