Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If you're NOT saving for retirement, you're the ballsiest gambler of them all.

It's a guarantee we'll all be too old to work one day, and if you're going to be riddled with dementia you'll need even more retirement savings than most.

You listed a lot of bad things that could happen that would make retirement funds unnecessary, but they're far far far less likely than you getting old and unable to work.

Also you sound pretty depressed. Not sad and mopey, but like you don't give a poo poo or have feelings. A lawyer is good but you need a therapist just as much, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He's afraid of the stock market and doesn't seem to understand it very well. I HIGHLY recommend reading the jlcollinsnh.com "Stock Series" to learn why you aren't just giving your money to fatcats to speculate with.

Also, planning for your own retirement is the best gift you could ever give your son. You will be saddling him with a tremendous burden if you don't, because he will take care of you and make sacrifices for you even if you don't want him to.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The first entry in the jlcollinsnh.com stocks series is called "How I Failed My Daughter" and will be a good read.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

potatoducks posted:

What's the plan when you get too old to work? Bullet?

If that's the plan then I agree you don't need to save for retirement.

Dude, the reason I urged him to have a therapist is that his post seem vaguely suicidal to me. Planning to give away all of your wealth, and having a hard time imagining a future for yourself are two very significant warning signs.

• Locked thread