Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's always insane to me that at the core of these sorts of cases it's just one guy who may not even be at the top, but literally everyone is willing to cover and feed more kids to them. It's so evil and frankly I agree gently caress these sports but realistically I don't see how they could ever be divested from colleges since people care way more about watching their team win than the amount of people that get thrown to rapists.

There was recently a story where Maryland public schools covered for some teacher's aid molesting students in a similar way. It just doesn't seem to matter who it is but institutions are absolutely fine leaving these monsters around their victims.

EDIT: Haha I just looked it up and of course he was also the track coach. gently caress school sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's not quite possible, it's absolutely assured. People will sacrifice as many children and young adults to sex predators as is necessary to keep the sports going.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The NCAA is an absolute scam. Coaches and colleges getting rich while the players get "experience" is totally not needed for sports to exist. It's needed for those institutions and individuals to get paid large amounts of money which is why they won't go anywhere.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axeil posted:

Here's how this happens:

Someone gets a report of some wrongdoing. They (wrongly) consider it frivolous or non-credible and do nothing. Some time passes and they get another report of the same activity from a different person. Well poo poo, now they're in a real bind. If they investigate this one then people are going to ask why they didn't look into the other one. So they again ignore it or if they're forced to investigate they find nothing bad happened.

This goes on and on until eventually the dam breaks and people go public. People were too busy covering their asses and trying not to look bad and as a result every Olympic female gymnast has been molested (along with countless others). Or kids got raped in a shower in Pennsylvania. Or women were raped and browbeaten in Texas.

It's a culture issue yes, but it's also that people are more worried about saving their own asses than doing the right thing. I've seen this in my like and work and by and large people are very, very aethical. They're not unethical but they don't go out of their way to do the right thing when its hard. Sure they do it when it's easy, but when there's a risk or might be a cost or consequence to them? That's when the mouths stay shut and the silence remains.

I have no idea how to fix it, other than celebrating those who do take the very scary and difficult action of doing the ethical thing.

edit: unironically calling sports "sportsball" is :goonsay: as gently caress.

That's like, the minimum required standard though. The PSU punishments were laughable: a postseason ban (the team sucked anyway) and rescinding some scholarships. Even then the PSU fans howled bloody murder and the NCAA eventually was forced to rescind the punishments.

gently caress, did Baylor even get punished? That's the insane thing to me. You have massive, horrific sexual abuse rings and the NCAA shrugs. Meanwhile Reggie Bush gets paid under the table and is forced to return his Heisman trophy. Something is seriously wrong here.

Yeah that's how I envision it going. I think the answer is for every report to be investigated immediately so we don't hit the point where people in charge have to explain why they did nothing initially and aren't invested in covering their rear end. I know some companies are very explicit that managers have to report EVERYTHING they get told in regards to abuse to HR in order to avoid this sort of thing.