Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I don't really understand what you're saying and just for my own curiosity:

What do you mean by direct investment?

I assume it's separate from your son's education. Most people save for their kids' education and save for retirement at the same time.

Do you expect your son to care for you in your later years?

When you say you care about savings and investment but not in your 401k what are you saving for if not for retirement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
What's the plan when you get too old to work? Bullet?

If that's the plan then I agree you don't need to save for retirement.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Spending the money on things with the potential to generate actual long-term utility and value and further income generation. I mean education is a good example of that and the return on value for early childhood education especially is very good... and frankly spending the money on some decent cognitive behavioural therapy might be the same, because even if I don't think I'm properly depressed or emotionally void like the poster above implied, I recognize there are many ways I not particularly well-adapted either.

But there are plenty of traditional financial investments that are still direct investments in the generation of future wealth.

I still have no idea what you mean by direct investment. It's not a phrase that people use. Did you make it up?

Can you give some specific examples other than your kid's education? Like those "traditional financial investments that are still direct investments in the generation of future wealth."

• Locked thread