Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
but what about claw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Watcher kicks rear end and is probably the hardest character to play well in an actual fight, gently caress the haters :colbert:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Watcher gsmeplay genuinely feels like it's heavily pushed dlc for the same people who wanted a journalist mode in elden ring

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Spire with my sons is live!

https://twitch.tv/evanfromfa

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Wholesome as gently caress. Thank you. :3:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tonetta posted:

Watcher gsmeplay genuinely feels like it's heavily pushed dlc for the same people who wanted a journalist mode in elden ring

Do what, now?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

You’re living the dad dream.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Watcher is like when you beat the game and unlock the final boss as a playable character. It's way too strong but it doesn't matter a whole lot. Except that you have the Watcher unlocked from almost the start

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The benefit that strikes me of doing STS2 over a DLC or something is that starting fr the ground up enables you to *remove* aspects of the game for rebalancing from the ground up wheras a DLC can only add.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
nm im dumb

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Shine posted:

Do what, now?

Why do they call it Watcher when you watch in the calm stance of out wrath swap the stance?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I beat the heart! Been trying on and off for a year.

Ironclad, got Feed as a starting card and chomped my way through the entire spire to 140 hp. Demon Form and Limit Break did the rest.

My girlfriend who's never beaten the heart is very jealous.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
today i learned snecko is the only scaling you need for a 1-relic run. so many other boss swap runs ended at act 2 or 3 boss, but first try rolling snecko did it

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Oh goddammit. Started my first common sense run and took a rare card from Neow - hand of greed, absolutely amazing. Decided to take this and the blasphemy I was offered a bit later and remove them in act 3. Bottled hand of greed to maximise the damage turn 1.

Forgot you can’t remove a bottled card. God drat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, dumb question, but I realized I've played this game for a billion hours and basically know nothing about the lore? Is there any kind of clear writeup of it?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
drat Downfall is really impressive

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

ImpAtom posted:

So, dumb question, but I realized I've played this game for a billion hours and basically know nothing about the lore? Is there any kind of clear writeup of it?

You gotta slay the spire

Kill the tower

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

ImpAtom posted:

Someone did some good effortposting about it on reddit. It's in this thread somewhere. I'll try to find it.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Sorry for the double post!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

metachronos posted:

Sorry for the double post!

I appreciate it! Thanks!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The post on birds is cool, I didn't put all of those points together. That said it seems like the Automaton article is mostly speculation, we have surprisingly little info on them given how many of them appear in the game and the obvious visual links between them. Given that the Sensory Stone event reveals that the Defect's original directive was "[OBJECTIVE] BALANCE must be ENFORCED" my assumption was that the automatons exist to perpetuate the stalemate between Neow and The Heart and will therefore try to stop anyone from progressing up the Spire.

Also Time Eater was originally another Watcher

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 18, 2024

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

jesus WEP posted:

is seek or scrawl the bigger insta-click? seek for me but it’s close

I think scrawl is slightly better imo because it still provides a ton of value no matter where you draw it in your deck. Bottom of deck seek feels a lot less valuable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ironclad made a deal with a demon to be the strongest in his clan that ended up with the demon killing his clan. In the spire for vengeance.

Silent hunted some variant of the Nemesis with her sisters and took its skull as some kind of test to enter and slay the spire.

Defect is a defective automaton trying to find its own purpose and going against its programming.

Watcher is part of some religious order sent to investigate the Spire after their last agent (the Time Eater) went missing and stopped reporting back.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Zore posted:

Watcher is part of some religious order sent to investigate the Spire after their last agent (the Time Eater) went missing and stopped reporting back.

Ah, I thought it was the other way around - that Watcher was agent who went missing. Makes more sense your way.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

poo poo it never clicked with me until now that tim only says “never liked you” when you’re the watcher

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Shout out to the demon Ironclad made his deal with, it did the twisted Wishmaster thing but then also went ahead and granted him super powers anyway. I hope he got employee of the month for that.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I interpreted the IC sensory stone flashback as IC going mildly insane and killing everyone after being given demon powers, but I guess it could be read either way.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

praise boss swap

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pandora's Box is always the most fun boss swap.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Pandora's Box is always the most fun boss swap.

Yup! That's why there's a mod that will search seeds until it finds one with it.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

there's a mod that just gives you pandora's box and it's the only mod I will use ever. hadn't used it in a good while tho

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Tonetta posted:

praise boss swap

Jfc dagger throw and acro with sneaky strike and an early bandages?

What a laugher of a run that must have been.

And blur, man the more I look the more insane that pandas was.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Just needs a Grand Finale

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I had a really fun silent run today too

Started the game with a rare card (thousand cuts) and picked up a letter opener early. I never saw the opportunity to spam low cost cards. Pulled Snecko eye from the first boss chest. Two bullet times and 3 footwork+ later I wasn’t really taking damage. Defend was giving me 20 block!

Got a letter opener and would turtle up with big hands off free skills made free with bullet time and letter opened my way thru things with a few big attacks in the deck. Lining up akabeko, pen nib, and necronomicon with Eviscerate was devastating.

I opened the heart fight with two duplicate potions, two footwork+, and bullet time in my opening hand.

I love this game so much.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Pander posted:

Jfc dagger throw and acro with sneaky strike and an early bandages?

What a laugher of a run that must have been.

And blur, man the more I look the more insane that pandas was.

it was pretty nutty. it's an unmodded run and the seed's in the second screenshot so give it a go! the early game was a bit tentative due to having almost no defenses. either I killed the stuff on turn 1 or took like 10-15 damage. it was pretty sick. the bandages were good but the sundial really sealed the win.

mcvey posted:

Just needs a Grand Finale

I would never willingly pick that card

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 18, 2024

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

it was pretty nutty. it's an unmodded run and the seed's in the second screenshot so give it a go! the early game was a bit tentative due to having almost no defenses. either I killed the stuff on turn 1 or took like 10-15 damage. it was pretty sick. the bandages were good but the sundial really sealed the win.

I'm like 5 000 hours in and just now starting to get reliably consistent at knowing when to take it and how to use it right.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Tonetta posted:

Be a lot cooler if you did

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm like 5 000 hours in and just now starting to get reliably consistent at knowing when to take it and how to use it right.

yeah I mean it's okay but taking it to the heart is a net negative. unless you can exhaust down to 1 full hand after getting pumped full of status cards AND don't already have an infinite, it's just worse than not taking it. it would help slightly against the time lord in that circumstance, which I took Choke for (acrobat into choke looped in this build)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tonetta posted:

me either, because

jesus WEP posted:

frozen eye grand finale is a plot to make me Think and i will resist at any cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

me either, because

Really the big problem with grand finale is that conceptually it's a card that requires some level of card manipulation that makes it too hard to use in act 1, and by the time you hit act 3 you probably have an engine of death that doesn't need it or a deck not constructed to make it viable. It's only useful for certain deck types in act 2 (let's just go ahead and say it, it's for killing slavers).

Eviscerate works in every act and takes far fewer cards to maximize. Plus it's not rare. The only thing it doesn't do is AOE.