Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Or, heck, try doing anything other than crash an important quorum between important heads of state like some kind of lunatic with at best sketchy motives and at worst plans to kill the bunch of them. Maybe approach one of them, in private, and bring some evidence. Have a conversation with someone.

I love that this LP exists, by the way. But it also makes me feel old. I played this game when I was in high school so to me it feels modern and new and how come people don't know the story of this new and popular game surely everyone has played? But... no, the game came out almost 16 years ago. There is an entire generation of new gamers that were too young to play this game in the first place and only vaguely know it exists because of WoW and Hearthstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I mean, the secret behind Warcraft's success is that, when it comes down to it, the setting actually is pretty cool. Visually, primarily, but even the story, ludicrous and repetitive (let's spin the Wheel of Corruption to see who gets it this expansion!) as it may be, has something viscerally appealing to it and people keep coming back to it again and again. But come on, Blizzard, Warcraft IV when?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It's honestly on about the same level in Warcrafts 1-3; they're more team colors than anything else. At the beginning of WoW, the only human/orc factions that had any real presence at all were Stormwind for the humans and the Warsong/Blackrock/Frostwolf for the orcs, so those got a little bit of personality - if only because they were the only ones really around. All the rest had basically nothing until Warlords of Draenor hit and suddenly all the orc clans have a unique leader and something of a schtick going for them. Blizzard also released around that time a set of books about the pre-history of the universe before the games that flesh out the backstories of a lot of the factions.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

If I recall correctly, politics got between them. Arthas is the crown prince of Lordaeron, Jaina's dad is an important guy in Kul Tiras (can't remember if he was the leader or what) so a relationship between them would have had consequences.

Jaina's dad is Daelin Proudmoore, the king of Kul Tiras and Grand Admiral of the alliance fleet in Warcraft 2.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

lobster22221 posted:

More edit: Mechagnomes are apparently a thing. The wiki then lead me to learn of mechanostriders, which look like mechanical chocobos. My respect for WoW lore has increased with this beautiful knowledge.

You may also be interested in one of the other racial mounts, which is literally a chocobo.

Yeah, humans, dwarves and gnomes are all descended from mechanical golems created by the Titans, struck by the curse of flesh that... well, turned them to flesh.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I don't think the Naaru are the source of the Light so much as deeply connected to it, whatever it is, on some fundamental level. Like, Ragnaros and the other Elemental Lords aren't the source of the four "normal" elements, but they are of the elements as well as incredibly ancient and powerful. It's never been clarified really, but I think comparing the Naaru (and their shadow counterparts) to them gets you pretty close. Much like a shaman can harness elemental magic, a priest or paladin can harness light magic, and at no point does a fire elemental/naaru need to be personally involved.

• Locked thread