Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

jit bull transpile posted:

I mean, what else can you do when you have a university that shelters a rapist, and a government that covers the university's rear end by locking the victims out of fighting for change if the want deserved compensation? That's a virtuous cycle of institutional corruption that can only be fixed by tearing out the roots.

Correct, except the hard thing about tearing out roots is that they're tangled up with everything else's roots and also there are already a bunch of seeds laying on the ground so the same thing is going to grow back the next spring anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

General Dog posted:

Correct, except the hard thing about tearing out roots is that they're tangled up with everything else's roots and also there are already a bunch of seeds laying on the ground so the same thing is going to grow back the next spring anyway.

That's why you use fire. There's some sort of prairie metaphor in here somewhere.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why is the government trying to cover the university's rear end? They should be the ones helping to nail the pricks responsible to the wall.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PT6A posted:

Why is the government trying to cover the university's rear end? They should be the ones helping to nail the pricks responsible to the wall.

It's a public university and there's a revolving door between government and high paying university admin positions in most state college systems.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

It's a public university and there's a revolving door between government and high paying university admin positions in most state college systems.

I see... well, I think that can safely be burnt entirely to the ground.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

That's why you use fire. There's some sort of prairie metaphor in here somewhere.

I’m involved in prairie restoration so if you want me to extend the metaphor by referencing seed banks, uncontrolled vs controlled burns, microbial biome, and European invasives, I’m there.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

a virtuous cycle of institutional corruption

i don't think that term means what you think it does

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

suck my woke dick posted:

i don't think that term means what you think it does

I think he may be using it in a sarcastic fashion.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TheBalor posted:

I think he may be using it in a sarcastic fashion.

She, and no. "virtuous cycle" means a cyclical process that is self perpetuating. I know some prescriptivists argue that cycles with negative effects should only be called "vicious cycles", but I ain't no prescriptivist.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

She, and no. "virtuous cycle" means a cyclical process that is self perpetuating. I know some prescriptivists argue that cycles with negative effects should only be called "vicious cycles", but I ain't no prescriptivist.

Given I've actually heard vicious cycle in the real world for exactly that meaning many many times that doesn't exactly strike me as a prescriptivist position. Honestly "no no the CORRECT term for that is still 'virtuous cycle'" strikes me as an even MORE prescriptivist position.

(Which is not to say you can't use whatever you yourself prefer, it just struck me as funny reasoning.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
WASHINGTON — The former head of USA Gymnastics pleaded the Fifth at a congressional hearing on Tuesday, refusing to answer questions about his role in the sex abuse scandal surrounding Olympic team doctor and serial predator Larry Nassar.

How fun

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

mastershakeman posted:

WASHINGTON — The former head of USA Gymnastics pleaded the Fifth at a congressional hearing on Tuesday, refusing to answer questions about his role in the sex abuse scandal surrounding Olympic team doctor and serial predator Larry Nassar.

How fun

I for one am surprised.

/sarcasm

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

You've got that backwards. Vicious cycle is the actual expression, virtuous cycle has (very) recently been coined to mean a positive one.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Oh, look who decided to pop up in the news again

https://twitter.com/deadspin/status/1034181886694834177?s=21

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

There’s a Starr Report that won’t see the light of Day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good lord, that's some god tier level scum.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
A good new article exploring how people were deceived and deceived themselves:
https://www.thecut.com/amp/2018/11/how-did-larry-nassar-deceive-so-many-for-so-long.html

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FYI the USOC is revoking recognition of USA Gymnastics:

https://twitter.com/TeamUSA/status/1065285339365949440

Seems like they could either give it back once they get their poo poo together or create another organization and have that become the new national governing body.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Just let the women compete under the IOC flag at this point. The USOC doesn't deserve to get even the slightest credit for anything they achieve.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
USA Gymnastics just filed for bankruptcy. The article states that this puts a stop of discovery and depositions, which is some bullshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That is bullshit, those need to keep going even if I also want them obliterated as a company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

That is bullshit, those need to keep going even if I also want them obliterated as a company

It's almost certainly why they declared bankruptcy in the first place, as apparently preexisting insurance covers the damages. They want to quash the possibility of additional lawsuits by silencing the victims.