Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JaVCG4jRn0

more game soundtracks need harpsichords dammit

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JaVCG4jRn0

more game soundtracks need harpsichords dammit

Harpsichord orcs best orcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRgFYLkZNQg

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Gotta say I've never been a fan of these missions - they drag on and this one and the next two have basically the same type of objective on slightly different maps.

The last part of the undead campaign is great though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

^--- Click for update.

Forums are still hosed, so here's the next update in the test poster again.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i know it's not ideal having to use the lpix server to post the updates instead of just putting it directly in the thread, but i actually kind of like it?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm curious as to who this Dar'Khan Drathir character is. I know he wasn't in WC3. I do like the added characters though.

AriadneThread posted:

i know it's not ideal having to use the lpix server to post the updates instead of just putting it directly in the thread, but i actually kind of like it?

It makes reading on mobile a lot harder, but it's a little better than having it in the thread when on a regular computer.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He’s a character from some of the expanded universe. To keep it quick and simple: he was one of the most powerful mages of Quel’thalas, and has a massive chip on his shoulder over his perceived lack of recognition for his thankless work. Anything beyond that kind of inherently involves spoiling what happens next mission.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah this mission is quite a hassle on Hard if you don't build an absolutely massive wall of Spirit Towers because Sylvanas attacks very aggressively and with multiple ballistae. Also the bases are even more well defended.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah this mission is quite a hassle on Hard if you don't build an absolutely massive wall of Spirit Towers because Sylvanas attacks very aggressively and with multiple ballistae. Also the bases are even more well defended.
I cringed at the grammar* until I remembered that she's actually defending a well :v:.

*jk I know what you mean ofc

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Crypt fiends! :argh:

Overpowered broken stinkbugs, they should all be squashed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The important take away from the Warcraft 3 campaigns is that even the well meaning can do great evil :downsrim:

Also we are now approaching our third mission involving this well. This one battle has taken up a good third of this campaign.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I never completed this battle on Hard, congrats to those who have.

That said, I too am very in favor of overwhelming force via Towers, Skeletons, Etc. I also tended to abuse Sappers and Zeppelins on this mission. Nice use of an expansion character to fill a plot hole.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 4, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FoolyCharged posted:

The important take away from the Warcraft 3 campaigns is that even the well meaning can do great evil :downsrim:

Also we are now approaching our third mission involving this well. This one battle has taken up a good third of this campaign.

it's okay though, we get the smoothest silkiest voice in the game as a reward.

edit:

Poil posted:

Crypt fiends! :argh:

Overpowered broken stinkbugs, they should all be squashed.

Yeah Crypt Fiends are really really good. Their damage isn't just a nice bonus, they're the primary ranged unit of the Scourge and they hit like trucks. They also have more health than Footmen despite Footmen being a frontline melee unit (550 vs 450 if I recall correctly) although less armour.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 4, 2018

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, this mission is what makes me upset that some of the expansion content (two inventory slots for a handful of infantry units like Footmen and Ghouls) didn't get backported to Reign of Chaos' campaigns. It would have made things so much easier to deal with regarding the titular Key of the Three Moons, since you have to drop some of Arthas' stuff in order to have room for the items, then pick them back up after the key is assembled.

Then again, Sylvanas' bull rushes are truly the most infuriating thing about this mission. She simply does not give up her attacks, and her blue forces follow the same suit as seen with that lone Sorceress pathetically trying to solo an entire base from afar. You could make the argument that Sylvanas acts kind of like a timer for the mission, in that she is set up to drain you of resources and delay your advance. Keep her alive for too long, and she'll almost certainly overwhelm you with attrition.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I do like the crypt fiends for breaking up the aesthetic of the Scourge a bit by showing that they're not just all bog-standard zombies, they're all sorts of gruesome monsters.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So I assume the Crypt Fiends are what those spider guys in Northrend got turned into?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Commander Keene posted:

So I assume the Crypt Fiends are what those spider guys in Northrend got turned into?

Quite so, they're called the Nerubians.

The spirit towers are also of their design, adapted for the Scourge's own purposes after crushing the Nerubian Empire.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Regalingualius posted:

I do like the crypt fiends for breaking up the aesthetic of the Scourge a bit by showing that they're not just all bog-standard zombies, they're all sorts of gruesome monsters.

I too enjoy the Scourge's equal-opportunity undead party. It's not just humanoids that can be re-animated!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Nevermind, pointless.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 4, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, this mission is what makes me upset that some of the expansion content (two inventory slots for a handful of infantry units like Footmen and Ghouls)

Wait, do people use that?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

lobster22221 posted:

Wait, do people use that?

War3 players can squeeze more micro out of anything. Getting a potion out to a hero while it does work on the map is a huge deal.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

wiegieman posted:

War3 players can squeeze more micro out of anything. Getting a potion out to a hero while it does work on the map is a huge deal.

Fair. I never really got into ladder, but my experience from sc2 makes me believe that.

On a not really related topic, I really like how Blizzard made warcraft 3 focus on higher HP units with active abilities to differentiate itself from starcraft's extremely expendable, but very large, armies.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

AriadneThread posted:

General Revil posted:

It makes reading on mobile a lot harder, but it's a little better than having it in the thread when on a regular computer.

It's fine as long as people don't start discussing the update in the very next post - easy to get spoiled if they do, though.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

It's fine as long as people don't start discussing the update in the very next post - easy to get spoiled if they do, though.

It's not really the spoilers. I just have a really cheap phone without a lot of RAM. Opening a link with chrome sometimes causes the something awful app to crash when I try to return to it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

achtungnight posted:

I never completed this battle on Hard, congrats to those who have.

That said, I too am very in favor of overwhelming force via Towers, Skeletons, Etc. I also tended to abuse Sappers and Zeppelins on this mission. Nice use of an expansion character to fill a plot hole.

The best way I found to win this on Hard is to build a ton of spirit towers around the waygates that lead to the elf fortresses. Duck in, take a couple of potshots to draw them in, and run back. Most of the elves follow you through the waygate and die when they come out in the middle of your towers. Then, with a big piece of the army gone, charge through before they can rebuild.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Have I mentioned that I love the Spirit Towers? They're towers, but they also increase pop-cap, so there's no downside to building them everywhere.

Not many new units, we're slowing up a bit. I think I'll add Sylvanas at least in my next post, as well as the other elvish units. None of their lines spoil anything, so it should be okay. But this one is for the Crypt Fiends
Line time!

Ready lines are used by units when they're produced.

What lines are used when they're initially selected.

Yes lines are used when they're given a move order.

Attack lines are used when they're given an attack order.

Warcry is used randomly for Attack when attacking hero characters. (Thanks to Drakenel for the correction)

Pissed is what you get when you keep clicking a unit and it exhausts the What lines.

Special is for builder units, and for certain special units, e.g. Uther, who is an AI-controlled character.

Crypt Fiend:

Ready
  • The sleeper awakes.

What
  • Proceed.
  • Make your choice.
  • You rang? (A reference to Lurch from The Addams Family.)
  • I await.

Yes
  • By Nerub.
  • What's done is done.
  • The time is now.
  • Yes, Master.
  • For the Spider Kingdom.

Attack
  • Be drained of life.
  • You may feel a sting.

Warcry
  • Fall before the Scourge!

Pissed
  • What a tangled web we weave. (A reference to Walter Scott)
  • Spider sense... tingling. (A reference to Spider-Man)
  • Last week my top half was on the Discovery Channel...
  • ...and my bottom half was on Animal Planet.
  • I like chicks that are into bandage...
  • I'm stuck on bandages 'cause bandages are stuck on me. (A play off the Band-Aid commercial.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The Nerubians/Crypt Fiends are the coolest thing about the Undead faction.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

lobster22221 posted:

On a not really related topic, I really like how Blizzard made warcraft 3 focus on higher HP units with active abilities to differentiate itself from starcraft's extremely expendable, but very large, armies.

Part of it is practicality. If you put the focus on high-HP units with high micro requirements, your game is less likely to get choked by unit populations in the three to four figure range.

Not that the vast majority of the Custom Maps gave a poo poo about that.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Kith posted:

Part of it is practicality. If you put the focus on high-HP units with high micro requirements, your game is less likely to get choked by unit populations in the three to four figure range.

Not that the vast majority of the Custom Maps gave a poo poo about that.

I think those same custom maps didn't understand much about game design in general.

2 billion agi hero with health so high that the number doesn't display? Seems good.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

lobster22221 posted:

I think those same custom maps didn't understand much about game design in general.

2 billion agi hero with health so high that the number doesn't display? Seems good.

how dare you talk poo poo about my super cool red-tinted frostmourne arthas that's totally zero from megaman <:mad:>

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

lobster22221 posted:

you don't even need health that high in maps like this, the dark secret of WC3 is that agility heroes are amazingly better than everything else in the engine and are only kept in check in the normal game by the stats/abilities they're given. it's a stat that does everything

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

darealkooky posted:

you don't even need health that high in maps like this, the dark secret of WC3 is that agility heroes are amazingly better than everything else in the engine and are only kept in check in the normal game by the stats/abilities they're given. it's a stat that does everything

True. At least map makers never figured out you could make movement speed scale with agility.

Editing to add random engine trivia, because I am looking through the gameplay constants and am bored.
Also, the editor puts a hard cap on food at 300. I know it was to try to prevent lag, but what a weird number choice.

Unit levels, which are only used to help players understand how powerful a unit is, have a maximum level of 20 in the adjustable game constants. Why is this a cap?

Another thing I never saw adjusted was the upkeep levels. It is very possible to define new upkeep levels and adjust income reduction.

For some reason, the slow from frost damage is apparently a gameplay constant rather than a ability specific thing.

Nerubian web piercing magic immunity is here also.

The engine will crash if you try to remove an upgrade from a player.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 5, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's actually a fair few ways to make the game crash. I know this because when people throw hissy fits on role playing maps which allow the player to basically edit things ingame, they like to crash the game (which crashes the game for all players present).

There are two I can remember. The first is if you level a Demon Hunter up to 6, use his ultimate ability, then give him the Mirror Image ability and use that it, that'll cause the game to crash. The second is if you give a building the ability to store units, put a hero unit in the building and then remove it from existence (not kill, remove. there's a difference), the hero will also be removed but their portrait will still be in the corner. Clicking the portrait will crash the game.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

There's actually a fair few ways to make the game crash. I know this because when people throw hissy fits on role playing maps which allow the player to basically edit things ingame, they like to crash the game (which crashes the game for all players present).

There are two I can remember. The first is if you level a Demon Hunter up to 6, use his ultimate ability, then give him the Mirror Image ability and use that it, that'll cause the game to crash. The second is if you give a building the ability to store units, put a hero unit in the building and then remove it from existence (not kill, remove. there's a difference), the hero will also be removed but their portrait will still be in the corner. Clicking the portrait will crash the game.

I never knew either of those.

Not really a crash, but there used to be a bug in JASS involving a function call that everyone who knew what they were doing(Not me) was using. Basically the parser only looked at the last return statement in the H2I function was correct, so you could do some weird stuff.

Once Blizzard patched it, a lot of interesting custom maps broke.

I don't remember there being many patches that broke backwards compatibility. Were there any others?

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 5, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Right. That's enough of a separation so I won't be double-posting. Let's get the elvish units!

The High Elves are not a complete faction, so they don't have a lot of units (or a lot of quotes). Sylvanas has lines (because of course she does). The Elvish Swordsmen re-use lines from the Human faction Priests. The archers use lines from a unit that will come up way later, but I'll re-post the lines there as well.

EDIT: I removed the worker lines. I think it's clear that it wasn't in the first campaign, and only wound up in one of the "new" factions in the expansion. Sorry about that, really.
Line time!

Ready lines are used by units when they're produced.

What lines are used when they're initially selected.

Yes lines are used when they're given a move order.

Attack lines are used when they're given an attack order.

Warcry is used randomly for Attack when attacking hero characters. (Thanks to Drakenel for the correction)

Pissed is what you get when you keep clicking a unit and it exhausts the What lines.

Special is for builder units, and for certain special units, e.g. Uther, who is an AI-controlled character.

High Elf Archer:

Ready
  • I stand ready.

What
  • Waiting on you.
  • Worth the wait.
  • On your mark.
  • Your move.

Yes
  • Say no more.
  • Done.
  • Fair enough.
  • All too easy.

Attack
  • I'll give it a shot.
  • Fire!
  • One shot, one kill.
  • Cry Havoc!

Warcry
  • By the light of the moon!

Pissed
  • Ooh. I'm all a-quiver.
  • Fear my leet skills. (A reference to 1337 speak.)
  • Let's move. Five meter spread, no sound. (A reference to the movie Predator)
  • I'm more than a ranger. I'm a night ranger. (A reference to the rock band Night Ranger)
  • My release date's been changed! (A reference to Blizzard's frequently changing release schedule)
  • I'm not just some plucky girl you can string along.
  • Shot through the heart, and I'm to blame. (A reference to the song "You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi)
  • I said a bow-string, not a G… *sigh* Nevermind.

High Elf Swordsman:

Ready
  • I come to cleanse this land.

What
  • Yes my friend?
  • Is my aid required?

Yes
  • Of course!
  • I am your servant!
  • As you wish.
  • Right away.

Attack
  • Now feel my wrath!
  • Begone, spawn of darkness!

Warcry
  • For the memory of Quel'Thalas!

Sylvanas Windrunner alive:

What
  • I've got no time for games.
  • I have a land to defend.
  • We elves are not easy prey.
  • You dare threaten me?

Warcry
  • For Quel'Thalas!

Pissed
  • I'm the Ranger General of this land.
  • I can hit a bird in the eye, flying.
  • None may threaten the Elflands.
  • You'll regret ever entering my forests.
  • Come taste the wrath of the elves.

painedforever fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 5, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

painedforever posted:

• Probability of success: Zero.

That right there is probably one of my favorite unit lines in this game. It's just the flat "well, I'm hosed" tone that makes it absolutely hilarious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Okay, the High Elven Archer's warcry makes it clear which unit it steals from.

But what about the High Elven Worker? How far along were Blizzard in planning the expansion? Were these voice lines actually in game on release?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Torrannor posted:

Okay, the High Elven Archer's warcry makes it clear which unit it steals from.

But what about the High Elven Worker? How far along were Blizzard in planning the expansion? Were these voice lines actually in game on release?

That is weird to me too. Tower defenses were definitely popular, but how could blizzard of known that before Reign of Chaos was released. You never control Elven Workers in Reign of Chaos, I'd guess that if you went through the pain in the rear end steps to open up the specific map for the campaign, they would have no assigned sounds.

Bigger spoiler/question
If you get a banshee to possess a high elven worker inside the RoC campaign, does it have a sound set?

I'm going to try this out.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tower Defenses were already a thing in Starcraft, weren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Yeah, that is true. I think they were more popular in wc3 though.

So, apparently the elf workers are just called peasants in the campaign, and have peasant voices apparently. The sound set mentioned is expansion only.

It could be a modifed set with only a few voice lines, but I don't think peasants say anything human specific and I didn't test too much.

Thank god for warpten and whosyourdaddy.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 5, 2018

• Locked thread