Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

GlyphGryph posted:

Need to decide whether to liquidate all $35k in retirement savings or just half of it? It would be nice to have some retirement savings, but having a safety buffer for both of us post-separation, enough to handle a new car, new apartments, new lives might be good. And if it lasts, I can use it to pay off my loan - and to be honest, even though the interest on my loan is low, I don't think they are lower than the interest on retirement savings on average.

This is your student loan, right? Without knowing your specific situation, your expected 401k return rate is most likely higher than your student loan rate, and that's even before the tax on it. You might not have to pay the early withdrawal penalty if it's withdrawn as part of a QDRO but i'm not a divorce expert, just a guy on the internet that likes to shriek "don't touch your 401k" because it's the right advice a lot. I understand the desire to start fresh and it sounds like you make a decent amount of money but a bunch of it is going to be gone soon. $35k isn't bad for a 401k at your age but having to restart from $0 with a significantly reduced income is going to be a real drag if your goal is retirement at any point.

That said, if that's what's necessary for getting the :sever: process off the ground here, you gotta do what you gotta do. But since you're asking, it sounds like it's an option and i'd say keep something to build on if possible. Just my two cents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread