Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Don't know what it is, but there's always something comforting about hearing Chris Metzen doing Thrall's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Poil posted:

Lord of the Clans. There are even gameplay videos of it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNFrbpOSTE

Not gonna lie, I actually really like the sound of Clancy Brown as Thrall.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BlazetheInferno posted:

And to continue this little thought, some balance changes over the course of patches DID make it into the campaigns; for example, an ability for a hero we'll see later, Storm Bolt, was usable on many different types of targets; this was made use of in a mission during the campaign. However, a later patch disallowed Storm Bolt from targetting mechanical units, which meant that a hint telling you to use Storm Bolt on the mission objective targets was now misleading, as you are no longer ABLE to use Storm Bolt on that target, having to resort to whatever ranged units you may have access to. I'll leave out the rest of the details for when we actually get that far.

Are you sure about that? Because if that's the mission I'm thinking of, Storm Bolt still worked last time I played through which was about a year ago.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Are you sure about that? Because if that's the mission I'm thinking of, Storm Bolt still worked last time I played through which was about a year ago.

If you're thinking of a particular mission with boats to sink, then the only way Storm Bolt will still work is if your game is un-patched; the boats are considered mechanical, and thus illegal targets for Storm Bolt after the patch that changed that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh hey, nice to see someone take a crack at this ball of madness again. Definitely going to follow this.

BlazetheInferno posted:

If you're thinking of a particular mission with boats to sink, then the only way Storm Bolt will still work is if your game is un-patched; the boats are considered mechanical, and thus illegal targets for Storm Bolt after the patch that changed that.
How in the literal gently caress does a wooden ship get classified as a mechanical unit? :psyduck:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

AradoBalanga posted:

How in the literal gently caress does a wooden ship get classified as a mechanical unit? :psyduck:

Them, and rams, and catapults. It's a simplification, just roll with it.

Poil posted:

Lord of the Clans. There are even gameplay videos of it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNFrbpOSTE

Read an article about it. Everyone had loved the idea of it, and they'd voiced a lot of the lines, gotten the story ready but the game just didn't fit in well. And because they were developing everything from scratch (and Blizzard didn't have much experience with Point-and-Click adventure games), by the time they had a playable demo, the industry was already moving on to 3D, and better graphics. "Lord of the Clan" looked outdated.

Still, at least they were able to get free publicity for Thrall himself, so that by the time WC3 came out, he was already one of the better known characters despite not having appeared in a game before.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BlazetheInferno posted:

I just made sure Warcraft III was fully updated and tested.

The ships weren't considered mechanical, probably specifically to allow Storm Bolt to work.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

DoubleNegative posted:

: Be wary, my warriors. Don't let nightfall dull your senses.

I love the dissonance here.

"Do not let night dull your senses!"
"HINT - Night will dull their senses."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Everything that isn't a living creature is counted as mechanical. Undead have their own tag as well of course. It's how the game keeps track on what affects what. For example a mechanical unit, like say a catapult, can't be targeted by a heal or bloodlust spell but it can be repaired.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I just made sure Warcraft III was fully updated and tested.

The ships weren't considered mechanical, probably specifically to allow Storm Bolt to work.

Huh. That must be a recent thing then. Those ships were tagged as mechanical for a very long time. I just went in and checked myself, as well.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

bladeworksmaster posted:

For those interested, I would highly recommend the music tracks that play over the game, the Orc Map themes are particularly good.

Man, it'll be AGES before we can hear the best track.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I never actually played Warcraft III, I just watched an obsessed friend of mine play it a lot. I do just want to say that :drat: the art in this game holds up really well 16 years later. Even the font is good, and that's unusual for 2002.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Eric the Mauve posted:

I never actually played Warcraft III, I just watched an obsessed friend of mine play it a lot. I do just want to say that :drat: the art in this game holds up really well 16 years later. Even the font is good, and that's unusual for 2002.

The Warcraft series has always aimed for stylised graphics instead of high definition/fidelity, which has caused them to age a whole lot better than their contemporaries.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Chapter III: Departures

Hello everyone, welcome back to Warcraft 3. So now that we've got a lot of the housekeeping out of the way, the rest of this LP is going to proceed very differently. I mentioned in the OP that this was going to be narrative, and this is where that comes into play.

But before I introduce the player surrogate for the orcs, let's take a look at the map screen for this mission. Thrall is still in the Hillsbrad Foothills, and is within sight of the Thoradin Wall that borders the Arathi Highlands. The nearest ocean is far to the south from where he currently is, or alternatively far to the west, across half of the entire continent.

My point is that he's nowhere near the coast, in spite of what this map would have you believe.

: Then we must prepare this camp immediately. I want my warriors to have food and proper lodgings when they arrive.
: Yes, Warchief.
: Warrior, has there been any word from Grom Hellscream? He and the Warsong clan were supposed to have been here by now.
: No, Warchief. We haven't heard from Hellscream in some time.
: drat it, Grom. Where the hell are you?

: Warchief, your advisor from the Frostwolves has arrived.
: Advisor? I didn't send for an advisor...
: Is that any way to greet your mentor, young one?
: Drek'thar! It's good to see you again, old friend.
: Would that I could say the same. If you would accept, I would like to handle matters here in the camp.
: I would be honored.

: Very well. You, peon, quit standing around and start mining some gold.
: Okie dokie...

: Each trip a peon makes to the mines will grant us 10 gold. This is the only mine on the map, but it has far more than we'll ever need.

: It's a good thing I brought a few Frostwolf peons along to help. I want two of you go mine some gold!

: I usually assign several peons to mine gold. Three peons to a mine has them constantly moving, while four or more always has at least one lazing around outside waiting for his turn.

: This is the Great Hall. It's the center of any Orc settlement. Peons are trained here, and it is here that harvested lumber and gold are processed. This building can also be upgraded into a proper Stronghold, or even a Fortress in time.

: Peons are relatively cheap to train, only requiring 90 pieces of gold and some food.

: All buildings have very thick armor that render them resistant to conventional attacks. The Great Hall in particular also supplies enough food to support several warriors in the field.

: Here is an overview of our supplies. We have 200 gold, 90 lumber, and our Burrows produce 20 portions of food. Each Peon only takes a single unit of food, but our other troops require more. We're also not paying any upkeep due to the small size of our camp.

There are three states of upkeep, none, low, and high. Upkeep is a flat tax on all income, designed to simulate the bureaucracy of managing a large army. Once you use above 40 unit supply, you enter low upeep where 30% of all resource gains gold income is simply lost. And once you're aove 70 unit supply, you enter high upkeep, where the game eats 60% of all income.

Poil posted:

Upkeep is only for gold, not wood.

You should avoid high upkeep situations as much as possible. The lone exception being if you're building up forces for a final assault on the enemy base, and you're sure you're going to win.

: Let's get another few Peons out here! We need to get this camp looking respectable.

Each building can train up to 7 units at a time. If you need more of them faster, then consider building a second barracks or whatever.

With the first new peons coming off the assembly line, let's take a look at their command card. The first 5 actions are familiar, but there's 3 new ones: Repair, Harvest, and Build.

Repair: Repairs the targeted structure. The yellow brackets mean you can right click the icon and the worker will automatically repair nearby damage buildings. Shortcut - Right Click the damaged structure.
Harvest: Harvests the selected resource. Shortcut - Right Click the resource you want to harvest.
Build - Builds a new building. Shortcut - B.

This command card is the same across all worker units in the game, so we won't need to cover it again. The Peon also has damage stats and armor, but there is (almost) never a case where your workers should be attacking anything. If that happens, you're in pretty bad shape and have probably already lost.

The lone exception is attacking trees. Because workers can do that. It wastes the resource, but also clears it out of the way. There are a few cases where you will want to do that, mostly to find whatever secret is hidden on the other side.

: You three new Peons, start harvesting some lumber over on the far side of the camp. And you, waiting outside the mine, come over here. I have a special job for you. There is a pile of lumber and stone in the Great Hall. I want you to take some and build a Burrow.
: I can do dat.

This is the Build menu for Orcs. Starting in the top left we have...

Great Hall: We covered this earlier. 450 Gold/150 Lumber. 150 seconds build time.
Barracks: Train new military units. 260 Gold/70 Lumber. 60 seconds build time.
War Mill: Process lumber more efficiently than the Great Hall. Also upgrades weapons and armor. 240 Gold. 70 seconds build time.
Watch Tower: Automatically attacks nearby enemies. Requires the War Mill. 180 Gold/80 Lumber. 80 seconds build time.
Burrow: That small spiky structure you've seen in a few of these screenshots. Generates 10 food. In a pinch, Peons can also garrison inside these and attack whoever's attacking you. 170 Gold/50 Lumber. 70 seconds build time.
Altar of Storms: It's shown up in a couple screenshots so far. It's the building just south of the Great Hall. This building lets you revive your heroes (like Thrall) in case they die. In multiplayer maps, it also lets you summon heroes to use. 300 Gold/100 Lumber. 60 seconds build time.

Placing a new building is as simple as making sure the ghost footprint is entirely in the green before you click. Once you do, the worker will wander over and begin constructing the building.

If you have enough resources, you can also queue up multiple buildings by holding shift down as you place them. The worker will build them in the order that you put them down. Though you have to be careful when queuing them up, as workers in this game are dumb as hell and will happily build themselves into a corner. Also pictured, an unsuitable spot for the third burrow. Notice the red bottom corner.

Future missions won't be as in depth on the base building, but I felt it was necessary to explain everything at the start here.

: We seem to have plenty of gold to afford it... Peon! Yes, you chopping down that tree. I have a special job for you.
: Me?
: Yes, I want you to build a War Mill around where you're standing.
: Zug zug.

: Having a War Mill near where the Peons are chopping down trees will mean they will not have to drag the wood all the way back to the Great Hall anymore. They'll work much faster as a result.

: I see our camp has started to take shape.
: Yes. A Peon just finished constructing a War Mill, where the blacksmiths are already hard at work developing sharper weapons and thicker armor for our warriors.

: Excellent.
: I have also sent a couple Peons off to the edge of the camp to build some watch towers for added security.

: Most excellent, old friend. Those watch towers will hopefully spot the Warsong clan before they arrive.

A favored strategy of mine is walling off my base and placing watch towers along the only means of ingress. Any assaults by the enemy are easily repelled by the combined might of six watch towers and a few ground units for support. It's not enough to stop a full blown invasion, but it does smooth things over quite a bit.

: Warchief, you will be pleased to know that a Peon has just been dispatched to set up a barracks. Within the day we will be able to train new warriors to help defend the camp.
: That is a relief to hear, Drek'thar. I was growing worried that humans would find our settlement and try to arrest everyone. Again.

: That is not all, Warchief. Once we have enough resources stockpiled, I will have the Peons build a second barracks to help get grunts on the field twice as fast.
: I want you to train up five grunts as soon as possible. I'm going to take them and go scouting. Grom's continued absence has me worried.
: Of course, Warchief.

We covered grunts in the last map. But here's their stats. These numbers are each with a single gear upgrade, but it's not too shabby. These guys are the backbone of our army, though they are fairly expensive as far as basic units go. (200 Gold/3 Food each)

Thrall, and the mission in general, both asked for 5 grunts. But we're going to be a bit clever. See, the second half of the mission starts when you train the 5th one. So instead we're going to take the first four and go scouting.

There's only a single path jutting off to the side, about midway down the eastern half of the level.

Up the cliff and down the other side, we find a small group of gnolls. Like the second red arrow implies, there's more off to the right from this first initial group. Coming upon them at night was actually a stroke of serendipity. It means we won't alert the second group.

: Let none survive, my brothers!

: Is everybody in place? Good. On my count, charge in screaming at the top of your lungs.

: FOR THE HORDE!

When the large gnoll dies, it drops a Scroll of Healing. (150 HP restored to all units near the hero that uses it.)

: Warchief, our scouts report that there is a human settlement across the river. They're amassing a small force while their workers rebuild the bridge.

: Set up a defensive line between these two towers, my warriors. We will surprise the humans if they dare cross into our territory.

With Thrall and the grunts in place, the fifth one finishes his training, triggering a cutscene.

: You're making a mistake, human. Don't cross that bridge. Your laws don't apply to us.
: *takes one step closer*
: I'm giving you the chance to walk away from this.
: Do you hear that men? The orc is going to let us walk away. PRIVATE! What do we say in response?
: The only good orc is a dead orc!

: Warchief, they say they've captured one of our leaders! Maybe they're referring to Grom?
: I hope not. But if they have captured Hellscream, I'll make them regret it! Lok-Tar Ogar! Come, my warriors! We must drive the humans back!

The map starts with these two towers near the bridge. By themselves they won't stop all the attackers. But backed up by some grunts and Thrall...

The fifth grunt arrives too late to do anything but grin at the camera.

We also get a new objective to rescue Grom.

: The humans have attacked us for the last time. My warriors, these humans have captured our brothers, and they intend to send them back to the internment camps. Let none survive!

: Thrall, we should burn those towers. If we don't, the humans inside will be able to spy on our troop movements.
: Agreed. Warriors, burn the towers!

Buildings have "fortified" armor, which take reduced damage from everything but siege weaponry. Though they don't stand up long to a group of angry grunts beating on them with axes.

Like the rest of the tutorial, the human camp is a linear path. There aren't even any interesting detours. So it's a straight shot to the first roadblock.

We'll learn this soon enough in the Human campaign, but their basic watch towers can't attack. So all they're good for is, like Drek'thar warned, spying on troop movements. They can be upgraded, but that's getting way ahead of myself. Let's just focus on the glorified cutscene mission instead.

The gates, like the note in the above screenshot suggested, can be destroyed.

: Be wary, warriors. Our brothers could be anywhere. Keep your eyes open.

The captured orcs are all held in cages along the path ahead. They're all also guarded by nearby troops.

: My life for the Horde!

A short ways up the road, another footman guarding a cage.

: For the Horde!

The shaman is a support spellcaster. Besides Purge, they can also learn another helpful spell later on, but that's getting way ahead of myself. For now, he's another ranged attacker to hang back with Thrall.

The rest of this mission is basically a preview of what we're going to be using in the coming campaign. These guys firing guns are the basic ranged unit, Dwarven Riflemen.

This is the last group of cages in the mission. Two footmen is pretty paltry against our force of eight orcs.

The cages had two more grunts and another shaman. So now with 8 grunts and two shaman backing him up, Thrall is as prepared as he'll ever be to rescue Grom.

These two guys on horses are the humans' heavy unit: the knight. Knights are really powerful and have a lot of health, making these two something like the final boss for the tutorial. It doesn't matter, though. Eleven units are enough to completely overwhelm them.

In the end, the murderball pretty much supersedes conventional tactics on Normal difficulty. Though I'm not sure what strategy you'd even use against two knights. Maybe hit and run with judicious use of Purge? That doesn't sound fun or particularly orc-y.

Anyway, long story short, the two knights die surrounded, being beaten to death by a bunch of orcs. Past the gate they were guarding is...

Three towers around a circle of power. Though these towers are different from the other four.

There's arrows sticking out the windows at the top. These are guard towers, not watch towers. Guard towers shoot arrows at nearby enemies, like the orc watch towers. They're not a problem as long as you don't Leeroy past them and group everybody up on the circle of power.

No problem at all!

Once the last tower falls, the mission is over.

: Grom, are you all right?

: Great, 'cause we're getting out of here now. We're leaving the human lands for good.

: We can set sail on the humans' own ships.
: Perfect. But we'll need to wait for the rest of the Horde--

So yeah, I have no idea where Thrall is meant to have sailed out from. I have guesses, but none of them make any sense. I'm probably thinking too hard about it, but that's gonna be the kind of LP this is. So consider this your final warning. I'm gonna be shamelessly dissecting Warcraft lore in this thread.

I'll keep these in unless nobody really wants to see them. Maybe someone will find it interesting. :shrug:

NEXT TIME: The Warning

(Yes I know there's a continuation of this particular campaign. I'll cover them at an appropriate time later.)

Highlight Reel

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 27, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Upkeep is only for gold, not wood. And it's five peons to a goldmine. For shame! :v:

I've always wondered why they give you shamans for this mission, they're terrible at fighting and purge does nothing to help you.

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 25, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Poil posted:

Upkeep is only for gold, not wood. And it's five peons to a goldmine. For shame! :v:

I've always used three peons as well. Is the constant standing around and use of food really worth it?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

I've always wondered why they give you shamans for this mission, they're terrible at fighting and purge does nothing to help you.

I think it's just to introduce the concept of ranged units without also introducing trolls, since trolls weren't interned with the orcs.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ah, mechanics! I love talk about game mechanics. Fluff's okay, but I do love the crunch.

Was this the first game to have upkeep? I don't ever remember seeing it in any other RTS. It was kinda annoying, but I dunno, it was supposed to make keeping a big old army expensive to keep all the time? Did that really work out?

By the way, something that all of the Blizzard RTS's were known for were that units would say funny things the longer that we clicked on them!

Want me to look those up and post them for units that we encounter? Not for these ones, because this is the tutorial, but from next mission onwards?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Poil posted:

Like its been said above it was to give you a basic ranged unit. Earlier in the tutorial thrall commented on having kicked out the forest trolls from the horde, so its without a basic ranged unit until those missions mentioned at the end of the update.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cythereal posted:

I think it's just to introduce the concept of ranged units without also introducing trolls, since trolls weren't interned with the orcs.

Yeah and this is before they realised that having spellcasters also do respectable ranged damage as well as having powerful spells was a wee bit broken. That's another of the major balance updates that only made it in with the expansion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Always five peons. Always.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

painedforever posted:

Was this the first game to have upkeep? I don't ever remember seeing it in any other RTS. It was kinda annoying, but I dunno, it was supposed to make keeping a big old army expensive to keep all the time?

It was specifically put in this game because the meta in starcraft was "make as many mans as possible as fast as possible", but wc3 was designed to be a game focused more on micro-management vs macro-management and they wanted to encourage people that they can do more with a lot less in this game.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

darealkooky posted:

It was specifically put in this game because the meta in starcraft was "make as many mans as possible as fast as possible", but wc3 was designed to be a game focused more on micro-management vs macro-management and they wanted to encourage people that they can do more with a lot less in this game.
Also, heroes. Part of their major design intent was for hero management to be a key part of the game and that works a lot better without murderballs of 70 grunts running around.

painedforever posted:

By the way, something that all of the Blizzard RTS's were known for were that units would say funny things the longer that we clicked on them!

Want me to look those up and post them for units that we encounter? Not for these ones, because this is the tutorial, but from next mission onwards?
I hope someone does (whether you or Double), because the unit commentaries are some of the best humor the game has to offer.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would personally say that Thrall set sail down a river and out onto the open ocean myself. Based on that map.

I am assuming that Grom and the Warsong got caught out somewhere as the Horde moved East so you go back West the way they came and end up at a river port near where it would come out to the ocean.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Can we talk about backstory lore things that aren't directly related to the game? A.K.A, the origin of Orcs and their own homeplanet, Azeroth before the events in the manual, etc...?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Cythereal posted:

The original Horde trolls ran off to fester in their hatred however long it took to get to world of warcraft and then they became a WoW raid.

Its depressing how many characters that actually applies too, now that I think about it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Klaus88 posted:

The original Horde trolls ran off to fester in their hatred however long it took to get to world of warcraft and then they became a WoW raid.

Its depressing how many characters that actually applies too, now that I think about it.

Not to worry, Blizzard occasionally decides oh wait they were totally good guys all along and the players were short-sighted morons for doing those quests and playing those raids.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Siegkrow posted:

Can we talk about backstory lore things that aren't directly related to the game? A.K.A, the origin of Orcs and their own homeplanet, Azeroth before the events in the manual, etc...?

I just remember the big retcon that WoW made to this game’s manual re:the Eredar/Draenei.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
In this map I prepare for the human attack by putting every new building by the river. that way I can use garrisoned peons as well as all five grunts for the defense.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The big reason people go for five peons/peasants is because that's the magic number where, assuming your hall is as close as possible to the mine, there is always a peon inside with minimum standing around. Any less and there will be gaps where there's no one inside, resulting in wasted mine-time, resulting in slower gold income.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah and this is before they realised that having spellcasters also do respectable ranged damage as well as having powerful spells was a wee bit broken. That's another of the major balance updates that only made it in with the expansion.

Even better, this particular spellcaster has a powerful spell that makes whoever it's cast on (and it can cast it on itself as well as others) even better at autoattacking. So a lot of people would just spam nothing but Shamans.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Siegkrow posted:

Azeroth was the human kingdom in the first game. IIRC, Dranei is the name of the original Orc homeworld. It's kind of interesting that Warcraft's orcs are either space aliens or dimensional travelers, rather than just those warmongering assholes who live next door that nobody likes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Commander Keene posted:

Azeroth was the human kingdom in the first game. IIRC, Dranei is the name of the original Orc homeworld. It's kind of interesting that Warcraft's orcs are either space aliens or dimensional travelers, rather than just those warmongering assholes who live next door that nobody likes.

Draenor is the orc homeworld.

Surprisingly few significant races in Warcraft are actually genuinely native to this planet - the trolls and by extension the elves, the pandaren (and their furbolg relatives), and the tauren family. Orcs, ogres, and draenei are straight up aliens from other planets. Humans, dwarves, gnomes, and goblins are all descended from robots other aliens brought with them.

And the orcs and ogres are descended from robots those same robot-building aliens brought to Draenor, they're not truly native to that planet, either. :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Since we're in a lore-y mood, here's the first writeup. It may be a tad dry, but I also tried to recap a 300 page novel in a handful of paragraphs.

Lore Corner I

With the Orcs having set sail for Kalimdor, let's touch on a few of the characters and concepts introduced by those first two levels. First off, there were four major characters introduced, and five general concepts...

Thrall, The Prophet, Drek'thar, and Grom Hellscream. As well as the idea of The Demons, Internment Camps, Shamanism, and obliquely The First and Second Wars.

As a warning, some things I've deliberately omitted for the time being, and some things I've typed from vague memories from books I haven't read in more than 10 years. As always, feel free to correct any of this.

So let's start from the top! Thrall's tale will cover most of the important bits.

- Young Warchief of the Orcish Horde. His parents were Durotan and Draka, the leaders of the Frostwolf Clan. For defying a powerful warlock named Gul'dan, they were murdered in the wilderness, and baby Thrall was left to die alone. A passing human noble was out hunting and followed the crying. He saved the young orc, but kept him as a slave, giving him the name of Thrall.

This noble was Aedelas Blackmoore, and he was in charge of the internment camps in which orcs were kept as captives. Thrall was trained as a gladiator and made to fight for the amusement of Blackmoore and other human nobility. During this time, his only friend was a young servant named Teretha Foxton.

Eventually Taretha helped Thrall to escape from Durnholde Keep, and he fled into the nearby mountains where he found orcs who had not been captured at the end of the second war, who were led by Grom Hellscream. Grom took a liking to Thrall and taught him about his people, and revealed to him that he was from the Frostwolf Clan. He even told Thrall where he could find their remnants.

Thrall traveled to the Frostwolves and earned their trust, and it was there he met Drek'thar. The old shaman trained Thrall to speak with the spirits and to wield the elements as necessary. Eventually Thrall decided to free his brothers from the camps and bring the gift of the orcs' old religion back to them.

Grom Hellscream supported this decision, and so the two of them set about sneaking into the camps and freeing the captive orcs. It was in one of these camps that Thrall met the old Warchief, and close personal friend of his father, Orgrim Doomhammer.

He continued liberating orcs from these camps until one raid went badly and Doomhammer was mortally wounded by a vindictive human officer. Thrall responded by completely obliterating the camp with the help of the Spirits. Doomhammer passed on the mantle of Warchief to Thrall, and gave him his personal armor and his eponymous hammer.

Siegkrow posted:

A few small corrections: while doomhammer was caught at the end of the second war, he easily escaped and tried to rouse the orcs from the internment camps, but found them in some kind of lethargy. He couldn't house them, he went into the wilderness and became a hermit, only to come back to the frostwork yes upon hearing about a young orc that was reorganizing the orcs.

Thrall didn't destroy the camp in which doomhammer died, or at least not completely, it still stands today as the horde affiliated settlement now renamed "Hammerfall"

Finally Thrall returned to Durnholde. By this point, Blackmoore had discovered it was Taretha who helped Thrall escape, and in a drunken rage he had her executed in front of the gathered Horde. Thrall destroyed the camp, killed Blackmoore, and freed the last of his brothers from captivity.

Warcraft III picks up shortly after that point.

- A wandering prophet who warns everyone he meets about the coming darkness. He ______________________ ________________________________________________ ________________________ ______________________ _____________________________________ ____________________ _________________________ ________________________________ __________________________ _________________________ _________ and was __________ _____________________________________ ________________ _______________________________ ______________________ _________________ ____________________ _______________________________ __________________ of that_____________ _____________________ ________________________ by the ________ __________________ ________________ _______________.

He is _______________ desperately trying to warn everyone and everything about the return of the Demons.

- Current chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan, and one of Thrall's closest advisors. Drek'thar taught Thrall everything he knows about Shamanism.

- Thrall's best friend, and chieftain of the Warsong Clan. Grom is one of the few orcs who was never captured and put into an internment camp. He led several daring raids on Human strongholds before he met Thrall. A bit of a hothead. He was also the orc who damned their entire race to slavery to the demons.

Speaking of which...

The Demons - Maliciously evil creatures who desire nothing but the total extermination of everything that has ever and will ever live. Until their complete and total loss at the end of the second war, the orcs were one of the pawns the demons used in their omnicidal goal. The orc hordes were offered the gift of immense power and the ability to conquer all they desired. All they had to do was drink the blood of demons. Grom Hellscream was the first orc to do so.

Internment Camps - Following their total defeat at the end of the second war, the Alliance forces rounded up all the orcs they could find and marched them into internment camps for safekeeping. The orcs stayed there for nearly 20 years, living in ajbect squalor and barely surviving. At first the humans were worried that the orcs would be rioting constantly, but all of their fighting spirit had left them. It was not uncommon for otherwise healthy orcs to go to sleep at night and just not wake up the next morning. Thrall destroyed all of the existing camps and freed his people, and restored their spirits by reintroducing them to the spirits.

- Prior to their arrival on Azeroth, orcs were a deeply spiritual people. Each individual clan had a Far Seer who was their spiritual leader, and would speak to the spirits and ask for favors like "hey our crops need rain". This all changed when the Demons came, and the orcs drank from their blood. Shamanism was replaced with demon magic and necromancy.

When the orcs lost the second war, the demons abandoned them to their fates. So all the constant bloodlust they felt was replaced with nothing. It wasn't until Thrall demonstrated that the spirits had not forgotten them that they got their fighting spirit back. Shamans are now an integral part of the modern Horde.

The First and Second War - Going to keep this one brief, but basically... the orcs are originally from another world named Draenor. The first war occurred when they first crossed over into Azeroth, and was incredibly brutal. The humans lost, and they lost badly. Orcs infiltrated the castle and assassinated King Llaine, and shortly after that the humans' military buckled under mounting pressure.

They abandoned their lands and fled north to Lordaeron, led by Anduin Lothar. King Terenas of Lordaeron accepted the refugees and listened to their warnings that the orcs were following close behind. Lothar was put in charge of the Alliance forces, and in spite of all their preparations, they were still losing. In fact, the orcs were ready to besiege the Capital City when they mysteriously pulled all their forces back and raced toward the sea.

The humans would never know why, but the orcs had been betrayed by the Stormreaver Clan and their leader Gul'dan. Gul'dan was the orc who attracted the attention of the demons, and who had been the mastermind behind the first war. His betrayal cost the orcs their victory, and the humans' comeback was merciless and swift. The orcs were soundly beaten all the way back to the portal they first emerged from, and then that same portal was annihilated by a young mage named Khadgar.

A few months later, more portals opened up and a new band of orcs started staging raids and stealing artifacts. So the humans sent an expeditionary force to the orcs homeworld... and that was the last they ever heard from them. But the raids stopped shortly thereafter.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 27, 2018

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

A few small corrections: while doomhammer was caught at the end of the second war, he easily escaped and tried to rouse the orcs from the internment camps, but found them in some kind of lethargy. He couldn't house them, he went into the wilderness and became a hermit, only to come back to the frostwork yes upon hearing about a young orc that was reorganizing the orcs.

Thrall didn't destroy the camp in which doomhammer died, or at least not completely, it still stands today as the horde affiliated settlement now renamed "Hammerfall"

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

MagusofStars posted:

I hope someone does (whether you or Double), because the unit commentaries are some of the best humor the game has to offer.

Cool. So long as DoubleNegative doesn't mind, I'll post those for the units as they appear. From the next mission onwards. I want to leave the Orcs until their actual campaign starts. Um, that's not a spoiler, right?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's always amused me that Grom manages to evade capture famously for years only to wind up captured immediately in game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McTimmy posted:

It's always amused me that Grom manages to evade capture famously for years only to wind up captured immediately in game.

Grom is not a man anyone associates with long-term planning, and he thinks primarily with his murderboner. He is exceptionally good at killing things, but brings nothing else to the table as a leader.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Sooooo he's basically us, the players?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Also, while Grom did drink the blood of the demons it was not just him who damned the orcs. Most of the chieftains (Thrall’s Father was an exception) drank the demon blood at Gul’dan’s encouragement. The shamans of the orcs were duped into turning from the spirits to the demons. Ner’zhul, the mentor of Gul’dan was horrified at first but ended up doing nothing about it.

Doomhammer was another exception to drinking the demon blood. He claimed he was unworthy and the then-Warchief Blackhand bought the excuse. Gul’dan did not and watched him. During the First War Doomhammer killed Blackhand and became Warchief. When you play Warcraft 1 in the Orc Campaign (the canon ending for the game) you play as Doomhammer and take over the Horde. This was retconned later as being Doomhammer mistrusting Blackhand’s ties to the demons. In the original game it was pure ambition and all the orcs were made to appear as unambiguously evil backstabbing jerks. The novelizations changed things a bit to give nuance to the orcs. Anyways, that is why Doomhammer and Thrall did not succumb to the lethargy the other orcs fell to. Grom should have but his sheer crazy kept him going.

Grom was also a hero unit in Warcraft 2 and I loved his quotes in that game: https://youtube.com/watch?v=H2otwhR4HgA

Edit: Sorry if I am stealing your thunder. Let me know if you want me to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I loved the map editor in this game. It wasn't a full blown engine, but you could accomplish a lot with it. It was much more powerful than the original starcrafts, and much easier to use than starcraft 2's, which I think is why the custom game scene was so popular. While RoC's editor was powerful, the expansion increased its capabilities exponentially, then modders went and modded the editor to add even more.

After the campaign is through, it would be cool if you showed off some famous custom maps.

• Locked thread