Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

lobster22221 posted:

That is weird to me too. Tower defenses were definitely popular, but how could blizzard of known that before Reign of Chaos was released. You never control Elven Workers in Reign of Chaos, I'd guess that if you went through the pain in the rear end steps to open up the specific map for the campaign, they would have no assigned sounds.

Bigger spoiler/question
If you get a banshee to possess a high elven worker inside the RoC campaign, does it have a sound set?

I'm going to try this out.

Yeah, Tower Defense caught my eyes. But I'm also surprised by the the Blood Elf Engineers Union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, Tower Defense caught my eyes. But I'm also surprised by the the Blood Elf Engineers Union.

Did they actually make it canon in WoW? That would be hilarious, and actually be a legitimately good bit of world building.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh f***. Right, I can see that. I went right past it, and didn't notice.

How's about I remove those?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

painedforever posted:

Oh f***. Right, I can see that. I went right past it, and didn't notice.

How's about I remove those?

or at least spoiler code the spoilery ones.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, yeah, but y'all did point out rightly that the elvish workers' lines reference stuff from after Reign of Chaos.

I think it's probable that the workers here don't use the worker lines that I put down. They might use the generic human villager lines, or they might not, but I guess I'll have to do some real research to find out.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I know there were originally supposed to be six factions in the original game. I assume one was the Burning Legion. Were the High Elves supposed to be the other? Those are the only two that are quasi-factions in the original game.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I would have enjoyed playing as High Elves or Burning Legion. Too bad they were cut. I blame whoever decided there should be a canon story linking the campaigns.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
at one point goblins were going to be one of the factions

it's probably for the best they only ended up making 4, every faction had so many options and abilities and little quirks that it took blizzard ages to make the game even semi balanced

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

painedforever posted:

Well, yeah, but y'all did point out rightly that the elvish workers' lines reference stuff from after Reign of Chaos.

I think it's probable that the workers here don't use the worker lines that I put down. They might use the generic human villager lines, or they might not, but I guess I'll have to do some real research to find out.

I tested it out in the next campaign mission. They use peasant lines.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kinda sucks to find out you've clawed into the backline but missed the obvious staging area. At least they're letting you at the upgrades now.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

lobster22221 posted:

I tested it out in the next campaign mission. They use peasant lines.

Thanks Lobster. You're the best.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

painedforever posted:

Thanks Lobster. You're the best.

Actually some of your other posts reminded me that there are generic villager lines. They are not very interesting, but they do exist. I'll look them up.

Edit:

So, there are 4 types of villagers. 2 villager males, 1 child villager, and 1 villager female.

As far as I can tell, they only have What responses.

Villager man 1

What
  • Greetings friend
  • Welcome to our village
  • Hello There

Villager man 2(Has a different voice)

What
  • Hello
  • Welcome to our village
  • It's an honor to meet you
  • Greetings your highness
  • Have you met my daughter?
  • How you doin (Sounds like a reference to friends, including tone)

Villager Woman

What
  • Hello
  • Welcome to our village
  • Greetings my lord
  • Welcome to our village

Villager Child

What
  • Hello
  • Hey
  • I'm four
  • Who are you?
  • What's your name?

There are two variations of men, women, and children. Weirdly the second female model is classified as a human unit, while the rest are considered neutral. She is also an elf, which is probably why, but still one of those weird things going on with the engine.

On another note, there are 9 variations on the elf buildings you see in these missions. All of them seperate unit types.

Unlike decorations, each unit can only have 1 assigned model. Decorations can have randomly placed variations.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 6, 2018

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The elf villager woman is probably located under the humans' tab because she only shows up as an enemy unit during these missions. The other villagers fall under neutral because they're part of neutral factions in the human missions.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

McTimmy posted:

The elf villager woman is probably located under the humans' tab because she only shows up as an enemy unit during these missions. The other villagers fall under neutral because they're part of neutral factions in the human missions.

Ah, that would make sense.

Edit because it is rude to double post:

If the warcraft 3 mapmaking community was still active they would be salivating with the new update.
The increased mapsize is whatever because there were already ways to do that.

However the update also added the ability to update tooltips icons and hero names , an easy and more usable way to get mouse location, adjust a units armor(This was possibly through very heavy abuse of the ability system and a lot of code), adjust damage(By the way, did you know warcrafts damage is set up as a dice system?), and adjust unit health and mana pools.

Seriously some big updates along with removal of arbitrary engine limitations.

Remember how I said the max food was 300? Its 999 now.
Max gold is increased too.

Upgrades still can't be changed I'd guess.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 11, 2018

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Max food 999? How big an army.could you field with that?

Oh poo poo they still have the 12 units to a squad rule, right? Imagine microing like 300 units.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
You could always make an army of infinite dudes just by setting food to 0.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh, that new patch came with a new installer. The expansion and main game share it and it has the bet apps asthetic.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It also added the ability to switch between RoC and TFT ingame.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Siegkrow posted:

Max food 999? How big an army.could you field with that?

Oh poo poo they still have the 12 units to a squad rule, right? Imagine microing like 300 units.

Funny thing, some custom maps do give you like 300 units to manage. Its about as fun as you expect.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Klaus88 posted:

Funny thing, some custom maps do give you like 300 units to manage. Its about as fun as you expect.

I remember some older maps and sc1 maps that just gave up and add a circle of power that would issue an attack move command to a different section of the map to all your units.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The only thing I read was "Widescreen".

I wonder if my keys still work...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
So with the new patch out, and widescreen support available, I'm gonna put this up to an informal vote. Would you all like me to upgrade to the new version? Screenshots would probably go from 800x600 (4:3) to 800x450 (16:9). The different image size would be the only change that we'd ever see any good from due to the way the campaign is isolated from all balances changes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If it works for you, go for it. I'm not sure the aspect ratio will make all that much of a difference to the LP.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Your choice. I’m sure the LP will be great quality either way.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

If the game.will run better for you, go ahead.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It's up to you. We might see some things in cinematics we weren't meant to at the sides of the screen, but other than that, it won't affect much.

Although worth noting, don't be confused when you update, and get into game and it's still 4:3, the menu screens are not widescreen, but in-game it will be!

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I only really care about content you and the rest of the thread are putting out. Its fun learning about development, lore, balance, and details I never knew. The graphics don't really matter to me.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Do it if you'd like!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

If it works for you, go for it. I'm not sure the aspect ratio will make all that much of a difference to the LP.
This. If DN hadn’t said anything, I very well might not have noticed.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

would the upgrade make capturing the cinematics any less of a pain in the butt?

i say go with what ever's easier for you

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DoubleNegative posted:

The different image size would be the only change that we'd ever see any good from due to the way the campaign is isolated from all balances changes.

Really?

Doesn't seem to be much point, then. I'd just apply the same rule we use for enterprise applications; if it isn't a security fix, and your environment is stable, don't mess with it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Do whatever works better for you. The LP already looks good, and the patch won't improve the best part of it, your writing. :)

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torrannor posted:

Do whatever works better for you. The LP already looks good, and the patch won't improve the best part of it, your writing. :)

Pretty much this. WC3 is a sufficiently pretty game, and we're here to see how everything works with the characters you add to the game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I really hope this isn't dead. :(

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I hope the same.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Azur started his up again so it might be. Only one may live at a time :ohdear:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

It's the curse! It's the curse! It's the Sylvanas curse!

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Maybe warcraft lp's go by highlander rules?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tashilicious posted:

Azur started his up again so it might be. Only one may live at a time :ohdear:

Every WC3 LP to date has fallen apart during this sequence of missions.

Those elves really don't want the Scourge here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Secretly, the High Elves have the mightiest of defenses around the Sunwell. The LP Curse.

• Locked thread