Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Radish posted:

It's always insane to me that at the core of these sorts of cases it's just one guy who may not even be at the top, but literally everyone is willing to cover and feed more kids to them. It's so evil and frankly I agree gently caress these sports but realistically I don't see how they could ever be divested from colleges since people care way more about watching their team win than the amount of people that get thrown to rapists.

Here's how this happens:

Someone gets a report of some wrongdoing. They (wrongly) consider it frivolous or non-credible and do nothing. Some time passes and they get another report of the same activity from a different person. Well poo poo, now they're in a real bind. If they investigate this one then people are going to ask why they didn't look into the other one. So they again ignore it or if they're forced to investigate they find nothing bad happened.

This goes on and on until eventually the dam breaks and people go public. People were too busy covering their asses and trying not to look bad and as a result every Olympic female gymnast has been molested (along with countless others). Or kids got raped in a shower in Pennsylvania. Or women were raped and browbeaten in Texas.

It's a culture issue yes, but it's also that people are more worried about saving their own asses than doing the right thing. I've seen this in my like and work and by and large people are very, very aethical. They're not unethical but they don't go out of their way to do the right thing when its hard. Sure they do it when it's easy, but when there's a risk or might be a cost or consequence to them? That's when the mouths stay shut and the silence remains.

I have no idea how to fix it, other than celebrating those who do take the very scary and difficult action of doing the ethical thing.

edit: unironically calling sports "sportsball" is :goonsay: as gently caress.

exploded mummy posted:

They fired the coaches, ADs and university presidents in both Baylor and Penn State scandals

That's like, the minimum required standard though. The PSU punishments were laughable: a postseason ban (the team sucked anyway) and rescinding some scholarships. Even then the PSU fans howled bloody murder and the NCAA eventually was forced to rescind the punishments.

gently caress, did Baylor even get punished? That's the insane thing to me. You have massive, horrific sexual abuse rings and the NCAA shrugs. Meanwhile Reggie Bush gets paid under the table and is forced to return his Heisman trophy. Something is seriously wrong here.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One big step is educating people to take allegations seriously and investigate them and document that they have investigated them, and hold people responsible for not investigating.

That said it is going to be a frequent occurrence that specific allegations will be "unfounded," especially among vulnerable populations, because prosecutors have discretion and aren't going to file a case unless they are very sure of conviction, but the more you establish a track record the more credibility each independent allegation adds.

I think the issue is that there's such a huge incentive to cover things up or do internal investigations that find nothing. The Outrage Machine gets going against your school and suddenly you don't have donors donating, kids aren't applying, people aren't coming to games, etc. Making the punishments stricter may just make things worse as now people are gonna really go to the ends of the earth to cover things up if the punishment is all but public execution. What are the lives of a few/a dozen/a few dozen people to save your career and institution?

At the same time, if the punishment is a slap on the wrist, then the victims won't get any justice. I think one of the things we've seen with
sports, the Catholic Church, policing, etc. is that people fundamentally are incapable of policing themselves.

The only way you can change this is to make the right choice also the easy choice...but hell if I know how to do that.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 23, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Penn State whistleblower Mike McQueary is currently divorced, unemployed, and living with his parents.

Greg Schiano is the defensive coordinator for Ohio State, making $700,000/year.

Exactly. Typically what you get for bringing abuse or wrong-doing to light is the destruction of your career and everything you love and care about because the institution you've destroyed uses the last of its power and influence to smear and destroy you.

Look what happened to the Enron whistleblowers. Or Snowden (although that case is a bit different). It is very, very painful and difficult for people to come forward when an organization they're a part of is doing something wrong/covering things up.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I'd rather he just be executed, but that's another whole can of worms.

If it even happens. That's the whole point of this thread. What's extra weird to me is that every person in power over his most recent crimes was a woman (Marta Karolyi, Simon, Klages) and they didn't do a drat thing either. Humans are evil.

Do it the old fashioned way. Lock him in a room with a gun with one bullet for an hour.

Actually, would that be considered cruel and unusual punishment? You're not making the person kill themselves, just making it incredibly easy to do so.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This is an incredible sports editorial. It reads like a page out of a manifesto but it's absolutely correct.

Burn it all down. This is the largest crime and cover-up not just in American sports but is arguably one of the biggest crimes and cover-ups in America since Watergate.

PT6A posted:

I get that it's normal to want this bastard to suffer a horrible fate -- I mean, god knows I certainly do -- but, as with any awful criminal, we should treat him humanely and ethically. He did these things because he was unable to grasp the fact that just because he wanted something, doesn't mean he should act on his desire. In punishing him, we must make sure we do not do the same thing.

The rational part of my brain agrees, but it's so hard to override that emotional desire to retribution and vengeance.

It's why I have serious doubts about my ability to ever be impartial on a jury when it comes to crimes related to abuse of power. These people should burn but they also deserve to be treated fairly...and yet they didn't treat all these women fairly. They didn't give them a fair shake.

So why the gently caress should we do it to those who didn't give a poo poo about upholding their responsibilities.

Ugh. :smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 24, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Good first step. Now file charges.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Good.

Just like the MSU President, they need to file charges next.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://deadspin.com/entire-usa-gymnastics-board-will-resign-1822463738

Entire USA Gymnastics Board Will Resign

quote:

A day after the U.S. Olympic Committee gave them an ultimatum to resign within six days or have the entire governing body decertified, the 16 remaining USA Gymnastics board members agreed to step down in the wake of the organization enabling Larry Nassar to sexually abuse dozens of girls and women while he was a doctor for them and Michigan State University. A USA Gymnastics spokesperson told Reuters today that “USA Gymnastics will comply with the USOC requirements.”

After failing to send a single representative to Nassar’s sentencing earlier this month, the USOC has used the threat of decertification (which would remove USAG’s ability to pick national teams for the Olympics, and much more) to effectively clean house at the governing body. Michigan State president Lou Anna Simon and athletic director Mark Hollis also resigned this week over their complicity in Nassar’s abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/957056460327964673

This is systemic and the NCAA is unable and unwilling to do anything at all.

:stare: Holy poo poo. It just keeps on getting worse.