Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, never underestimate being able to thin your deck out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Spoon is a weird relic that at first glance you think "oh man I get to play my really powerful cards twice sometimes" and then the more you play the more you come to understand that exhaust is very balanced in the player's favor. It's actually pretty rare for you to want to play an exhausted card again in a hallway fight, and if you're playing Ironclad, you already have a way to play them again for bosses.

I'm not sure how others think about it, but the way I think of the Spoon now is: do I have Apparitions? Then maybe I'lll think about it. Otherwise not worth the money.

edit: a quick mechanical note on the Spoon - it only works on cards that exhaust when played. Pro: it will not try to save a Dazed card; Con: it will not save unplayed Ethereal cards. If under Corruption, it will save those cards because you are playing them. Weird interaction: when you try to burn a curse with Blue Candle, Spoon will try to save it because you are playing it.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 24, 2024

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Agreed, Spoon is a weird relic. I actually think it has the most potential for a Silent poison run - do not under any circumstances buy it if you're using shivs. But if you have a couple of Catalysts, an Adrenaline or two, then spoon can become ridiculous.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was on an excellent silent run recently on A9 that was leaning into shivs. Then I picked up a dead branch without thinking that through. I managed to kill the heart but I was very close and I felt stupid in just about every fight after picking up the branch and seeing how it bloated my deck to near complete disfunction.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Spoon has good targets on IC - Reaper and Impervious come to mind, or Exhume for the lols - it's just that it doesn't work well when combined with the standard Corruption suite.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Shiv+dead branch is fine if you dont mind that your deck is now totally in the hands of the gods and have some sources of energy to actually play what it puts in your hands. It’s the kind of situation where broken crown is actually takable. Fusion hammer also becomes more appealing when you’re not getting your cards from combat drops.

Add runic pyramid though you’re just hosed.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 24, 2024

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Shiv Branch is a wild ride, I love it so much. There's enough discard and energy-efficient block cards in the Silent pool that it almost always works, and if you get any discard or attack count relics, you're golden.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Shiv + Dead Branch is something you take when you have no way to beat the next boss and just need to gamble on making something happen.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
see Dead Branch take Dead Branch.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Yeah really shiv is probably the best combo with dead branch for silent, she's doesn't have a ton of cards that exhaust, so if you want to lean into branch it's the way to go. Like many builds, you are at the mercy of the heart of the cards but boy is it usually insanely good and fun.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Lucas Archer posted:

Agreed, Spoon is a weird relic. I actually think it has the most potential for a Silent poison run - do not under any circumstances buy it if you're using shivs. But if you have a couple of Catalysts, an Adrenaline or two, then spoon can become ridiculous.

Defect loves the spoon, Watcher too but not as much.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I am a fan of the Shiv + DB combo. Storm of Steel + Dead Branch is amazing, and has a decent chance of hitting another Storm of Steel.

OzFactor posted:

Shiv Branch is a wild ride, I love it so much. There's enough discard and energy-efficient block cards in the Silent pool that it almost always works, and if you get any discard or attack count relics, you're golden.

Yeah, the card pool is set up in such a way that comboing off from the first 3-4 free cards you get from Blade Dance isn't too uncommon. To avoid the lovely reshuffle, take as many cards that work with this theme that are better than average compared to the silent card pool. You don't want a slim deck, you want a deck with lots of shivs, card draw, and discard interactions. Because it'll delay the reshuffle and improve your average draw after the reshuffle by diluting the dead branch cards.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, never underestimate being able to thin your deck out.

Yeah you won’t be doing that with dead branch

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Love getting brimstone and somehow killing the heart. Dont care youre hitting me for 10x15, i will block your poo poo! Ironchad my beloved

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

My comically large box with the StS board game arrived today, and I am excited to play it. Lots of cards, lots of satisfying bits and bobs to mess with, I have no complaints so far.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m on a new Ironclad run and walked away from the very first combat with Searing Blow and a path that includes 4 campfires. Given the timing and path I would’ve felt like I missed an opportunity by picking either of the other options.

How should I be thinking about developing my deck? It my gut is telling me to maintain a slim deck and prioritize card draw and deck manipulation?

It’s interesting to think about how applying most/all upgrades onto a single card will fit in with the rest of the game. I’d love to hear how others have made this card work.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m on a new Ironclad run and walked away from the very first combat with Searing Blow and a path that includes 4 campfires. Given the timing and path I would’ve felt like I missed an opportunity by picking either of the other options.

How should I be thinking about developing my deck? It my gut is telling me to maintain a slim deck and prioritize card draw and deck manipulation?

It’s interesting to think about how applying most/all upgrades onto a single card will fit in with the rest of the game. I’d love to hear how others have made this card work.

Your entire dmg suite is basically finished. Only thing you might add is a double tap and maybe a headbutt.

You still need blocking and you still need to survive long enough to get that searing blow to a dangerous place. You can dodge elites but you can't dodge bosses.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Another card to think about is Armaments+. For starters, it's an easy way to help compensate for Searing Blow soaking up all of your upgrades. But on top of that, it also works on Searing Blow, letting you temporarily scale it up even more. Which isn't the most important thing in the world but all together it's a strong pickup, especially if you can find it pre-upgraded. Obviously Apotheosis would be another clutch find for the same reasons.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Your damage is 1 card so youll need to fashion your deck in such a way that you use it consistently. More draw/smaller deck, dual wield, dollys mirror, etc. And vuln, vuln is really good with high damage single hit cards.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does Dolly’s Mirror copy all the upgrades applied to Searing Blow?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Yes. It will copy upgraded Ritual Daggers and such, too.

I don't know if it copies bottles or not.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'd figure the card info is held on the relic, not the other way around, but it's an interesting question - one that could probably be answered if anyone's ever fed N'loth a bottle!

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

SkeletonHero posted:

Yes. It will copy upgraded Ritual Daggers and such, too.

I don't know if it copies bottles or not.

Bottled cards dont show iirc

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Wildtortilla posted:

Now I'm at a shop and the Strange Spoon is available and I'm not sure that I should take. Should my goal be to let the branch give me new cards or have the spoon + branch preserve my cards sometimes and other times give me new cards?

I have not played with exhaust mechanics much at all and I'm not sure how to think about this.

The thing to keep in mind about Strange Spoon, is that if it activates and stops a card from exhausting, that means it DOESN'T activate the exhaust-related effects of Dead Branch, Feel No Pain, or Dark Embrace, so it's really anti-synergistic with those. It also does not help you keep cards exhausted by Fiend Fire or Second Wind, as those are cards that exhaust OTHER cards; it might let you keep the Fiend Fire but not anything else it deleted.

So, the reason to take Strange Spoon is that you've got a bunch of self-exhausting cards that you want to use multiple times, like Disarm or Seeing Red or War Cry, but you DON'T have any other on-exhaust synergies and don't really want to build in that direction. I personally would rather hold out for a power!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dyz posted:

Your damage is 1 card so youll need to fashion your deck in such a way that you use it consistently. More draw/smaller deck, dual wield, dollys mirror, etc. And vuln, vuln is really good with high damage single hit cards.

Headbutt and warcry become very good.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Wildtortilla posted:

It might sound weird but don't fall into the trap of upgrading Searing Blow too much. A 60 damage SB isn't necessarily that much better than a 50 damage one in most fights since it will still take the same amount of turns to finish it. Focus on getting it to a good place and then you want draw / deck manipulation so you can play it a lot, and block so you don't die in the process. Small is good.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Relyssa posted:

My comically large box with the StS board game arrived today, and I am excited to play it. Lots of cards, lots of satisfying bits and bobs to mess with, I have no complaints so far.

Enjoy! I'm digging the board game (virtually, for the moment. I love that they've redesigned the game to cut down on min-maxing of card and relic effects. No more playing a bunch of junk cards or junk turns to get Ink Bottle and Clockwork Souvenir on the right number, for example. Those are both legit and useful strategies, but I find them tedious. Both of those examples now work off the dice roll at the start of each turn. This keeps things moving along more briskly, which is especially important in a cooperative game.

It looks like they also tried to remove infinite turn combos, which I appreciate because infinites are boring. Besides, one player getting one would make other players unnecessary beyond "stay alive until someone else gets their infinite going," which sucks for co-op.

I think they've found a nice sweet spot in difficulty. It doesn't have the strategic depth of the video game, but some popular strategies they removed are ones that would slow the pace of what is already a slower version of the game. They've made a fun, streamlined, co-operative version of a complex singleplayer game. Good poo poo imo.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I had a sick shiv deck rolling and simply loving forgot to get the campfire shard. I'm more mad about it than I should be, but that was probably going to be a top score for me

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Huh. Only one after image and a relative lack of card draw seems pretty risky vs the heart. The scaling is pretty neat, just seems like beat of death can chew through you without a double after image or ornamental fan.

Did you skip time eater or beat him? Again, seems like a rough one. Maybe I just don't have a good feel for that decks effectiveness, I'm used to shiv decks struggling late on a20.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Pander posted:

Huh. Only one after image and a relative lack of card draw seems pretty risky vs the heart. The scaling is pretty neat, just seems like beat of death can chew through you without a double after image or ornamental fan.

Did you skip time eater or beat him? Again, seems like a rough one. Maybe I just don't have a good feel for that decks effectiveness, I'm used to shiv decks struggling late on a20.

It's a pretty small deck overall. With Scaling Dex and footwork , those two backflips and escape plan drawing into deflect and defends will cover the first rotation and a half easily. Though, dome would make guarding against the big hit trickier. If the deck had just 1-2 more card draw cards (or even better backflips specifically),I'd call it almost guaranteed.

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 26, 2024

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Pander posted:

I didn't get to fight time eater with the build but it would have been ok so long as I had more than half health. Same with heart, once you ate 20-25 damage, the bonus dex would have kicked in and made it very safe to play for the remainder of the fight (5-7 turns max). there's a non-zero chance the build bricks at heart from terrible turn 1 and 2 draws due to deck bloat, but it's quite unlikely given the natural card draw you get from bottle and shiv.

JamMasterJim posted:

Though, dome would make guarding against the big hit trickier.

pretty much every fight in the game is scripted to play the same way, and the heart is always skip turn, Yx15, big hit, curses, YxZ, big hit, buffs, etc. runic dome is basically the best boss relic in the game once you learn all the fight patterns.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
the heart can do either the big hit or the multi hit on turn 2, thats what makes it scary if your blocking strategy for one is different for the other.

or you may overblock the big hit/multi hit twice and miss out on damage.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Yeah there's just so much dex scaling and if you have some money you can bring potions, I think you'd have been great against the Heart. I can imagine the cackling when you got that Kunai and then the scream of terror when you realized you missed the camp key.

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

extremely large and incredibly huge

pain

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lmfao

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Now I wish there was an interaction when you have ectoplasm at the merchant. His hand no longer follows your cursor and his dialogue changes to "ewwwww it's getting all over my mat!" and "please sir, hurry and leave"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets good RNG.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

loving up Time Eater on turn three without even having to pop my Fairy in a Bottle :kiss:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

lol
That’s horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Today my wife saw me fighting a cultist and put on her dopey voice routine. "Why are you trying to fight me? I'm just trying to land a plane, here. Back off and let me do my job, buddy. "