Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Honestly surprised that my dl speeds aren't shameful. Unlimited downloads for $70/no

Uploading kills me though. Backing poo poo up is a chore but restoring it is effortless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Xaris posted:

:suicide:

comcast is loving garbage poo poo, and this is the bay area even. good thing we're getting sonic gigabit fiber here in a few months for $40 a month and pro net-neutrality and privacy

comcast can get hosed.

i had a better internet service provider in rural indiana than i ever have had in the bay area.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

obstipator posted:

I got 10000 mbps op
i will post it when its done uploading. 6% uploaded to imgur. hopefully mom doesnt pick up the phone and interrupt it

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

not shabby for $50/mo+

Kazinsal posted:

symmetrical (or at least higher upload) would be cool but hooooo-wheeee that would never happen for residential customers in the great white north

that's actually fairly common to see on the residential PON fiber they're doing everywhere now. You share 2.5gbps downstream with however many other houses on your node (8 or 16 probably) but everyone has their own upstream frequency with a full gigabit

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 26, 2018

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
uploads in GPON are time-divided.
if you're trying to upload a lot and nobody else is uploading anything you will get more burst slots, so can effectively use the whole gigabit, but it's still shared.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

my bitter bi rival posted:

i had a better internet service provider in rural indiana than i ever have had in the bay area.
Reliability has been fine for me, but it's so loving obscenely overpriced. i was paying for a Blast! Pro package for like $90 with higher speeds which was alright, but i wasn't using the TV portion anyways (they want to artificially bump their subscribers so they offer(ed) discounted internet with tv for same price of worse internet), eventually that went up to $120 and they discontinued it s i said gently caress this and switched to the cheapest package (lol $70) and im just gunna wait out for Sonic soon.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Xaris posted:

im just gunna wait out for Sonic soon.

-one of those feral kids in beyond thunder dome

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nice

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have 15/5 cable from cox. I could upgrade but they charge a lot more

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

:laugh:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:dong:

Dan Quayle Treasure Trail
Dec 28, 2005

$30 internet in OLD EUROPE

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

$ trickle -d 420000 /bin/chrome

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

speedtest? more like stems & seeds test.

:420:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

$95/mo. thanks again cox :flaccid:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i get 1gbit symmetrical but im on my phone and travelling so y'all will just have to believe me.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The connection can potentially do 1000/1000 if I someday have some great desire to pay $150/month for my internet

Really anything over 100mbit is just dickwaving imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol no

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

$95/mo. thanks again cox :flaccid:

it's pretty sad that my internet has been basically the same speed for 10 years, only the price has gone up

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's pretty sad that my internet has been basically the same speed for 10 years, only the price has gone up

even better, at some point i checked and i'm basically paying double what i was 6 years ago for only slightly better, and now there's a data cap on top of it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we actually have competitions (THREE choices!) so prices here aren't horrible. i'm paying under $70 for 1 gbps down and much slower up with no cap.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

but, like only when I'm connecting to at&t's closest server. it's like these tests are rigged.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oh poo poo, i broadcasted my ip address

pram
Jun 10, 2001
loading hacking tools

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

$40/month for 100/10 with no cap. i actually get a little more than that but i have bufferbloat mitigation turned on for those sick low pings :rice:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

$40/month for 100/10 with no cap. i actually get a little more than that but i have bufferbloat mitigation turned on for those sick low pings :rice:

WOW you pay a lot for lovely internet and cable

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

i think this plan is normally $50/month but i'm on a promotional rate of $40/month until july

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
every time my ‘promotional’ rates with Cablevision expire I truthfully tell them that the Verizon CO is literally across the street from me, and ask what they can do on their price

(I mystically don’t have FiOS availability but I imply that I do shh)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

akadajet posted:

WOW you pay a lot for lovely internet and cable

I'm just happy to have no cap

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I pay $110 for 130/15 in San Francisco. :allears:

You'd think this tech city would have super cheap fast internet but no. Turns out the nimbys and hippies think the streetside distribution boxes are ugly and will fight tooth and nail to avoid having them installed.

Still better than my friend down in the valley though, who literally lives like a 20 minute drive from Apple headquarters and cannot get anything faster than 50 megabit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

I pay $110 for 130/15 in San Francisco. :allears:

You'd think this tech city would have super cheap fast internet but no. Turns out the nimbys and hippies think the streetside distribution boxes are ugly and will fight tooth and nail to avoid having them installed.

Still better than my friend down in the valley though, who literally lives like a 20 minute drive from Apple headquarters and cannot get anything faster than 50 megabit
SF has some expanding fiber tho iirc, what do you have, comcast? sounds about what I was paying before I decided that was way too much money for those fucks and like 70/5 was ok enough for now until I can switch

you should check on sonic gigafiber availability, they're pushing expansions hard in sf and east bay here. https://www.sonic.com/gigabit theres also some other ones like monkeybrains I think tho that may be more business oriented

• Locked thread