Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It wouldn't destroy sports, but it would destroy a lot of colleges.

Most colleges rely on sports to drive alumni donations and fundraising, to the point that many, many, many schools are functionally just support systems for a sportball team.

only 20 d1 schools generate a profit off their athletics programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Football brings in a metric fuckton of money, and, in a vacuum, it's all but certain to be profitable for the school.

there's a $45,000 difference in median loss between d1 schools with and without a football program

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017RES_D1-RevExp_Entire_2017_Final_20180123.pdf

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I read (ok, skimmed) that article and I am *extraordinarily* skeptical of it. Chase the Google results a bit deeper and there are several articles pointing out that universities get a lot of peripheral revenue from athletics that isn't on the actual books of the program itself. It drives alimni donations, etc.

I mean, I agree that for a lot of schools the athletics program is a vampire squid draining every other aspect of the schools' finances, but that happens because school alumni, administration, faculty, staff, and students all view athletics as the raison d'etre for the school as a whole and allocate the athletic programs primary importance.

similar to sports revenue, donations accrue to a handful of schools

for example university of michigan, which has as good an alumni network as any one and is one of the top recipients of alumni cash, donations make up a practically negligible fraction of their overall revenue

http://finance.umich.edu/reports/2016/wp-content/uploads/sites/56/2016/12/2016_Condensed_Financial_Report.pdf

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anyway this is a stupid derail and i'm agreeing with everyone who says ending college athletics and dismantling the ncaa won't significantly hurt schools

as with pretty much every other social ill, disassociating capital from spectator sports in general will do more to curb the potential for criminal activities