Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

How would you not delete that?

Maybe he did try to wipe everything, but he had so many he just missed one.

Now we can hope he'll roll over on everyone else in the administration. God I hope so.

It's possible that he either forgot he had it or figured he wouldn't get caught. If memory serves the entire board of one of the organizations Nassar was involved in already resigned so I'm going to guess the rot goes pretty deep. I'm expecting more arrests over the next few months myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well you know what we say around these parts; always more, always worse.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

It makes him sound almost developmentally stunted it's such a juvenile and monstrous thought. He's a sociopath with the moral decision making process if a horned up 15-year-old. There's no way someone who says something like they doesn't throw off warning signs regardless of topic. That this guy was in charge of something means someone interviewed him and ignored the warnings signs anyway. Or he started low on the totem pole and was promoted in spite of his issues.

My guess is that it's more likely that he's just a sociopath and/or a narcissist. From what I've been reading that type of personality will do anything to get ahead so they tend to stand out. They're very, very good at figuring out what people want and will give whoever controls the promotions exactly that while downplaying whatever awful stuff they get up to or finding ways to hide it. That personality cluster is superficially charming and deviouisly manipulative so it's more likely he managed to convince the victims it was their own fault or created themselves such a spectacular veneer of respectability that nobody believes their victims.

In an interview I'm going to guess he didn't say that sort of thing and didn't throw up any red flags. The worst predators are generally social chameleons that are incredibly good at getting away with poo poo.

Notice that when somebody like Nassar goes down there's a lot of "but he seemed so niiiiiiiiiice!!!!" going around. Same thing here, really; a guy like that will manage to arrange it so that he looks like a pillar of the organization who just cares so much about others. Then it turns out he's a loving creep.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Feinne posted:

There'd be abuses even if there were no money at all involved, because winning is its own reward.

Yup. It also isn't even limited to the major sports either. If a college has a team of any sort that has a reputation they'll chase the gently caress out of any prominent high school student that is very good. Basketball, football, baseball, swimming, track, diving...doesn't matter. If the school has a respected team they want to keep it that way. Free rides for academically weak students, bullshit blowoff classes, anything they can get away with legally, and anything illegal they can manage to hide they'll do.

College sports is just a mess overall.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Probably something that requires more of a controlled burn. College sports has basically become irreparably corrupt at this point so burn that down. Greek life also has serious problems; does a frat have a reputation for being a rape house? Burn it down.

But the whole education system? That's a bit extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I think it can be taken a number of ways.

The way I look at the issue is: right now, to be an offender, you have to a) have the desire to commit rape/molestation, b) not understand or care about the effect of acting on that desire to the victim, c) not be afraid of the consequences of getting caught, and d) have the opportunity to offend.

We know that, sadly, there are a lot of rapists and child molesters in this world, simply because we know there are far too many victims. But the frightening thing is that logic would suggest that there are lots of people who have that desire, but don't fit one or more of criteria b, c and d above. I don't know if that's a fixable problem, but the factors we can control as a society are making sure that there are less opportunities to offend in the first place, and making potential offenders realize they are likely to get caught and the consequences will be severe. That's why it's crucial that we destroy any institutions that provide access for offenders to target victims, or protect them from the consequences of their actions after the fact.

One of the biggest snags are enablers, really; in the case of Nassar there are a lot of people who should already be in jail with him. Anybody that knew it was going on and either helped it happen or helped cover it up deserve to be punished just as much as he does. Also in his case he managed to create this aura around himself that he was a super awesome standup dude who just wanted to doctor the hell out of gymnastics so the people doing it could follow their dreams. If memory serves that's one of the reasons that your predatory personalities focus heavily on their image; if you can convince everybody you're not a monster then you can hide the fact that you are. The people who knowingly helped that along and created the extremely rigid system where you never, ever questioned anything the authorities told you are complicit in his actions. Really anybody who responded to accusations with "what, you think he's capable of that? No, he's too nice. Go away" is just as much of a problem as the monster.

I think there probably are lots of people who have had thoughts about sex crimes but never acted on them. Overall I think most people have been tempted to commit a serious crime at least once in their life but what makes the difference between a monster and a normal person is that the normal person can think "no, it would be wrong to act on that so I won't." You're right, though; institutions that allow predators to prey on others with impunity or help it along need to be dealt with harshly. Repeating myself but the people that helped Nassar get away with it are just as guilty as he is.