Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

OwlFancier posted:

Functionally I highly doubt he is going to live very long and is likely to die in a rather more painful and quite possibly expedient manner than if he is executed.

A guard about to retire will "somehow" allow an inmate already in for life to "slip past" a checkpoint, and that's the likely end of Nassar's story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think this happens in movies more than real life. Jerry Sandusky is still alive.

I have family that lives in the region where Sandusky is imprisoned, and I think the word is they stashed him in what used to be death row (PA hasn't formally repealed the death penalty, but they haven't implemented it since 1999 and it's currently suspended).

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Rachael Denhollander (the first woman to publically accuse Nassar of sexual assault) was the last woman to speak at the sentencing. She's a loving hero.
e: updating with better video that a) doesn't stutter and b) ends with her standing ovation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wehpkiflXMs

I watched that entire video.

She's 100% right in everything she said.

Not through any fault of her own, it still doesn't address the problems in USA Gymnastics or the worldwide problems of the sport.

The entire sport is based on exploiting young girls to (and beyond) their breaking points and I have no idea how to fix it. If you set an Olympic age minimum of 20 years old, you're still "farming" them out to years of horrific training so that when they reach that age, they're already like the 3-year-old horses that run the Triple Crown races: their entire lives have been spent to prepare them for a few weeks of life-altering competition which can lead to horrific results.

Everything about women's Olympic-level gymnastics has always seemed incredibly exploitative and creepy to me to the point that even when USA women win, I always wondered "what hells did they go through to get to that point?"

I guess we know now.

But hey, they sure boosted that medal count in the most televised events, so P&G and NBC made their money back.

Burn everything.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Florida Gulf Coast University is in Fort Myers, a couple hours south of the Tampa Bay area. It was established in 1991 and had pretty much zero recognition in the state, let alone nationally.

Then in 2013 their basketball team made the NCAA tournament as a huge underdog and dunked all over some big-name schools on national TV before losing in the third round.

Within the year, admissions spiked 27%. In the first four days of their tournament run, pageviews on their admissions page went from 2,200 to 42,000.

Athletics are a way for bigger, older schools to stay relevant in the public eye and every so often let a newer, smaller school grab some eyeballs and attention. Alabama and Ohio State and UT-Austin are never gonna be hurting for kids trying to get in, but athletics are a way to show prestige (because nobody cares how many Nobel Prize winners are on your faculty, lol). Millions of people heard about FGCU for the first time through basketball and it's going to fuel their enrollment push for years to come.

Smaller schools treat athletics as a sort of lottery ticket, I guess. Get a week or two of national TV and it could mean tens of millions of dollars over a lot of years. Big or small, universities are incentivized to hide as much dirt as they can because there are obscene amounts of money at stake. It's a lovely system built for exploitation of free labor, but it is what it is. Hilariously, one way to offset this would be adequate federal and state funding for colleges and universities, but :lol:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

If you want to see another by-product of this system, watch Last Chance U on Netflix.

It's a documentary series about a community college in Nowheresville, MS that exists pretty much solely to take in football players who wash out of big-name schools for various reasons (academics, crime, drugs, etc) for a year and give them a place to play football while they do whatever they need to become eligible for another big-name school.

The coach is there to rent these kids for a year and win games. The kids are there to get back to being a cog in another big-time football factory. It becomes apparent very quickly that as far back as elementary school, nobody has ever given a drat if the players ever learned anything as long as they were faster, bigger, or stronger than other football kids.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

And only one man in a (frankly) minor sport. I am supremely curious what something like Alabama's football team covers up on a yearly basis.

An argument could be made that 'Bama could be one of the cleaner programs around if they chose because if some five-star recruit gets arrested, there are ten more waiting to replace him. (They're probably as shady as any other program, but it's a thing to consider)

The real dirt is found in places like Baylor and Michigan St because they can't afford to lose multiple starters without the on-field product taking a huge hit. That means everyone's job from the positions coach to the head coach to the athletic director is at stake, and they're all incentivized to just keep winning at any cost.

It really is amazing that Michigan St has managed to combine the worst facets of the Penn St and Baylor scandals into one gigantic pot of hornet nest stew. One would hope that if anything could spur the NCAA or even the Big Ten to action, it'd be this. nothing will be done, we live in hell now

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Willie Tomg posted:

Honestly that defense attorney probably legitimately doesn't know whether to poo poo or go blind over this case. Like, where can she even begin attempting to do her job regarding this guy?

Since he pled guilty, shouldn't her job be to basically just sit there and say "yes, your honor" a few times?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oh, look who decided to pop up in the news again

https://twitter.com/deadspin/status/1034181886694834177?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Just let the women compete under the IOC flag at this point. The USOC doesn't deserve to get even the slightest credit for anything they achieve.