Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/kimberkoz/status/956206272877158401

Also Henchman of Santa, if you say "Michigan University" I'm now going to forever think of it as "that place where the child molester worked" so. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also Henchman of Santa, if you say "Michigan University" I'm now going to forever think of it as "that place where the child molester worked" so. Yeah.

It was at Michigan State University, not University of Michigan.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just go listen to that rear end in a top hat MSU trustee's interview - the most important thing in his mind is the new basketball stadium that he's going into, paid for by the donors that Simon gladhanded. There's a vicious vicious cycle where the donors are sought after to pay for sporting complexes, which in turn are used to justify asking for more donations , and everything else can fall by the wayside. That's why losing a bunch of money on programs doesn't matter - it's about the prestige of having the program in the first place.

It'll be next to impossible to strip sports from private schools (even with student loan leverage the federal government has over them) but it can absolutely be pushed for against the public ones like MSU. If that ends up with Northwestern sitting alone in the big 10, fine. There can even be club level sports (UIUC has a great ice hockey team for instance) but presumably without the prestige of the varsity sport there'd be less incentive to cover up and perpetuate abuse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

That is both missing the point and missing the correct school (but for the record, more people probably associate UM with football than with being the top ranked public school in the country).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Reports of sexual misconduct by Dr. Larry Nassar reached at least 14 Michigan State University representatives in the two decades before his arrest, with no fewer than eight women reporting his actions, a Detroit News investigation has found.

Among those notified was MSU President Lou Anna Simon, who was informed in 2014 that a Title IX complaint and a police report had been filed against an unnamed physician, she told The News on Wednesday.

“I was informed that a sports medicine doctor was under investigation,” said Simon, who made the brief comments after appearing in court Wednesday to observe a sentencing hearing for Nassar. “I told people to play it straight up, and I did not receive a copy of the report. That’s the truth.”

Among the others who were aware of alleged abuse were athletic trainers, assistant coaches, a university police detective and an official who is now MSU’s assistant general counsel, according to university records and accounts of victims who spoke to The News.

Simon also said 'i didn't receive a copy of the report because i let it fall to the ground without touching it and had absolutely no intention of caring at all about what was in it, why should I give a poo poo about abuse here'

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/tech/2018/01/18/msu-president-told-nassar-complaint-2014/1042071001/

quote:

A 16-year-old high school student in Williamston, east of Lansing, Boyce began seeing Nassar after hurting her back in a youth gymnastics program at MSU.

Nassar put his fingers inside Boyce during weekly visits with him at his university office, and in a room near where the gymnasts practiced at Jenison Field House.

After a long appointment with Nassar at Jenison, a coach asked Boyce what was happening during that time. Boyce told the coach, who insisted that Boyce tell MSU’s then-head gymnastics coach, Kathie Klages. Boyce doesn’t remember the name of the female coach who approached her. But she still remembers the green carpet in Klages’ office and telling her Nassar had been “fingering” her during visits.
“She just couldn’t believe that was happening,” said Boyce, now 37. “She said I must be misunderstanding what was going on.” Klages, who was MSU women’s gymnastics coach for 27 seasons, brought several of Boyce’s fellow youth program gymnasts into her office and asked them if Nassar did the same to them. One of them said he had. That woman, who spoke to The News on condition of anonymity, was 14 then, and remembers knowing before the meeting they would be talking about Nassar. “I remember feeling — finally a female would be an advocate for me, and tell my dad and my mom and I won’t have to tell them about this awkward thing,” said the woman, now 35, who has filed a civil lawsuit against Nassar and MSU. “Finally we’re going to get help, something will change and we won’t have to go back to him. But that wasn’t the case. Instead, I felt very shamed.”
Boyce also felt intimidated and humiliated, and remembers what Klages said about filing a report. “She said, ‘I can file this, but there are going to be serious consequences for you and Nassar,’” Boyce said. “I said I didn’t want to get anyone in trouble.” Klages, who retired in February after victims came forward through lawsuits, declined to be interviewed regarding the incident or whether she told anyone else about the girls’ complaints. The response came through her attorney, Steven Stapleton of Grand Rapids.

quote:

In April 2014, MSU alum Amanda Thomashow told Dr. Jeff Kovan, of the MSU Sports Medicine Clinic, about possible sexual misconduct while on a March 24 visit to Nassar’s office for treatment of hip pain. Kovan reported the incident to the Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives, then the office that investigated sexual misconduct complaints under Title IX laws that bar discrimination on the basis of sex. The accuser also reported the abuse to the MSU police department in May 2014.

The Title IX complaint concluded that Nassar’s conduct was not of a sexual nature.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 24, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I read (ok, skimmed) that article and I am *extraordinarily* skeptical of it. Chase the Google results a bit deeper and there are several articles pointing out that universities get a lot of peripheral revenue from athletics that isn't on the actual books of the program itself. It drives alimni donations, etc.

I mean, I agree that for a lot of schools the athletics program is a vampire squid draining every other aspect of the schools' finances, but that happens because school alumni, administration, faculty, staff, and students all view athletics as the raison d'etre for the school as a whole and allocate the athletic programs primary importance.

similar to sports revenue, donations accrue to a handful of schools

for example university of michigan, which has as good an alumni network as any one and is one of the top recipients of alumni cash, donations make up a practically negligible fraction of their overall revenue

http://finance.umich.edu/reports/2016/wp-content/uploads/sites/56/2016/12/2016_Condensed_Financial_Report.pdf

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anyway this is a stupid derail and i'm agreeing with everyone who says ending college athletics and dismantling the ncaa won't significantly hurt schools

as with pretty much every other social ill, disassociating capital from spectator sports in general will do more to curb the potential for criminal activities

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

That is both missing the point and missing the correct school (but for the record, more people probably associate UM with football than with being the top ranked public school in the country).

Ah, my bad. Sorry.

https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/956214886002028546

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

anyway this is a stupid derail and i'm agreeing with everyone who says ending college athletics and dismantling the ncaa won't significantly hurt schools

as with pretty much every other social ill, disassociating capital from spectator sports in general will do more to curb the potential for criminal activities

fwiw many proponents of college sports also favor dismantling the NCAA

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

If you live in Michigan, pay attention to the state university board of trustee elections. It's hard to find info about them, but if we want to see justice we're going to need to replace those trustees.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The court room laughed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The NCAA is a corrupt as gently caress organization. It only happens to be overshadowed by IOC and FIFA, which is why it tends to slide under the radar. A lot of what they promote is that most of the student-athletes will move on to careers other than sports, which, to be fair is true for a vast majority of the kids. Division-I, where almost all of the athletes that do move on to the pros come from, is only 351 universities. 305 are Division-II, and 451 are Division-III.

The problem is the NCAA has draconian rules involving the students and money. A kicker got suspended by the NCAA because he was monetizing youtube videos of him kicking the football. Gods forbid you even pay these people, then the NCAA will come on you harder than anything else.

Systematic rape and the protection of it? They look the other way and don't care, which, to be fair, is arguably outside of their purview (as previously brought up).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

He also said his treatments worked, he did nothing wrong, etc.

https://twitter.com/kimberkoz/status/956214755097706499
https://twitter.com/kimberkoz/status/956215207881211904

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/956219316738850816

:toot:

edit: https://twitter.com/MattMencarini/status/956220116714315778

The bastard's gonna rot!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 24, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Taking down all the people who enabled him is going to take years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd rather he just be executed, but that's another whole can of worms.

SKULL.GIF posted:

If it even happens. That's the whole point of this thread. What's extra weird to me is that every person in power over his most recent crimes was a woman (Marta Karolyi, Simon, Klages) and they didn't do a drat thing either. Humans are evil.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mastershakeman posted:

I don't support the death penalty for a number of reasons, but emotionally speaking, it's difficult to not want this fucker broken on the wheel.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I'm against execution because it's so easy to misuse it and kill the wrong person...but damnit, some monsters need to burn.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's not going to happen. I hate to be the cynic, but now that Nassar's left to rot the rats are going to thrive. Which is sick.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

If it even happens. That's the whole point of this thread. What's extra weird to me is that every person in power over his most recent crimes was a woman (Marta Karolyi, Simon, Klages) and they didn't do a drat thing either. Humans are evil.

Do it the old fashioned way. Lock him in a room with a gun with one bullet for an hour.

Actually, would that be considered cruel and unusual punishment? You're not making the person kill themselves, just making it incredibly easy to do so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Functionally I highly doubt he is going to live very long and is likely to die in a rather more painful and quite possibly expedient manner than if he is executed.

Seth Galifianakis
Dec 29, 2012

captainblastum posted:

If you live in Michigan, pay attention to the state university board of trustee elections. It's hard to find info about them, but if we want to see justice we're going to need to replace those trustees.

The MSU BOT has been a train wreck for years. Hopefully this finally leads to a reset button and maybe some reforms to how they're elected. I don't know if this is the norm in other states, but electing the BOT is done in state-wide partisan elections in federal election years here, meaning party ID and having a prominent name is 99% of what decides it. This has led to perpetual family dynasties and a bunch of former MSU athletes getting elected to the board.

The current chairman is a former basketball player and the basketball arena is named after his dad.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Seth Galifianakis posted:

The MSU BOT has been a train wreck for years. Hopefully this finally leads to a reset button and maybe some reforms to how they're elected. I don't know if this is the norm in other states, but electing the BOT is done in state-wide partisan elections in federal election years here, meaning party ID and having a prominent name is 99% of what decides it. This has led to perpetual family dynasties and a bunch of former MSU athletes getting elected to the board.

The current chairman is a former basketball player and the basketball arena is named after his dad.

It's this way for Michigan, Michigan State, and Wayne State. It easily allows some rich people to campaign their way on in a wave election, which never ends well.

For Michigan, this is how the whole Dave Brandon thing started.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

OwlFancier posted:

Functionally I highly doubt he is going to live very long and is likely to die in a rather more painful and quite possibly expedient manner than if he is executed.

A guard about to retire will "somehow" allow an inmate already in for life to "slip past" a checkpoint, and that's the likely end of Nassar's story.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

quote:

In fact, I can argue convincingly that none of those three institutions should continue to exist in its current form. USA Gymnastics and the USOC should lose their non-profit status forthwith. Michigan State should lose its status within the NCAA for at least five years. American gymnastics is no longer a sport. It’s a conspiracy of pedophiles and their enablers.

quote:

Aly Raisman came for everyone.

She came for every drat one of them.

They should carve Aly Raisman’s entire statement into the walls of the lobby of every athletic organization in the world. They should put her in charge of the Olympics. Larry Nassar should live in a cage long enough to hear about every great thing that Aly Raisman ever does. He will look through bars forever. He should have some company there, too.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/01/24/larry-nassar-sentencing-usa-gymnastics-abuse-victims-michigan-state

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 24, 2018

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

...There can even be club level sports (UIUC has a great ice hockey team for instance) but presumably without the prestige of the varsity sport there'd be less incentive to cover up and perpetuate abuse....

Personally, I'd expect things to be even worse... Some dorky little club isn't going to have an administrator whose job it is to receive/review complains, nor will it have the same incentives to protect the larger brand. And, of course, it would screw lots of innocent athletes who won't get scholarships anymore.

FWIW, being an accessory after the fact is a crime too. Frog-walk a few athletic directors, provosts, etc and things will change quickly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

A guard about to retire will "somehow" allow an inmate already in for life to "slip past" a checkpoint, and that's the likely end of Nassar's story.

I think this happens in movies more than real life. Jerry Sandusky is still alive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I get that it's normal to want this bastard to suffer a horrible fate -- I mean, god knows I certainly do -- but, as with any awful criminal, we should treat him humanely and ethically. He did these things because he was unable to grasp the fact that just because he wanted something, doesn't mean he should act on his desire. In punishing him, we must make sure we do not do the same thing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This is an incredible sports editorial. It reads like a page out of a manifesto but it's absolutely correct.

Burn it all down. This is the largest crime and cover-up not just in American sports but is arguably one of the biggest crimes and cover-ups in America since Watergate.

PT6A posted:

I get that it's normal to want this bastard to suffer a horrible fate -- I mean, god knows I certainly do -- but, as with any awful criminal, we should treat him humanely and ethically. He did these things because he was unable to grasp the fact that just because he wanted something, doesn't mean he should act on his desire. In punishing him, we must make sure we do not do the same thing.

The rational part of my brain agrees, but it's so hard to override that emotional desire to retribution and vengeance.

It's why I have serious doubts about my ability to ever be impartial on a jury when it comes to crimes related to abuse of power. These people should burn but they also deserve to be treated fairly...and yet they didn't treat all these women fairly. They didn't give them a fair shake.

So why the gently caress should we do it to those who didn't give a poo poo about upholding their responsibilities.

Ugh. :smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 24, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PT6A posted:

I mean, on the other hand, I think possibly it's a lot worse if you molest hundreds of girls than murder the person who molested hundreds of girls. Like the two don't really have much moral equivalence I don't think.

Like sure great an upstanding and just legal system would be dandy but as we haven't got one, the lovely brutalizing one we do have really couldn't happen to a nicer person in this instance.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, on the other hand, I think possibly it's a lot worse if you molest hundreds of girls than murder the person who molested hundreds of girls. Like the two don't really have much moral equivalence I don't think.

Like sure great an upstanding and just legal system would be dandy but as we haven't got one, the lovely brutalizing one we do have really couldn't happen to a nicer person in this instance.

Yikes. If we want give him the death penalty, then we should do so openly. Our casual tolerance prison abuse is disgusting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again, like, in general sure but in this specific instance I really don't care what horrible things happen to the fucker.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

axeil posted:

This is an incredible sports editorial. It reads like a page out of a manifesto but it's absolutely correct.

Burn it all down. This is the largest crime and cover-up not just in American sports but is arguably one of the biggest crimes and cover-ups in America since Watergate.

Nobody throws bombs as eloquently as Charlie Pierce.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I get that he's gonna die in prison and nothing's gonna change that but when you math it out, the max on that is less than 1 year per victim and that's really sad.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

axeil posted:

The rational part of my brain agrees, but it's so hard to override that emotional desire to retribution and vengeance.
which is why judges (generally) do sentencing, not juries
the whole case is just so crushingly depressing. the only good thing is that these young women got to have their day in court, and thats...not huge in the scheme of things.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The Detroit Free Press just tweeted out the name of every victim who gave an impact statement in court, and... gently caress

https://twitter.com/freep/status/956223200853143552

https://twitter.com/freep/status/956233469595652098

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

RevKrule posted:

I get that he's gonna die in prison and nothing's gonna change that but when you math it out, the max on that is less than 1 year per victim and that's really sad.

After a certain point, there really is no reason to use a comically high sentence. I mean he could be sentenced for 5 years per person, and get a 1,000 year sentence, but 50 years or 1,000 years, it will make no difference. The guy will likely spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement for his own protection. Imagine spending the remainder of your life in solitary, that poo poo is psychological torture.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

After a certain point, there really is no reason to use a comically high sentence. I mean he could be sentenced for 5 years per person, and get a 1,000 year sentence, but 50 years or 1,000 years, it will make no difference. The guy will likely spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement for his own protection. Imagine spending the remainder of your life in solitary, that poo poo is psychological torture.

I'm glad you have your priorities straight. Sure, this may have been a monster who systematically abused young girls and women for decades without repercussion until now, ruining countless number of lives, but the important thing is to remember that the real victim here is the guy who's going to have to face consequences for his actions, and that inconveniencing him and hurting his feelings is what's truly beyond the pale here.

Perhaps we should schedule regular unsupervised field trips from the local elementary schools to his cell, just to make sure his time in prison isn't too difficult.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure the sentiment there is that perpetual solitary confinement is unfair, merely that it is extremely unpleasant.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think this happens in movies more than real life. Jerry Sandusky is still alive.

I have family that lives in the region where Sandusky is imprisoned, and I think the word is they stashed him in what used to be death row (PA hasn't formally repealed the death penalty, but they haven't implemented it since 1999 and it's currently suspended).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Again, like, in general sure but in this specific instance I really don't care what horrible things happen to the fucker.

Many people want to make exceptions for their specific instance. gently caress this pedo and all, but it only serves to make the rest of us worse to engage in viciousness.