Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pretty likely that (at least in OP's opinion) his wife is making the money disappear and it's a prominent reason he wants a divorce, but he probably isn't going to say so in this thread, especially if he's done the only sensible thing and hired a lawyer by now

Yeah, I feel like this from the OP:

quote:

This was sort of a bleeding-staunching method to try and put a cap on our (and by "our" I mostly mean "her") out of control spending.

My wife does not work. Judging by the logs I have been keeping, childcare-wise I would probably be considered the "Primary Caretaker" despite working full time, since we pay for daycare two days a week and I watch him the majority of the time when I'm home including feeding him, dressing him, putting him to bed, etc. and so on.

makes it pretty clear why a divorce is happening and/or necessary without needing to go into the details.

OP, your biggest priority should be getting a divorce lawyer. Your second-biggest priority should be not getting hosed over by her divorce lawyer.

The rest of it is so dependent on the results of the divorce that I honestly can't see how you'd get a reasonable estimate of your necessary expenses. I mean, what's a worst-case scenario, anyways? You lose all your assets, you're 20k more in the hole (because you got half of the credit-card debt in the divorce and your wife has secret credit cards, and also lawyer fees) on top of your student debt, you're paying the max alimony indefinitely, and you're paying the maximum amount of child support and only get weekend visits so you need to maintain a room for your kid to sleep in? And you lose your housing (it goes to the wife) and now you have to rent a new place?

There's so many outlandish worst-case possibilities that someone without more knowledge of the details has no way of guessing what a realistic one would be for you.

If anything, practice your self-control and monitor your discretionary spending for a while and try to get a measure of how much you spend on eating out and other unnecessary expenses? Try to keep aware of when you get the impulse to purchase something and keep track of how often that is/how much you'd normally spend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread