Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Alternative way to look at it.

If inability to stop a coup is considered a dishonor, then surely one can regain their honor by throwing their own coup. If they didn't want to be dishonored, clearly they could have stopped the coup against the coup. Fair game both ways. Though, to that point, you're not redeemed till your coup is actually SUCCESSFUL. Making you the villain up to the point you regain control again. Then you're the honorable one retroactively. If none of this made sense that's because honor rules inherently don't make sense. Vendetta rules can get out of hand, but they at least have an internal logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the only major part that the article doesn't take into account that i would have been interested in seeing a commentary on is corvo's upward mobility into the elite classes to begin with. that was not supposed to be something that really happened precisely due to the understanding that gentlemen were literally better classes of human due to their inward resources of honor and their physical superiority (remember, this is a time when the average aristocrat was 4 to 5 inches taller than the average working person). corvo became a noble through his own merit and swordsmanship, but he's not from around Dunwall. he doesn't have a history, no breeding to suggest that he is in fact one of those literally better classes of human.

the Loyalists' way of treating him is, in fact, relatively analogous to how the British treated their colonial officer corps in the French and Indian War; regardless of how well various officers performed and ignoring whatever circumstances they performed under, the fact that they were colonials outright precluded a royal commission and subsequent promotion into the gentleman aristocracy, which is what most of the southern states religiously tried to imitate. george washington is the most notable example of this. yes, he got his rear end kicked in the french and indian war, but he kept his units coherent and functional under general braddock's incredibly inept and arrogant leadership and was the inception of the idea of the scout/ranger battalions that saved numerous positions from being compromised. he did fail, but he still outperformed any and all of the 'gentlemen' the mother country sent to resolve the issue. it didn't matter - washington was turned down for both land grants and royal commissions for the better part of a decade before he finally gave up on gentlemanly honor culture as a whole and went rebel, where he ended up playing the part of the greatest Jovian commander* of the era.

in this vein i can kind of follow how Corvo gets treated because, implicitly, he was a working class man and therefore a lower class of mammal. but that's a fairly warm take - i've read a lot of books on the colonial period and so forth, but i can't say that i've ever explicitly studied how English culture was arranged in the time period, so most of my impressions are pieced together from related study rather than direct research.

*: yes, i know that the colonial army got its poo poo kicked in a lot and had to rely on the French regulars, a real force of disciplined fighters, to force Cornwallis's surrender and deal the political blows required to bring about peace and independence. holding territory and killing the enemy like that was equal in importance to being an inspiring leader and building a popular narrative about a force's invincibility, though. if anything, the inspiring myth portion was more important. holding territory and killing the enemy became more important after Carl von Clausewitz's On War entered the military zeitgeist and war machines got sophisticated enough to support the vision. during Washington's time, a good commander was one with an invincible story and an indomitable will to succeed regardless of what was thrown at you. and in this way, no man was Washington's equal. over the course of his life, he had literally a dozen horses shot out from under him, took 6 bullets to his tunic that were intercepted by buttons or other pieces of metal, survived three shellings, and famously replied to "General, we are too close to the enemy guns here" with "Colonel, you have my leave to step back" while overseeing the battle near Yorktown. there is no other Jovian commander of his period that even comes close.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I can certainly see Corvo's rise in status making the others all too eager to kick him once he fell back to his 'rightful' position after failing to stop the coup. Just because the Queen decided to pay attention to merit, rather than breeding, didn't mean the others had to see it that way. Of COURSE Corvo should be treated as the servant he always was. The fact he was the Queen's lover, and the Princess's father, was easy to gloss over because of it's status as an open secret rather than known fact. I wonder if it was such a secret not just because he was 'only' the royal protector. He's basically a commoner in their eyes.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Not to derail things with Washington talk but...

We offered to make him King.

He said no.

Hell of a guy.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

quote:

WOW YOU ARE AMAZING PLEASE BE OUR KING. You realize we literally just rebelled so we wouldn't have a king? GASP. YOU ARE AMAZING. YOU'RE RIGHT.

I'm more impressed he's not known for calling everyone gigantic dumbasses for offering.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i can and have gone on for a long time about how in the present moment, where it is both fashionable and cool to tear down heroes whether they deserve it or not, Washington still holds up. he is far from blameless, of course - he did not take a real stand against slavery until the end of his life, just as a for example - but even with as much as i have read about him from dozens of different sources, it's undeniable that he was eighteen flavors of awesome.

so instead of actually going on about it, i'll just recommend the best book on the subject that i read (and note in the comments that it presents a non-idealized version of his life and is incredibly well researched).

Fuuka Ayase posted:

I'm more impressed he's not known for calling everyone gigantic dumbasses for offering.

this itself is part of the entire thing with him, incidentally. in private he was a man of fire and flame and had a pretty serious temper. but in public he had such self control that even when he was the most famous person in the country, nobody knew about it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

RickVoid posted:

Not to derail things with Washington talk but...

We offered to make him King.

He said no.

Hell of a guy.

To be fair, he got a better offer from the lizard people.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

White Coke posted:

To be fair, he got a better offer from the lizard people.

The British Royal Family?

:downsrim:

(Damnit, takes me far too long to find the right smiley, must be something wrong with me)

Are there similar themes in Dishonored 2, d'you think? We can table the question in case there are spoilers, seeing as how we just started.

And Coolguye, do you really look like a bald Corvo? Are you, in fact, buff?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not THAT bald. I have a big bald spot on the crown of my head (think Franciscan Monk sorta poo poo going on there), which is just genetic. I started losing my hair when I was 22.

In terms of my build, I'm 6'4", 190 lbs, and 9% body fat. I work out regularly (well, when my life isn't stressful as hell). So yeah, Corvo's build is fairly similar to mine, actually. He's a little heavier than me and a bit broader in the shoulders, but if I got up to 200-205 pounds I'd be close to his spitting image.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Coolguye posted:

In terms of my build, I'm 6'4", 190 lbs, and 9% body fat.

So much for imagining you to be a fellow pale pasty nerd.

Next you'll be telling me that Robokye looks like Michael Clarke Duncan (god rest his soul). But with glasses.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i mean i am so white as to be translucent so that part's not wrong

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Awesome, another Coolguye and Roboky adventure through an Arkane game. Looking forward to this.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

berenzen posted:

Awesome, another Coolguye and Roboky adventure through an Arkane game. Looking forward to this.

AHEM

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

seriously, i remember skool expressing a small bit of concern that she wasn't going to 'fit in' with our group, and within like 2 sessions she had the god damnit insert you heard in my episode 1

and then her episode 1 just

holy poo poo, i couldn't breathe during commentary

her ep 1 will be tomorrow though, for now have a bonus video courtesy of lune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hhy-iKRufc

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The fact that Washington made the unbelievable move of walking away from the Presidency (refusing to run a third time, even though he almost certainly would have won) is probably the main reason I think he was such an amazing man. The number of powerful nation leaders who willingly walked away from power without being compelled by age, politics, or scandal is just tiny.

"Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." - Robert Ingersoll.

Ingersoll wrote that about Lincoln, but it applies equally well to Washington, and I think it goes to the real heart of Dishonored's plot, and what the Outsider is all about. There's no doubt the Outsider is a Mephistopheles-like figure, offering Faustian bargains of power to people. Most of the time the people we see who get those magic powers use them to destroy themselves and others. The ultimate test for Corvo or Emily is what they do with the power that's offered them.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

My personal favorite way to kill him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBimrOKBJoU

When I first played, I did this accidentally.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that is some loving quality murder right there

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

painedforever posted:

The British Royal Family?

:downsrim:
I am really sad I recognize this reference.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Aren't they werewolves?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

awoo, bitches

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I couldn't not .gif the magic vanishing sword.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

*~its job done, the soul steel returned to the ether from which it spawned~*

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The Outsider took it as a souvenir.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Two updates in, and already the nonsense has reached wonderful levels. :allears:

Looking forward to Emily's levels the most, since I'm curious as to how much of dear old dad's...er, "habits" Emily has inherited.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

AradoBalanga posted:

Looking forward to Emily's levels the most, since I'm curious as to how much of dear old dad's...er, "habits" Emily has inherited.

Well,if the science video is any indication, she's inherited her father's whiffing ability.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

AradoBalanga posted:

Two updates in, and already the nonsense has reached wonderful levels. :allears:

Y'know, considering that the game starts with a PoV from Emily, I think that Dishonored 2 is more Emily's story than Corvo's. I dunno, maybe. Well, it's an idea that I like, anyway. Corvo mentioning that she's been spending time on the rooftops, Corvo getting his chance to show-off during the coup by decapitating that one guy and blink-killing the others before he gets frozen by whatsherface... it seems to lead up to Emily being the main character.

I'm glad that Corvo's in it as an option, but Emily is the main character, is the theory I'm comfortable with. Or canonical character. Whatever, you ken what I mean.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

as i said before, the idea that this isn’t corvo’s story strikes me as absurd. if corvo wasn’t meant to here the entire setting of karnaca doesn’t make any sense at all.

Third Mission
Feb 18, 2011

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!
Okay this is a weird theory I have and it really only holds up in things like Final Fantasy 12. But while I think Dishonored 2 is Corvo's story, it is also not because I think it is actually Emily telling Corvo's story.

I also don't think it quite succeeded at this, my theory is that they wanted to tell a story that had the history of Corvo in it, but they wanted to tell it through the eyes of Emily, but found that they couldn't just have her running around pops old stomping ground looking at all the places he kicked the can. So they added more plot and slowly there was less time to tell the Corvo story and more time was taken up telling the Jessamine story, and with it the Delilah story.

which brings me to why I say it's like FF12, that game is Balthier's story being told by Vaan.

I never finished this, I got through a few levels as Emily, really didn't like a specific low chaos option, and switched to more moderate play through as Corvo because I like his power set better. Then I just stopped. Then my computer broke.

I guess I get to see everything this game has to offer now

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Low Chaos Emily - A Long Day in Dunwall: Youtube Polsy

(still processing as of this moment)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

that corpse pile :catstare:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there is so much to love about that moment

the build up in loving crazy weirdness, the corpse pile, the detonation among the most of us, and then skool's cheeky "EDITING!!!" reply

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Okay Yep Skoolmonkee just won the LP for me.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

I have nothing to say except this; I have never laughed so hard as to make my face hurt, before today.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
This is magical :allears:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
ISS is most likely Imperial Steam Ship.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The best stuff is near the end of the video, I didn't want to spoil it.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Me, roughly thirty minutes ago: "I dunno if I really want to watch the first Low Chaos Emily video; it'll pretty much be a retread of Low Chaos Corvo because they don't have divergent power sets yet."

Me now: :magical:

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 25, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The inquisition approves of your low Chaos rating.

Also, nice nut cracking. :)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i really cannot tell you guys how glad i was when i saw skool's first episode and i realized how far she and rose had taken the 'play however makes you happy' direction i left for them. the basic ethos i had taken when trying to get collaborators was "get people who are excited and self-starting, and let them off the leash" and we didn't even leave dunwall TOWER before that paid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
It's a kind of magic~