Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

C. Everett Koop posted:

And that's the issue. It's the case of absolute power corrupting absolutely once again. What the institution does doesn't matter, we've seen it from sports to religion to business to whatever. What matters is that men are in a position of power and use it to abuse anyone who isn't them. And people who aren't actively affected don't speak up because they don't want anything bad to happen to them because the vast majority of people are cowards.

The answer is that men cannot be in positions of power over women. They will abuse their privilege every time without exception, even if it's not in sexually explicit or exploitative ways.

Ok, how does that solve anything regarding the Penn State case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Ok, how does that solve anything regarding the Penn State case.

.....or the Catholic Church, or youth hockey, or soccer in England, or.....

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

Why do Americans think this?

Most every other country in the world has a non-university-based player development system for some/all of their sports. They still have the occasional issue with pedophiles, unfortunately, but it's absurd to suggest that professional sports depends on the NCAA system.

Quoting from a couple pages back to address this:
The NHL doesn't depend on colleges as a "free minor league". A large amount of NHL prospects come up through the Canadian junior leagues, where they do actually get paid if they make it to the top level of it (and thus can't be eligible for NCAA play if they don't make it to the NHL). That's not also getting into overseas prospects which do make up a good chunk of the players. A few bigger name players do come out of the NCAA, but not many do (the most recognizable names are almost all from the CHL or overseas at this point).

The NBA somewhat does, but only because it requires people to be one year removed from their high school class before they can be drafted, either by spending at least one year in college or at an overseas league (which leads to the "one and done" system in a lot of colleges). They also implemented a minor league team for every NBA team now as well. Baseball also largely doesn't (I forget the exact rules here, mostly because it's not brought up much), but that's also because of its extensive (very poorly) paid minor league system.

The NFL is the only real US sport that needs the NCAA as free minors. The other three of the big four could survive without it, though NBA and MLB would have to make some relatively easy adjustments compared to the NFL.

The problem is, and this is part of the whole overarching problem including that with MSU, is that these people hear about it, and they see two options:

1. Rock the boat, and potentially cause the entire house of cards to tumble down, but at what cost?
2. Do nothing.

It is especially noteworthy that universities will bend over backwards for a star football player (and occasionally a star basketball player, depending on how big the CBB program is) because it's such a massive cash cow for them. And here's my surprise when they look the other way when a staff member does it: :geno:. It's probably SOP to look the other way at this point for many universities, no matter who's causing it.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 23, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kalli posted:

Look at the David Bliss case for example. Baylor, early in the 2000's had one basketball player murder another. An assistant coach secretly recorded head coach David Bliss plotting to cover up cash payments he had made to the player (an NCAA violation) by painting him as a drug dealer. Bliss ended up eventually getting another head coaching job, while the assistant has been completely black balled and had his life destroyed.

(For those that don't follow sports, this is a very different Baylor case then the mass rape scandal they just went through).

Bliss has been blackballed from the NCAA and anything major though. I think he's spent most of the past decade coaching high school or equivalent basketball.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

Bliss has been blackballed from the NCAA and anything major though. I think he's spent most of the past decade coaching high school or equivalent basketball.

He went D-league, high school, NAIA and now high school again

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If we remove colleges and universities from the sporting landscape, we also remove Title IX as a method of investigating and enforcing Federal law in cases of sexual abuse/assault. If there's just some random minor league football team in some small town in Oklahoma or something, you're basically leaving the investigating up to the local police. I don't think that fixes anything and very likely makes things worse.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axeil posted:

Here's how this happens:

Someone gets a report of some wrongdoing. They (wrongly) consider it frivolous or non-credible and do nothing. Some time passes and they get another report of the same activity from a different person. Well poo poo, now they're in a real bind. If they investigate this one then people are going to ask why they didn't look into the other one. So they again ignore it or if they're forced to investigate they find nothing bad happened.

This goes on and on until eventually the dam breaks and people go public. People were too busy covering their asses and trying not to look bad and as a result every Olympic female gymnast has been molested (along with countless others). Or kids got raped in a shower in Pennsylvania. Or women were raped and browbeaten in Texas.

It's a culture issue yes, but it's also that people are more worried about saving their own asses than doing the right thing. I've seen this in my like and work and by and large people are very, very aethical. They're not unethical but they don't go out of their way to do the right thing when its hard. Sure they do it when it's easy, but when there's a risk or might be a cost or consequence to them? That's when the mouths stay shut and the silence remains.

I have no idea how to fix it, other than celebrating those who do take the very scary and difficult action of doing the ethical thing.

edit: unironically calling sports "sportsball" is :goonsay: as gently caress.

That's like, the minimum required standard though. The PSU punishments were laughable: a postseason ban (the team sucked anyway) and rescinding some scholarships. Even then the PSU fans howled bloody murder and the NCAA eventually was forced to rescind the punishments.

gently caress, did Baylor even get punished? That's the insane thing to me. You have massive, horrific sexual abuse rings and the NCAA shrugs. Meanwhile Reggie Bush gets paid under the table and is forced to return his Heisman trophy. Something is seriously wrong here.

Yeah that's how I envision it going. I think the answer is for every report to be investigated immediately so we don't hit the point where people in charge have to explain why they did nothing initially and aren't invested in covering their rear end. I know some companies are very explicit that managers have to report EVERYTHING they get told in regards to abuse to HR in order to avoid this sort of thing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e89IWTGdIuQ
25 minutes in, MSU trustee says 'we have more going on than just this 'nassar thing' and that they discussed Simon for 10 minutes out of their 5 hour trustee meeting. Brings up donors multiple times in relation to Simon. He doesn't loving care whatsoever and thinks people will move on when they find out that Nassar was 'on an island by himself' and that Simon will absolutely not get 'ran outta there by what someone else did.' Then he laughs about whether the NCAA might get involved. Laughs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

25 minutes in, MSU trustee says 'we have more going on than just this 'nassar thing' and that they discussed Simon for 10 minutes out of their 5 hour trustee meeting. Brings up donors multiple times in relation to Simon. He doesn't loving care whatsoever and thinks people will move on when they find out that Nassar was 'on an island by himself' and that Simon will absolutely not get 'ran outta there by what someone else did.' Then he laughs about whether the NCAA might get involved. Laughs.

Is "more going on" that Richard Spencer is coming to campus?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

are we pretending now that schools are super great with title ix enforcement because uh

that’s darkly hilarious

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

stone cold posted:

are we pretending now that schools are super great with title ix enforcement because uh

that’s darkly hilarious

No, nobody said that. That’s not even the point.

The failure of Title IX to be properly enforced should not lead us to eliminating those protections completely for thousands of young athletes by removing sports from colleges and universities.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mahoning posted:

No, nobody said that. That’s not even the point.

The failure of Title IX to be properly enforced should not lead us to eliminating those protections completely for thousands of young athletes by removing sports from colleges and universities.

what about the collegiate athletic system leads you to believe the protections are being more strictly enforced than the victimization

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Mattie Larson had a great impact statement today talking about how she purposely faked a fall in the shower just to get away from Nassar. She capped the whole thing off with “I can’t even put into words how much I loving hate you.”

https://deadspin.com/mattie-larson-to-larry-nassar-on-day-six-of-sentencing-1822348327

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
are people actually kramering into a thread about the largest sports scandal in history to complain about somebody saying "sportsball", because holy poo poo your priorities are hosed

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

mastershakeman posted:

That's just brash loving arrogance to look at this situation and not even be worried about the financial consequences for the school even if you don't give one poo poo about any of the victims.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

botany posted:

are people actually kramering into a thread about the largest sports scandal in history to complain about somebody saying "sportsball", because holy poo poo your priorities are hosed

the patriarchy, not even once

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/freep/status/955903878226116610

burn it to the ground imo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nothing to see here just an "inadvertent comment"
https://twitter.com/reporterdavidj/status/955970424734707712

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I am so loving disgusted with my alma mater right now. We already had a whole bunch of student-athlete rape and sexual assault allegations in just the past couple years that got glossed over, not to mention since I was attending there, and now the board is laughing poo poo off. There needs to be a cleansing from the top down, from rear end in a top hat Board members (I have no idea how this happens) to Simon through the entire athletic department, and if it includes Hollis, gently caress it, bye. Don't punish the students but rip every single person who heard about this and did nothing out of power.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 24, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

from rear end in a top hat Board members (I have no idea how this happens)
I've been wondering this as well. I'm assuming trustees can pressure each other to resign or possibly vote someone out, but it's clearly not a lone board member who isn't taking this seriously enough. So who steps in? The state? Do we have to wait until the election in November?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Don't forget, Michigan State also has a ton of recent football players getting arrested and charged for horrible things.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AsInHowe posted:

Don't forget, Michigan State also has a ton of recent football players getting arrested and charged for horrible things.

Hey guess what? I mentioned this and I'm not super happy about it either it turns out!!

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Henchman of Santa posted:

He went D-league, high school, NAIA and now high school again

That monster is coaching high school kids? gently caress man

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Some good news.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/sports/michigan-state-ncaa-investigation.html

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

purkey posted:

That monster is coaching high school kids? gently caress man

Yep, and it’s always at Christian schools.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is not a thread for being goony about sports in the abstract, it's about a corrupt as hell system in the real world that has destroyed real lives and needs fixing one way or another. posting "sportsball" in here is a punishable offense.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Penn State whistleblower Mike McQueary is currently divorced, unemployed, and living with his parents.

Greg Schiano is the defensive coordinator for Ohio State, making $700,000/year.

check this out guys!!

OHIO STATE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREG SCHIANO BLAMES HIMSELF, POOR COACHING FOR PENN STATE SCANDAL

"(Freeh) did a very nice job," Schiano said Tuesday. "We didn’t do a great job coaching. We didn’t get our guys to understand what was happening. They did a very good job."

"We had our opportunities to get him off the field, we didn’t do it," Schiano said. "When you don’t get off the field on third down, often times you live to see a lot of plays that you never needed to see, for a lot of different reasons. But we need to get all of it fixed, and it falls on me and our coaching staff to get that done. We have great whistleblowers. We’ve got to get them in a position to go blow whistles, and we’ve got to get it right fast."

"Entrenched predators are as multiple as any team we’ve played this year," Schiano said. "We really have to be on point. They do everything from gun-run game to what we saw the other year: multiple tight ends and heavy people, unbalanced sets all the way to what we do – gun-run, spread. And everything in between, if that makes sense. So this is a final exam for sure. We got our work cut out for us."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

This is good yes but the Penn State investigation was toothless and that was for football. There has to be serious legal action and top-level changes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is good yes but the Penn State investigation was toothless and that was for football. There has to be serious legal action and top-level changes.

You could argue that they’ll come down harder on a less popular sport (sort of like how they’ve given the death penalty to D3 tennis programs but will never do it to a major football program again) but trusting the NCAA to handle things properly is not wise.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the NCAA followed its own procedures and bylaws, they maybe could have made the PSU stuff stick and enact some real change. Instead the NCAA came down on PSU with a vague unilateral Strong Man routine in an attempt to look like they were doing something. Turns out they had no authority to do that, walked everything back, and poisoned the well for a long while

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

You could argue that they’ll come down harder on a less popular sport (sort of like how they’ve given the death penalty to D3 tennis programs but will never do it to a major football program again) but trusting the NCAA to handle things properly is not wise.

True. I feel like the most responsible thing to do would be to let all the gymnasts transfer immediately if they want, wipe out anyone who was associated with Nassar, get a new staff and go from there. But again, if the top isn't handled what does it even matter and how do you tell recruits "yes you won't get sexually assaulted" until a full overhaul takes place? Like sure Kathy is gone but what guarantees do you have that the people in charge of the new coach will do a loving thing to help you if she even reports anything? And really not even just the gymnastics team....it's so pervasive :smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Faculty also want Simon gone:
http://on.lsj.com/2F8YbcT

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GobiasIndustries posted:

But wouldn't serious legal action come from the Michigan Attorney General, not the NCAA? The problem the NCAA always runs into with this is that they're there to regulate the sport, not all the poo poo that happens around it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

But wouldn't serious legal action come from the Michigan Attorney General, not the NCAA? The problem the NCAA always runs into with this is that they're there to regulate the sport, not all the poo poo that happens around it.

Nassar was still an employee unlike Sandusky who had retired and hadn't been actively involved in the football program for a decade when all this poo poo came out.

So they probably can nail the coach and program for what they were doing.

The NCAA couldn't really do anything to Paterno after the indictment came out in November 2011 because he got cancer within about 2 weeks of the indictment and died in January 2012.

Everyone else but the dead guy did get sentenced to prison (though probably not for nearly long enough)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It wouldn't destroy sports, but it would destroy a lot of colleges.

Most colleges rely on sports to drive alumni donations and fundraising, to the point that many, many, many schools are functionally just support systems for a sportball team.

only 20 d1 schools generate a profit off their athletics programs

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As a whole, yes, it's likely that's the case, once you factor in every single sport at a school (beyond football and men's basketball, most every other sport does not do as well in terms of attendance and donors).

Football brings in a metric fuckton of money, and, in a vacuum, it's all but certain to be profitable for the school.

e: also what SKULL.GIF said.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just because they don't generate an overall profit doesn't mean that it isn't enormously enriching everyone* involved.

*: Not the athletes, most of the time.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Football brings in a metric fuckton of money, and, in a vacuum, it's all but certain to be profitable for the school.

there's a $45,000 difference in median loss between d1 schools with and without a football program

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017RES_D1-RevExp_Entire_2017_Final_20180123.pdf

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I read (ok, skimmed) that article and I am *extraordinarily* skeptical of it. Chase the Google results a bit deeper and there are several articles pointing out that universities get a lot of peripheral revenue from athletics that isn't on the actual books of the program itself. It drives alimni donations, etc.

I mean, I agree that for a lot of schools the athletics program is a vampire squid draining every other aspect of the schools' finances, but that happens because school alumni, administration, faculty, staff, and students all view athletics as the raison d'etre for the school as a whole and allocate the athletic programs primary importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Think of it this way: if you ask someone on the street what comes to mind when they hear "Duke University," would they be more likely to say the basketball program or its highly regarded academics?