Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does Juggernaut proc for each card exhausted by Second Wind?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Wildtortilla posted:

Does Juggernaut proc for each card exhausted by Second Wind?

Yes.

If you have feel no pain in play, that *also* stacks separately. So you can really add up juggernaut damage if you get a nice setup.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think juggernaut + fnp + shivs + after image is the funnest prismatic synergy i’ve seen

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Drunk Nerds posted:

Today my wife saw me fighting a cultist and put on her dopey voice routine. "Why are you trying to fight me? I'm just trying to land a plane, here. Back off and let me do my job, buddy. "

My first reaction to the StS2 preview was that the enemy design looks corny as hell. But then I realized they were just matching the aesthetic of the first game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
okay I laughed at the idea that the cultist is just trying to signal with flags

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Finally got a game going of the board game. It's perfect. I'm honestly stunned at how well they've translated the video game to board game format.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

The final boss of the board game is finding someone who will play it with you.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

neato burrito posted:

The final boss of the board game is finding someone who will play it with you.

You can play it solo!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Relyssa posted:

Finally got a game going of the board game. It's perfect. I'm honestly stunned at how well they've translated the video game to board game format.

I'm curious, have you finished a run? I worry about how complex the game state can be in act three and how you'd handle that when the computer is a person.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quiggy posted:

I'm curious, have you finished a run? I worry about how complex the game state can be in act three and how you'd handle that when the computer is a person.

I've gotten to the Act 2 boss so far. It's done a very good job at handling things. You roll a die at the start of each turn to determine some rng stuff, boss and other monster abilities can go through a cycle. Each player gets assigned a row, monsters go into a row and only attack the player assigned to it, unless it's an aoe. There's been some simplification, naturally, like numbers being a lot lower in general and stuff like copying cards isn't really a thing.

Multiplayer is co-op only. The 'computer' in this case is either rng for ability selected or progressed through a specific cycle. Targeting is handled by which row it's in. So far it has never been the decision of a human where a monster attack is going or what ability it's using - the game has neatly determined that for us.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 28, 2024

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

quiggy posted:

I've played two full (well, Act 1-3, haven't unlocked Heart/Act IV yet) runs, as well as one game that was just Act 1 to get used to it. One full run was with 2 friends at a board game event, and the rest have been with my 11-year-old finishing one act each day.

It does get more complex as you get more relics & powers, but it's easy to manage if you're used to complex board games. Relics tend to be once per combat/per floor, or once per turn on a successful roll, or once per turn. Keeping them sorted based on when these effects trigger made things pretty easy to handle even when we both had 10-12 relics at the end. There's a large reduction in the number of things you need to track in general because relics that in the electronic version would track things like how many cards, attacks, etc. you've played will instead usually just activate off the die.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah, the game is still challenging, even with streamlined mechanics. Basically, it's StS with fewer things to min-max, and they loving nailed the balance.

If you're someone who hates to pick up Frozen Eye because it slows the game down, yet you begrudgingly pick it up because it's too powerful to skip, then you'll appreciate the board game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Since I keep hearing about the STS board game, I tried it out on Tabletop Simulator, solo. Played Ironclad, died to Slime Boss, the classic "i split him, now oh poo poo they're attacking for 36 (7, in the board game's numbers) and i just drew a buncha statuses". It seems like as faithful an adaptation of the videogame as they could possibly do. Playing it on TTS is pretty fiddly but I bet it'd go pretty swiftly IRL. Hard to give a verdict after such a short playing; so far, it seems like a decent enough game, but I doubt it's gonna knock my socks off.

Probably don't think it's worth buying for me, as I'm poor and the game is expensive as hell (it has like 600 cards and comes with 450 sleeves, so the manufacturing costs are pretty high). So I don't know when I'll ever get a chance to play it in person.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shine posted:

Yeah, the game is still challenging, even with streamlined mechanics. Basically, it's StS with fewer things to min-max, and they loving nailed the balance.
drat it sounds amazing

quote:

If you're someone who hates to pick up Frozen Eye because it slows the game down, yet you begrudgingly pick it up
ah

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Frozen Eye, like Ink Bottle and Burner, are attempts to make me think while playing this game and I steadfastly refuse to do this.

DontMockMySmock posted:

died to Slime Boss, the classic "i split him, now oh poo poo they're attacking for 36 (7, in the board game's numbers) and i just drew a buncha statuses".

hence I do this all the time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ink bottle is a nice little relic, it only fucks me over very occasionally unlike say gremlin horn which does it all the time

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

drat it sounds amazing

ah

I'm someone who never ever takes frozen eye and I love the board game

gently caress frozen eye

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i posted this in the boardgame thread but i'll crosspost it here since y'all are talking about the boardgame too

trip report on the new StS board game: very good. My wife (no StS experience, but a lot of Dominion, puzzle strike, etc.) and I (StS vet) both enjoyed the heck out of it. It is really the best-of-all-possible-worlds interpretation of the computer game into a board game, and its very novel to suddenly have, for example, an Ironclad limit break deck be able to be majorly supported by a Silent deck with a lot of Vulnerability cards. She loved that the cards are so clean iconographically. Dyslexia makes less honed deckbuilders and card games hard for her because of the sheer amount of text going on - the StS board game team put a ton of effort into making the cards extremely succinct. The standard floor fights hit a good balance of quickness versus effort - there's less turns happening per fight here than the computer game, which solve the problem of not having the computer there to calculate things for you. The big boss fights are slower but meaningfully crunchy, especially with the big damage they can toss out.

I wonder how bad a loss to a strong Goblin Nob in act 1 when a character manages to draw 0 defend cards at the wrong time would feel in a team game, however. This hasn't happened for us so far but it seems possible - if not for us then for someone who is a little newer to this kind of game. Upgrading your defends allows you to use your defends on other character, rather than just yourself - I wonder if that kind of play is going to make upgrading them more valuable in this game vs the digital version.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

frozen eye is a plot to make me Think and i will resist at any cost

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

jesus WEP posted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i just picked this game up a week or two ago and immediately got hooked. i read some tips from this thread and things really started to click on a run just now as the robot guy. i stabilized and started snowballing halfway through act 2 and by act three i had so much momentum that i was able to kill the time keeper before he could hit his second phase. i’ve made it to the heart fight twice before but each time got murked by it within a few turns while i barely made a dent. this is it. i may not beat it but this really feels like it has potential

i forgot to grab the red key at the last rest point

:shepicide:

i didn’t even need it! i had full health and chose the card to upgrade at random! i was in the zone and just went straight through it

is it possible to recover the save somehow?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i just picked this game up a week or two ago and immediately got hooked. i read some tips from this thread and things really started to click on a run just now as the robot guy. i stabilized and started snowballing halfway through act 2 and by act three i had so much momentum that i was able to kill the time keeper before he could hit his second phase. i’ve made it to the heart fight twice before but each time got murked by it within a few turns while i barely made a dent. this is it. i may not beat it but this really feels like it has potential

i didn’t even need it! i had full health and chose the card to upgrade at random! i was in the zone and just went straight through it

If you haven't moved on to the boss then you can hit Esc and choose Save & Quit. If you have, tough luck.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i was so in the zone i didn't even realize it until i slashed the heart and it showed me the game over screen

i didn't even have to use any potions on the time eater! i had a thorns and two focus potions! gently caress!!!!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been barely sleeping the last couple days due to being able to get to the second A20 act 3 boss on Silent almost every run now. The Heart will be mine.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Massive oof, sorry to hear it. There's nothing you can do to go back in the base game, but if you're playing on PC or steam deck you can run this mod to be able to do so with future runs: Run Resumer

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You could look at the seed and make exactly the same decisions all game

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

looking through this thread I saw other people were posting their runs and had no clue you could do that. so here's the run from last night, any critiques welcome

i had a random event that let me convert all my strikes and defends into random upgraded cards. interestingly almost none of those were duds except for blizzard which never scaled at all. essentially i would be taking care to make sure i never accidentally exhausted my frost orbs and recurse them when possible. initially i would tank until i could find something that let me draw apotheosis and/or creative AI and then it was steamroll oclock. i picked up recycle late in the game solely so i could use it to exhaust duds but it got to the point where it didn't really matter as i rarely went through my deck enough times for it to have made a difference. this was really fun and i'm still bummed that i whiffed so hard right at the end

i'm now understanding the value in one-time use block cards/abilities. you only need to use them once to buy you time to get set up. when i was first playing i would pass on these thinking they were traps as you'd get an initial start but would quickly get killed once you cycled through your deck. now i'm starting to get it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 30, 2024

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Something I've only recently noticed. Few years into the game now.

I'm sure at least one/some of you have mentioned this before. But there's a very "meta" card shuffling concept I didn't fully realize... I guess you'd say the "gravity of" until recently.

When you have a hand and let's say... you have 0 in your draw pile. The card you play next gets shuffled into the next run-through of your deck... but the other ones WON'T. So, the other cards you play in that hand... won't be seen on next shuffle-through... and could, at worst (if you want them to be played), be at the bottom of the (next next) shuffle-through.

So if you want to play them, you won't see them for a long time -- supposing a run goes that long. But, let's say you have a power through that makes wounds. You can shove those wounds two shuffles down if you play it right. Making the wounds almost not noticeable ever, depending on deck size.

I really feel there's game-saving and game-winning strategies within just being cognizant of this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think that's accurate. You have to draw a card with 0 left in draw pile for a reshuffle to happen, it's not a question of which card you play first.

Trying to ensure your good cards get shuffled in is important ofc though.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 30, 2024

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

No Wave posted:

I don't think that's accurate. You have to draw a card with 0 left in draw pile for a reshuffle to happen, it's not a question of which card you play first.

Trying to ensure your good cards get shuffled in is important ofc though.

You're right. I think I meant to originally say that... upon one draw, say from a backflip... or a shrug. The ones in your hand yet, won't be shuffled in. And that's what I... noticed, in reality. I never paid close attention to that before, but it makes a difference, I bet.

You got it.

With our powers combineeeddd

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

No Wave posted:

He's saying that if you have some wounds in hand and 0 cards left in draw pile, you want to force a reshuffle now rather than ending the turn with 0 left. This way instead of those wounds being discarded and shuffled in together with everything, you get a fresh reshuffle without the wounds that are currently in your hand.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

WorldIndustries posted:

He's saying that if you have some wounds in hand and 0 cards left in draw pile, you want to force a reshuffle now rather than ending the turn with 0 left. This way instead of those wounds being discarded and shuffled in together with everything, you get a fresh reshuffle without the wounds that are currently in your hand.

You've got it too. My garbled half-there writing was synthesized how I wished it to be, not as I wrote it.

I'm also probably the last one to the gate on this concept.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I simply play the cards with large numbers on

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

PIZZA.BAT posted:

looking through this thread I saw other people were posting their runs and had no clue you could do that. so here's the run from last night, any critiques welcome

i had a random event that let me convert all my strikes and defends into random upgraded cards. interestingly almost none of those were duds except for blizzard which never scaled at all. essentially i would be taking care to make sure i never accidentally exhausted my frost orbs and recurse them when possible. initially i would tank until i could find something that let me draw apotheosis and/or creative AI and then it was steamroll oclock. i picked up recycle late in the game solely so i could use it to exhaust duds but it got to the point where it didn't really matter as i rarely went through my deck enough times for it to have made a difference. this was really fun and i'm still bummed that i whiffed so hard right at the end

i'm now understanding the value in one-time use block cards/abilities. you only need to use them once to buy you time to get set up. when i was first playing i would pass on these thinking they were traps as you'd get an initial start but would quickly get killed once you cycled through your deck. now i'm starting to get it

Since that's a pretty big deck, here is a general piece of advice that the game doesn't ever tell you explicitly (actually there might be a tip somewhere that says it, but I dunno): when you are offered a card at the end of a fight, there are two reasons to not take a card:

1) if there's nothing that really helps you out of the three, taking a card you don't really need makes it harder to draw the cards you do actually want in your hand (this is just a basic deck-building game thing), but also...

2) when you skip a card reward, it (slightly) increases the card rarity of the next card reward. Details here under Rarity: https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Gameplay

So there's a double incentive to skip a card reward when you get offered three things that don't work for you.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

EconDad posted:

You've got it too. My garbled half-there writing was synthesized how I wished it to be, not as I wrote it.

I'm also probably the last one to the gate on this concept.

I hadn't thought about it much before, although manipulating the draw and discard is huge in general and something I didn't think much about until I hit a20 and needed to tighten up my game.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Not an empty quote.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OzFactor posted:

2) when you skip a card reward, it (slightly) increases the card rarity of the next card reward. Details here under Rarity: https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Gameplay

I've never heard of this and I can't see any mention of it in your link. It says the game rolling a common card increases the chance of it rolling a rare in the future, but says nothing about skipping affecting anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Sometimes I play lots of cards with small numbers instead.