Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Emily can pull together a killer roof party.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Felinoid posted:

I have no words for what I just witnessed. :golfclap:

the best part of posts like these after a skool episode is i genuinely have no idea what they're referring to because i know it could be any of a hundred things

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Needs more T-pose.

(But seriously what the gently caress skool)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

How does this count as Low Chaos?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

How does this count as Low Chaos?

We aren't all collapsed on the floor sobbing and begging for the insanity to stop.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

TheLastRoboKy posted:

We aren't all collapsed on the floor sobbing and begging for the insanity to stop.

Yet.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

corgski posted:

Needs more T-pose.

(But seriously what the gently caress skool)

Look Science Emily actually has very little control over the effects of her experiments

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Grand Palace (1/2): Youtube Polsy

(Still processing as of this post.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Red Green Show was actually 1991-2006, so 90s to early 00s. Which doesn't make it any less ridiculous - it's basically backwoods Canadian variety show slapstick. Like Coolguye I grew up watching it with my father (and also my sister), in our case from NJN broadcasting right across the Delaware River. It's saying something that when I told an actual Canadian friend that I'd watched it, he replied with "that says so much about you".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaPo936nu7Q

This is probably the same channel Coolguye was referring to. The rightsholders have put the entire show up for free, and instead continue to make money through merchandising and still-ongoing tours.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's the channel, alright! that show was like a less cringey redneck tour, it was absolutely fantastic.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I took pains to write down cool graffiti I saw when I visited Seattle. Usually it is just people tagging their name, but there were a few cool ones. One that stuck with me was "Say it again. This time break the skin." Another was just "WHY?" scrawled across a road closure notice that still managed to convey a sense of plaintiveness. Plaintivity? And someone had written beat poetry on a row of abandoned houses exhorting the homeless to move into them, it was the coolest sociopolitical statement I've ever seen.

I have never heard pruno referred to as squawky, skool, sorry. Maybe we need one of these for prison wines.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Grand Palace (2/2): Youtube Polsy

(New episode as well in like...an hour, sorry, like I said these are on auto-release and I've been really busy with work the last few days.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Death to the Empress: Youtube Polsy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So Delilah enters the painting, you trap the painting, drag her back out so she can enter it again and ??? Either it should've locked with her inside it the first time, or locked when you entered it after trapping.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ostensibly she thinks the perfect world as it should be or whatever is now the real world and she succeeded. this is very different situation than the daud dlc because faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttt

the only way this chapter feels satisfying is if delilah dies. particularly if you assume that corvo/emily listened to daud's message in meagan's cabin (which can happen on either Chaos level). they know that daud has 'dealt' with her before and it didn't take, then they're going to do some weird switcheroo with a ritual they only superficially understand to maybe hopefully fool her until she dies in some pocket dimension. that, to her, feels like a perfect world where everyone loves her and she's happy forever.

alternately you could shoot the bitch in the face after dealing with her gonzo immortality dealybob, which is something you do have some understanding of since it's been the focal point of your entire time in Karnaca, and be sure she is definitely not coming back.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 1, 2019

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

On one hand the fact you're ostensibly doing the same poo poo as Daud did to get rid of Delilah is a bit crap and I do wish they'd thought of another way to do it in either one so that the finale for Dishonored 2 doesn't feel so retread. On the other hand going "No the plan was excellent everyone else is wrong I'm going to just try it bigger" is a very Delilah thing to do.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Poor Coolguye, undone by the fact that Dishonored humans are made of tinder soaked in gasoline.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That not-quite-dead overseer has a different line if you're running Flesh & Steel, but somewhere Emily remarks that the Abbey would still consider her a heretic even after turning down the Outsider's gift. Because you are still consorting with him and using bonecharms and poo poo.

For my first playthrough, I dealt with Delilah the same way you did, only slightly more elegantly (after getting stabbed in the face three times because I failed to get the gimmick to this fight). Plant the mine, shoot the clone on the throne, suddenly I am surrounded by twitching witches.

The theme of trapping Delilah in her painting is... I want to say it's different enough between the two instances, but that's because I'm coming at it from a very mystical angle. The plot Daud foiled was to plant herself in Emily, using the painting as the focus for a Possession effect. Instead, she was placed into a tree she'd done a study of. The World As It Should Be is a wider-reaching reality alteration, although if I was going to translate it into a more familiar milieu I'd just call it Mass Charm Person. Trapping her within it is perhaps the kindest thing you have ever done as a nonlethal elimination. It's what she truly desires, and no one else gets hurt.

I had a joke to make regarding Delilah and entitlement and how anyone who feels entitled will always gently caress up any power they're given, but I only really have the punchline and it's too late in my day to work from the start to the punchline, so here's the punchline: Next time someone asks to speak to your manager, punch them in the face and choke them out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

:stonk: Delilah is now my spirit animal.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm glad Emily got to be with her boon companion the Fish Head one last time.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

*Runs through the houses in dunwall electrocuting everyone with a fish head*

Low chaos everyone!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've increasingly come around to the idea that skool fundamentally plays games like me insofar as she takes various words the game uses as a challenge

"LOW chaos? HEH, you're gonna be sad you put it like THAT..."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
When you get your powers from Sheogorath instead of the Outsider.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Stephen Russell, the voice of Corvo, and also the voice of Garrett from the Thief trilogy, has clearly been marked by ruinous powers himself. In his lifetime he has voiced two stealthy protagonists who get branded on their left hand with godly magic (Garrett at the end of Thief 3, with the final glyph) and Corvo. Coincidentally the marks are in exactly the same place.

COINCIDENCE!?!!!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I think that while the Duke loved Delilah it was mostly a one-sided thing. The feeling I got was that to him she was an amazing, out of this world thing, someone who brought interesting things into his life when all the Hedonism got boring. To her he was amusing as an example of limitless self indulgence, and because he was so interested in her he was useful. She may actually have considered him a kind of friend, and I feel that her ideal world had everyone adoring her like the duke did.

...And seconds after I start typing this Roboky covers most of it. Oops.

E: Also, still can't entirely bring myself to believe Delilah's origin story. I half feel like the Emperor decided to take pity on a poor maid with a daughter around his own daughter's age, allowing her and the kid to live in the castle to give little Jessamine a playmate, somehow ending up telling the maid's kid that she was his daughter to avoid explaining that her real dad was another Dunwall thug who had either run off or died before she was born.

Its way out there, but I never could shake the feeling that there was another viewpoint on Delilah's origin out there that was vastly different, because I could not believe anything she said.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 7, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think it's a fairly done deal that delilah is in fact a bastard of the old emperor, but it's the details after that which get really sketchy - and unfortunately, those details are directly important to how sympathetic she is. the outsider, in the knife of dunwall DLC, tells daud that things when wrong when something really valuable got broken one day when delilah and jessamine were playing together, and he goes on to imply that they were both equally at fault, but when the royal spymaster (hiram burroughs, from Dis1) found them, he made the call to blame delilah, rather than, you know, take the risk of tanning the hide of the emperor's heir.

from what we know of burroughs this account is extremely credible since ultimately he was neither a terribly brave nor intelligent man; given an soft way out of the situation, it's easy to see that he'd prefer to take it. he certainly couldn't come up with a more elegant or thoughtful solution to poverty than "kill all the poor people" in the first game. but the outsider himself is not very credible and has a fairly on-again, off-again relationship with the truth. even if he never lies per se, he's absolutely in love with the liar's tricks of telling half truths and leading you to conclusions so he doesn't have to try to convince you of them.

delilah's account broadly agrees with the outsider's main points - she and jessamine were playing together, and something got broken. but in delilah's account, the entire thing was blown further out of proportion because their 'playing' had an occult element to it, and jessamine actively sold her out rather than burroughs just preferring to believe something, with jessamine saying nothing. those extra details, she goes on to imply, are the reason for her mother's dismissal and their subsequent destitution.

this account is in some ways more credible and some ways less credible than the outsider. it's more credible insofar as the outsider doesn't attempt to explain any reasoning behind delilah's mother's dismissal, and pretty much glosses over that phase of her life entirely, instead motoring ahead to delilah becoming a painter. just having something expensive broken might not be enough to get a parent dismissed like that, but breaking something and filling the heir to the throne's head with occult whisperings probably would be. but the extra details also look really suspicious when you consider that our other witness is the outsider himself. if they were doing occult poo poo, that is definitely something he would have noticed and commented on - he can barely stop himself talking about stupid people invoking him in Dis1. him NOT saying anything seems rather significant in that case. there's also the point that we've had Jessamine hanging out with us this whole time, and while her perception of the world is definitely wacky from inside the Heart, her memories are sharp as ever and she makes a couple of comments about how confused she is about delilah's rage being her fault. Jessamine has definitely never been anything but truthful to the best of her limited abilities, and she is definitely beyond punishment now, being dead as hell, so you would think she's cop to that if she had any reason to.

and obviously, delilah herself is entirely untrustworthy as a source. she definitely suffered hard, but the fact that she is so pissed makes her vulnerable to lying to herself until she believes her own bullshit. if we presume the outsider's telling the whole truth and it really went down with burroughs pussing out and shoving jessamine to the background, the person she really wants revenge against is dead and any survivors are definitely living in fear and isolation as the family of a traitor and murderer. but if you edit just one or two little details, jessamine was the villain, and her loved ones have a throne that, hey, should be yours maybe?

there's a ton of motivation for delilah to lie to herself and as a result i have a lot of trouble taking her word on anything unless it's backed up by someone else. but unfortunately for us, the 'someone else' that we have to rely on is chiefly the loving outsider.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

That High Chaos throne slide is exceptional though. Even if it makes a mess of the upholstery.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Dreadful Wale definitely stands on its own if you don't know the anagram, because it is like three plays on words at once. There's the obvious, dreadful wail, it sounds like "whale" (I think a thug comments on it with that misreading on the docks), and boats have wales. It's a kind of board placed to prevent wear or absorb strain. Gunwales are the most well-known. Also Duad Lleweraf sounds like someone from Wales. :v:

I feel bad for dogs unless and until they try to eat my face. The Bard's Tale had a good dog, too. It gets killed as a dramatic moment. Then, because the entire game is a piss-take of dramatic moments, you get to resurrect it as a cool skeleton dog like two scenes later.

The nubblies on Delilah's lapels always struck me as fungal. Stick up too much to be feathers, not defined enough to be leaves or petals, gotta be fungus.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a moment of satisfactory spite is missed by not allowing you to BURN THE PAINTING you interred Delilah in.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Death to the Empress (1/2): Youtube Polsy
Death to the Empress (2/2): Youtube Polsy

I forgot to update on Friday so here's both halves at once!!!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Worst ending, worst dad.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The sequel power reset is always amusing to me. Sometimes you get to keep a QoL upgrade that was unlockable in the first game (and of course they design puzzles around it now, because why would they not), but I enjoy hearing them jump through hoops to justify losing all your poo poo. Megaman Legends 2 had the funniest one, where Roll just goes "Oops, sorry, I sold all your weapons to fix our ship!" We can only assume here, though. With Corvo, sure, he had those cool sneaky boots and the reinforced doublet and whatever else, but that's hanging in the closet in his chambers, for the ceremony he's wearing his dress blacks. Emily never had that stuff to begin with, she probably stripped the lace off some party duds to make her rooftop suit.

Man, even in my high chaos playthroughs I wouldn't have thought to kill Grampy Sokolov. Meagan, sure, but not hauling her down and showing her to him, either.

I used to watch Bob Ross on like a 4-inch black and white TV, so some of the artistry was lost, but it was still a great learning tool. It's probably only a mild exaggeration to say everything I know about making art I learned from him. (Somewhere, my art teacher breaks out in a cold sweat)

Emily picks up a dang spyglass way back in chapter one when you're leaving the vault. Doesn't explain how she can use it with both hands full, though.

First image result. :effort:

If you Time Stop before opening the door, you have enough time to run in and disarm the launchers before they fire.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
As if the rest of the game weren't reason enough to get and play it, I'm going to have to add to the list: "So I can hear that great credits song without people talking over it." :imunfunny:

Speaking of great music, if anyone hasn't heard of Miracle of Sound, he's got a real talent for capturing the feel of a game in song. Dishonored 2, for example. Been saving that until the full main game run was completed in case there were spoilers or anything, but anyone who doesn't already know this song should check it out.

Getting back to the LP, do you know if you're going to do Death of the Outsider yet, and/or how?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Felinoid posted:

As if the rest of the game weren't reason enough to get and play it, I'm going to have to add to the list: "So I can hear that great credits song without people talking over it." :imunfunny:

Speaking of great music, if anyone hasn't heard of Miracle of Sound, he's got a real talent for capturing the feel of a game in song. Dishonored 2, for example. Been saving that until the full main game run was completed in case there were spoilers or anything, but anyone who doesn't already know this song should check it out.

Getting back to the LP, do you know if you're going to do Death of the Outsider yet, and/or how?

We are! Lune had the footage all ready and we've been commentating on it the last few weeks as the mainline LP has come through. It's a single run, since there's no chaos and you can basically do everything in one go, and the commentary crew is just me, Roboky, and Lune. I'm not sure what his release schedule looks like right now, but we've got all the commentary finished and it's just a matter of post-production. When the DOTO portion of the game starts I'll be requesting a title change on the thread.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Also when I edit the audio the rest of the science videos will be availabable. Mebe Saturday

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
MORE science? :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I loved doing this game and this LP but I swear to god editing the audio was a fresh nightmare is it any wonder I did a subtitled LP?!?!